Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Smart Repair.

I just claimed on my Smart repair insurance.

The technician seemed to be struggling with a smallish scuff. The paint kept lifting so he said. He also said it was 3 stage paint as if that was new to him.

This morning the paint had bubbled up and fell off when I touched it exposing the bare surface. At least its on the bumper so will not rust.

I am not convinced with so called Smart repairs. I would of expected the scuff to be filled and flattened rather than trying to paint over it making it more noticeable.

Ed.

The technician seemed to be struggling with a smallish scuff. The paint kept lifting so he said. He also said it was 3 stage paint as if that was new to him.

This morning the paint had bubbled up and fell off when I touched it exposing the bare surface. At least its on the bumper so will not rust.

I am not convinced with so called Smart repairs. I would of expected the scuff to be filled and flattened rather than trying to paint over it making it more noticeable.

Ed.

Ed, if they approved it for repair, as they obviously did, it should be sorted. I've claimed 2 or 3 times over the last couple of years and the service/repair has been excellent. I'd complain and I'm sure they'll sort it out. The Lexus paint is known to be tricky, Justin Ballard is the man to ask for, he's superb.

I will of course be complaining to Shine Smart Repairs on Monday when they open. I suspect it was the skill of the technician rather than the actual process. I do not understand why no filler was used and from looking at what fell off no primer!

Who is Justin Ballard?

Ed :flowers:

I will of course be complaining to Shine Smart Repairs on Monday when they open. I suspect it was the skill of the technician rather than the actual process. I do not understand why no filler was used and from looking at what fell off no primer!

Who is Justin Ballard?

He was the chap they allocated to do my repair last time, he's also the chap they send when a job hasn't quite worked out. That's what he said anyway, and judging by the work he did on mine I'm not surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Ed.

below is a quotation from the lexus smart repair advert,i would photograph and email the smart repair company,

and if you get knowhere pass it on to lexus customer relations as its a product recommended by lexus with their

name endorsing the product so it doesn't look good for them.

What parts of my car are covered?

• Scratches and scuffs up to 300mm in diameter and 3 mm deep.
  • Dents up to 300mm in length and 3mm deep.
  • Stone chips up to 5mm in diameter and 1.5mm deep.
  • Covers vulnerable panels including front and rear valances.
  • Professionally repaired to immaculate standards.

£200 for 12 months cover when bought at the same time as the vehicle. One repair would be £100 to £150 so well worth it. Shame they seemed incapable of repairing one stone chip. It will no doubt be done properly when they have another go!

Ed :innocent:

£200 for 12 months cover when bought at the same time as the vehicle. One repair would be £100 to £150 so well worth it. Shame they seemed incapable of repairing one stone chip. It will no doubt be done properly when they have another go!

i got my whole rear end resprayed and dent removal after I backed into a low wall which parking sensors didn't pick up on my RX300 for £120?!

i got my whole rear end resprayed and dent removal after I backed

into a low wall which parking sensors didn't pick up on my RX300 for

£120?!

My IS is 3 stage pearlescent mesa red I doubt a decent bodyshop would prep & spray it for £120!! The smart repair would have been nice finish he just didnt prep it properly.

£120?!

My IS is 3 stage pearlescent mesa red I doubt a decent bodyshop would prep & spray it for £120!! The smart repair would have been nice finish he just didnt prep it properly.

Doesn't matter. Paint cost is pretty much the same anyway regardless

£120?!

That sounds more like mates rates?

Lol it does but I didn't know the guy. Been recommended and went to see what job was like. It was very good in the end. He told me anything over £200 for a bumper respray is expensive as paint cost is the same regardless of what type of paint it is. It depends on the labour and skill of the guy doing it in the end as to how much it costs.

Lol it does but I didn't know the guy. Been recommended and went to see

what job was like. It was very good in the end. He told me anything over

£200 for a bumper respray is expensive as paint cost is the same

regardless of what type of paint it is. It depends on the labour and

skill of the guy doing it in the end as to how much it costs.

