Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Condensation Inside Headlight

Hi All

Please can someone help me or advise he on how to fix a headlight which has condensation inside it.

My passenger light is completely misted up however the bulb is working but side light stopped working. Its very annoying and I am hoping to fix the issue before more damage is caused.

I have read on other forums about baking and sealing the headlight, but my DIY skills are say 3 on a scale of 10.....so is there another method I can try!!

Any advise will be helpful or even if anyone knows anyone in or around London who can fix it for me.

Thank you

Hi Ishaq

One tip I can give is look for rubber seals and cracks.

You can use a hair dryer to make it dry but that doesn't solve the issue coming back again. carefuel with the dryer as not to get carried away. use your hand to control the temperature. Also turn the beams on full. How bad is it btw?

I wouldn't try baking and sealing headlight unless I am OK with buying a new one. It's one of those things that go wrong even with practise.

Its worth checking that the access doors are closed and fitted properly. They have a rubber gasket ring that seals them tight. Anyone been in there recently and not quite re-fitted the access door correctly?

Then check your headlight lens for any signs of damage.

You can use the hair dryer as jack suggested, or let a good sunny day do it for you. But you will need to open the access panels to allow the vapour to escape or it will settle inside again.

Thank you guys. Will be investigating inch by inch this weekend. Actually it's quite bad and doesn't go away.

I will attach a photo from a PC as the file is too big on my phone

post-47925-0-28611700-1441922698_thumb.j

That is bad ... I have never taken the lights on mine off but I think it would warrant it on this occasion as you will need to get into the light to give it a good drying out.

I don't think applying heat to the light in this occasion would sufficiently remove the water and leave the lens clear afterwards (it may leave water marks)

Are you able to do a step by step for the forum if you do take the light off ?

Someone suggested that I fold a towel a few times then place over the light and leave for 10 minutes with full beam. Going to give this a go and see what happens before I go any further.

Your right it is bad and looks bad in person as it kills the image of my car.

I am bad with DIY so may leave to professionals if I need to dismantle

I think there is some seal not placed properly or headlight is cracked. I would take it out.

If not properly done, it will rust the reflector. I think there will be a pool of water at the bottom.

anyone know if these lights are sealed all the way or is there a breather hole?

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update..

Had a look everywhere and all corners but no damage. Checked bulb covers and again all intact so maybe I am missing something.

Crappy weather is here now so believe it will get worse, maybe have no other option but to look for a second hand replacement but they not cheap.

On second thoughts eBay have a custom pair from Taiwan which is the newer DRL style light but dont know if they will be a plug and play stuff.

Thanks for all your help guys.

On my old car I just chucked some of those silica gel pouches in you get from buying clothes/shoes in my headlight and it cleared it up :D. Although it didn't have that much moisture compared to yours

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links