Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi all.

Last week I purchased a low mileage 2006 IS220d.

Today I made a long journey on the motorway.

At 70mph with the cruise control on I was only averaging 37 - 39mpg

Is this normal? I would have thought it would be higher than that?

If this isn't right, does anyone have a suggestion as to why it is so low?

It's normal I get almost same 40-41mph try cleaning egr use v power diesel I always use v power it give more power and keeps dpf/egr clean what milage is urs??? Mine done 91600 it's 2006 trying to sell it due to lack of use will buy is250

Michael

Varying mpg on the diesel lex is fairly common unfortunately.

When i had mine I used to get 39mpg around town and 49+ on a decent run. I was lucky...maybe i had a good one.

Friend in my village had the sport Diesel and only got 36mpg at best.

Not everyone rates it ...opinions are divided... but I used BG additives. One in the fuel at fill up and 1 every 6-8000mls as a top end cleaner.

Learn how to clean your EGR...plenty of vids on Youtube...you'll be glad if you do. This is particularly important if you do shorter journeys. The EGR can get get badly coked up.

If you want to read about the additives go here

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/

I used the BG244....whole can in full tank every 6-8000 miles, and

AR6200...fuel additive....at 5ml per 50 litres of fuel at top ups.

All I can say is for me it seemed to work well. The EGR was not so filthy at each check...just a light dusting inside.

perhaps have a read through this

http://www.oilem.com/fuel-catalysts-archoil-ar6200-2/

Best of luck with it all.

There is lots on this forum about the 220d .... so have a good read of as much as you can.

Forewarned is forearmed.

It does seem a little low.

I am averaging between 45-50mpg on the motorway. I do tend to do 60-65mph though, which seems more fuel efficient.

There is some sound advice mentioned above. I use BG244 on mine, only fill up on Shell V Power and have changed all my filters. I also took out and cleaned my EGR a while back.

Economy is not marginal between the two. I agree the IS250 is the better car, but I do a mix of town and motorway which would see me average about mid and late 20's mpg. My last tank averaged 38mpg, but I did more town mileage then usual.

10 extra mpg over a 14 gallon tank equates to an extra 140 miles. Not exactly an insignificant amount.

Also, while the tax saving is marginal, it is a saving nonetheless. £85 over the IS250 Auto isn't huge, but the £285 over the manual IS250 is worthy of consideration.

tbh, I would rather spend £900 a year on tax than drive a 220d. If people worry so much on saving this that and the other thing, do they also skimp on tyres, maintenance...etc etc. Motoring is a pretty expensive business but I know I am sat in a very reliable and comfortable car at the end of the day and thats good enough for me.

Well, you did ask :) How much you are prepared to pay for your car is your business, but for me, a £900 saving would be significant.

However, the issue here is that I think you hold an exaggerated view of how bad the 220d is. Whilst I agree the 250 is the better car, the diesel isn't that terrible. Once you get used to the 'quirks', it isn't all that bad to drive. In fact, on the motorway, I would say it is rather good; if I need to speed up, a quick squeeze of my right foot gets an immediate and strong response.

Also, apart from the engine, which is not the worst I have ever tried, the manual box isn't as horrible as people make out. I am sure many 250 manual owners, such as yourself, are happily driving around changing their own gears.

Finally, no, I don't skimp on maintenance or tyres just cause I own a 220d.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links