Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

How Do I Change Ls400 Year 2000 Front Roll Bar Bushes?

Hi

I can find plenty of posts and guides on early LS400 roll bar bush changes but nought on the later cars...except that it is harder?

I've a clunck over speed bumps and on hitting the brakes from the front end.

Given that the MOT did not even advise on any wear anywhere, I think these may be likely culprits.

Car has 73k on clock.

Any advice?

I would give all front bushes and ball joints a thorough check before throwing any money at parts that might not be the cause of the knock.

Mine was knocking too when going over bumps and braking and that was due to worn bushes in the upper control arm.

• Like 1

Simon, Changing the anti-roll bar bushes on the later models, i.e. on a mk4 like mine, are not any harder to do than on earlier models. I've changed mine and it's a relatively cheap and easy job to do for your average DIYer. Some of the other bushes are MUCH harder to replace. Some of the noise I was getting was coming from the shock absorber top mounts, so I had those replaced. No noises any more. In your case it could be your front strut rods though, and they are expensive. You'll need your Weetabix in order to fit them if you go the DIY route.

• Like 1

I cannot see the anti roll bushes being the problem on a 80k 2000 it is more likely to be the upper control arms as the symptom of knocking as you apply the brakes is the red flag for worn upper control arm hub bushes.

The quickest way to check is jack up the front of the car so the wheels are just clear of the ground ,place a large pry bar at the bottom of the wheel and apply upward pressure at the same time clasp the hub bush .If it is worn you will feel it knocking on pressure application and release,this simulates the exact scenario of brake application.

• Like 2

Look to import from the US, plenty of third party products available which even if they only last half as long as the OEMs mean you're ok for another 7 years. Take a look at Rockauto.com as a starting point.

couldnt see them on rockautos website

Malc

The UCAs went on mine at 95k ,I take your point on the age and mileage but the bush wear comes from different use scenarios .if the car as been used mainly in a urban /city environment it will have had a lot more wear than travelling long trips up and down motorways.

blimey, my UCAs on my Mk1 lasted about 160k miles and I've just replaced one now at 174k miles .......... the other side seemed to be ok ( at this time ) but expecting to change it at the next MOT tho

Malc

As usual great replies and thanks once again my friends.

Age is a killer on bushes even with modest mileage, It seem's worth replacing anti-roll bar bushes anyway as a matter of improvement...OK so if that does not fix it then I still have a significant improvement I'm sure.

Yes to Rock Auto...I'm not going to replace everything though.

I am wondering about the UCA but I was told they were OK...then again maybe they are OK but not great...

:driving:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links