DaveEllen

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did the Chicken cross the road :unsure:

Why are most sausages long and not round :unsure:

Why are bake beans in Tins and not in vacum bags or something :unsure:

What is the future of the can opener now, with all these new rip top lips :unsure:

Why is McDonalds called McDonalds :unsure:

Why is McDonalds called McDonalds :unsure:

ooh i did know that one, know it was originally set up by 2 brothers though, and was born in the same town as kfc and burgerking! can give u the full answer tomo eves though.

mystery Q - how many types of meat is in a mcdonalds burger?

enjoying your mechanicly reclaimed chicken burger? :lol:

why is a television screen rectangular

(just ask my 6 year old - she's got LOADS of these kinda questions)

The answer is, orginally it never used to be 'perfectly' retangular, they used to have curved corners, giving a more 'oval'.

This is due to the fact of how a TV works. The screen you watch is just a piece of glass, the actual image comes from a tube at the back of the set, where the images are created (im not going into that though). These are fired at the screen to project the image, but due to the shape of a tube, the edges of the image were never perfect..

However, in modern times, we have perfected squarer tubes, and been able to provide a crisper image, that can give a flawless retangualer image..

why is a television screen rectangular

(just ask my 6 year old - she's got LOADS of these kinda questions)

The answer is, orginally it never used to be 'perfectly' retangular, they used to have curved corners, giving a more 'oval'.

This is due to the fact of how a TV works. The screen you watch is just a piece of glass, the actual image comes from a tube at the back of the set, where the images are created (im not going into that though). These are fired at the screen to project the image, but due to the shape of a tube, the edges of the image were never perfect..

However, in modern times, we have perfected squarer tubes, and been able to provide a crisper image, that can give a flawless retangualer image..

Yeah OK - I knew how a telly works - but why is it rectangular - and not, for instance, round?

If you were travelling on Concorde and the plane was doing 1 mph less than the speed of sound....could you run down the isle and create a sonic boom ?

Because it uses a tube... so the projected image will always have a greater width than height..

Not if you design it not to :blink: The image size and ratio is based on what signal is fed on the scan coils.

I think it is retangular because the human vision is that way and therefore appears more natural. The 16:9 ratio is more so than the old 4:3 which is why TVs have moved to it and why cinema and paintings have used that format for years.

If you were travelling on Concorde and the plane was doing 1 mph less than the speed of sound....could you run down the isle and create a sonic boom ?

no because YOUR speed relative to the object you are travelling in is still zero give or take the speed that you walk at (3mph)

Because it uses a tube... so the projected image will always have a greater width than height..

Not if you design it not to :blink: The image size and ratio is based on what signal is fed on the scan coils.

I think it is retangular because the human vision is that way and therefore appears more natural. The 16:9 ratio is more so than the old 4:3 which is why TVs have moved to it and why cinema and paintings have used that format for years.

nah mate - you and everyone else is just saying that a telly is square or squarish because of the way it works - my question is why is it that shape in the first place

And as for your eyes being square - errm gotta say most people's are round - in what way do you think human vision is rectangular???

nah mate - you and everyone else is just saying that a telly is square or squarish because of the way it works

No I'm not, you make make it circular if you want, just design the electronics to do it.

in what way do you think human vision is rectangular???

Your field of vision is greater in length than in height.

how can u have a round/circular tv? the images will be distorted- ie wraparound effect, light reflecting off it at wierd angles etc- a flat or flatish surface ifs far better.

yes mate - I wasn't suggesting spherical - just asking why the screen isn't round

how can u have a round/circular tv?  the images will be distorted- ie wraparound effect, light reflecting off it at wierd angles etc- a flat or flatish surface ifs far better.

yes mate - I wasn't suggesting spherical - just asking why the screen isn't round

because it would roll of the sideboard :P

how can u have a round/circular tv?  the images will be distorted- ie wraparound effect, light reflecting off it at wierd angles etc- a flat or flatish surface ifs far better.

because it would roll of the sideboard :P

yeah well like I tell my kids - "ask a stupid question......."

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links