Can I have his number? Please!! The front bumper would have to be removed and fittings taken off running lights ect, not masked up, flattened and sprayed, a bargain if that could be done for £120.

The rate stone chips are growing on mine it will need this soon. The Smart repair insurance is an insurance so peace of mind if a numpty opens a door into it ect

Ed.

Lol it does but I didn't know the guy. Been recommended and went to see

what job was like. It was very good in the end. He told me anything over

£200 for a bumper respray is expensive as paint cost is the same

regardless of what type of paint it is. It depends on the labour and

skill of the guy doing it in the end as to how much it costs.

Can I have his number? Please!! The front bumper would have to be removed and fittings taken off running lights ect, not masked up, flattened and sprayed, a bargain if that could be done for £120.

The rate stone chips are growing on mine it will need this soon. The Smart repair insurance is an insurance so peace of mind if a numpty opens a door into it ect

Ed.

Overdrive in Batley. Google it :) however I'd say it'll prob be very expensive by the time you bring the car up here and back again!

Tbf labour is cheap in Yorkshire cos we're tight. In all honesty, taking bumper off and fittings is expensive and that's what you'll be paying for, however, it's not really necessary as taping up is usually sufficient for front bumpers.

£120?!

Not sure I agree about the paint cost. When they did mine they showed me a pretty small paint pot which had one of the constituents which makes up the Sonic T colour. It has some tiny fragments of glass (I think), and a special name which was important at the time but isn't now so I've forgotten it :msn-oh:. He said it was really expensive compared to other paints. It could have kidology but he had no reason to over egg anything for my benefit.

£120?!

Not sure I agree about the paint cost. When they did mine they showed me a pretty small paint pot which had one of the constituents which makes up the Sonic T colour. It has some tiny fragments of glass (I think), and a special name which was important at the time but isn't now so I've forgotten it :msn-oh:. He said it was really expensive compared to other paints. It could have kidology but he had no reason to over egg anything for my benefit.

The fact it is 3 stage paint must make it cost more. The senior man is coming to redo the repair tomorrow. Finger crossed it will be a top job.

Like I said, its not the actual paint that costs more - hence why Lexus don't charge different rates for Metallic colour or Pearl colours. I think the most expensive paint job are the Sonic Red, Azure Blue and Sonic White colours.

Compared to Solid colours, yes, pearl's are slightly more expensive but not by much, its a common myth. The only reason the actual job is expensive compared to solid colours is because there is more labour involved.

I would not want my bumper sprayed if it was not removed and all lights removed rather than masking them up which usually causes a build up of paint along the edge. Maybe acceptable on a n old cheap car but not on my Lexus!!

I worked near a pro body shop for a while and they always removed all lights ect from bumper apertures .They basically removed anything that could be replicating how the car was sprayed at the factory.

They did a superb job but not cheap because they only did top end cars like Jags BMW & Lexus!!

That is the advantage of a Smart repair over a back street cheap spray & pray type of place. I will excuse them the first repair mistake if the repair tomorrow is as good as they have assured me it will be.

Lol it does but I didn't know the guy. Been recommended and went to see what job was like. It was very good in the end. He told me anything over £200 for a bumper respray is expensive as paint cost is the same regardless of what type of paint it is. It depends on the labour and skill of the guy doing it in the end as to how much it costs.

Did you ask him if he would paint in a 'House of Kolor' paint for less than £200 ?

Did you ask him if he would paint in a 'House of Kolor' paint for less than £200 ?

The guy resprays very high end cars. No taxis in this place. Build up of paint on edges is down to poor technique, not masking.

Besides, I'm wondering how this is a SMART repair. The area is way too big if you're doing a whole bumper

I am only having one chip/scuff done at present.

The IS front bumper would have to be removed for a complete respray. No way masking the parking sensors or the washers or the drl`s would look acceptable. Depends on the level of perfection you want. I am a fussy so & so.

I will see how the Smart repair turns out tomorrow.

Smart repair completed today and it is a superb. Faultless. A very high quality invisible repair. Even if I only make one claim the Smart insurance has been worth having.

Excellent news! Was it Justin?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links