Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

An Interesting Day At Lexus Leicester.

My new to me LS430 has an inoperable A/C system, the repairs so far have included, new condenser, new compressor, and still couldn't get it to work , so I thought ,"bite the bullet " and take her to Lexus.

They would diagnose the true remaining fault , that would cost me £90 but at least I'd have a definite answer.

They diagnosed a new pressure switch costing £295 +vat

and half an hour labour.

( great news because only last week they quoted me at least 2 hours labour )

So I agreed to go ahead , 2 3/4 hours later workshop manager told me that the new part was fitted and made no difference at all , and gave me a full refund for the £90 and refused to charge for the new parts and fitting.

As he said , " We diagnosed the fault and were wrong , so the work is at our cost "

Couldn't ask for better service.

• Like 2

................ well, if Lexus diagnosis can't solve the problem what on earth can !!!

Presumably you have been to the very best independent AirCon practitioner you can find ?

Malc

Yes. Starting with a leaking condenser, pressured up and blew a section of pipe , found the compressor seized,replaced that only to find this system worked when it wanted to. Pressure switch was the next choice of both the independent and Lexus, now that that has been ruled out , the only thing left is the ECU.

Nice to see a dealership taking ownership of their own diagnosis. :)

Hard to believe the ECU is at fault but possible is guess. Has the wiring been fully tested?

I'd try and find an ECU from a breakers rather than paying £800+ for a new one.

I've had a look on line and I have First Choice Spares looking for the part.

Lexus told me that the part is on sale or return, so if it dousn't work I'll only be charged labour, though to be honest , that's the only thing left that could be faulty.

And , yes, Lexus did check the wiring.

Yes. Starting with a leaking condenser, pressured up and blew a section of pipe , found the compressor seized,replaced that only to find this system worked when it wanted to.

Thoughts from a Lexus duff A/C novice:

1) Ex Lexus tech 'Dave' said that cutting and sealing the pipes to the rear A/C is common.

If yours has been chopped, & was filled as though the rear system existed, then would not that cause some damage?

2) Phil 'The-Acre' has a system with a mind of its own too.

Moisture freezing because it was wasn't vacuumed totally before your (second) refill?

Nice to see a dealership taking ownership of their own diagnosis. :)

Hard to believe the ECU is at fault but possible is guess. Has the wiring been fully tested?

I'd try and find an ECU from a breakers rather than paying £800+ for a new one.

There are people who fix ecu systems - have a look on Honest John's Web Site - don't buy a new one unless you are really sure.

I'm with Colin - I would look elsewhere first.

Bren

• Like 1

My new to me LS430 has an inoperable A/C system, the repairs so far have included, new condenser, new compressor, and still couldn't get it to work , so I thought ,"bite the bullet " and take her to Lexus.

They would diagnose the true remaining fault , that would cost me £90 but at least I'd have a definite answer.

They diagnosed a new pressure switch costing £295 +vat

and half an hour labour.

( great news because only last week they quoted me at least 2 hours labour )

So I agreed to go ahead , 2 3/4 hours later workshop manager told me that the new part was fitted and made no difference at all , and gave me a full refund for the £90 and refused to charge for the new parts and fitting.

As he said , " We diagnosed the fault and were wrong , so the work is at our cost "

Couldn't ask for better service.

Did they retest it?

I went to get my Air Con re-gassed only to be told that there were some big leaks in the system.

Fortunately, my local garage confirmed that the pipes needed replacing and that the condenser and pump seemed to work fine.

The pipes cost me £300 in parts alone (the pipe for the rear air conditioning cost £200 alone) and 5 hours of labour later and the car is now back to being ice cold

Hope you can get your fault diagnosed and sorted out and back in full working order

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links