Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Purchase advice please! A few questions..

Hello everybody I'm Rich from the South Warrington area of Cheshire. I have this weekend managed to sell my 2010 2.5 Z4 and am in the market for an ISF. I have wanted a V8 for many years but the running costs would have been prohibitive. Luckily, I now only do around 2-400 miles per month, and thus (stupidly expensive tax aside!) can finally afford a more exotic steed.Having recently moves house I also now have a garage for my new pride and joy to reside in! Apologies for what is probably going to be a lengthy post of me asking school boy question. NEedless to say I'm very excited!

I had been considering a C63 and M3 saloon but have been drawn to the ISF for it's rarity and the fantastic proposition it provides. What I have learnt, which is also a massive plus over the BMW and the Merc is:

By buying approved I can spend another £750 and have 3 years warranty. I'm guessing this is fairly conclusive?

I can get a 2/3 year service plan at a bit of a discount and have had quotes on this from the dealer at hand.

In reality it would be my plan to build the above 2 factors into "the deal" and I'm guessing the dealer would be up for this?

I have a budget of £25k(ish)

I am currently speaking to dealers about 2 cars (the top one in particular) and would welcome your thoughts and help:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512129408432?radius=1500&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&model=is_f&postcode=wa139hp&make=lexus&page=1&sort=pricedesc&search-target=usedcars&logcode=p

1 owner, Service & MOT due June, 18k miles. Bit older but looks a minter from what they've sent me over. Serviced every year despite minimal mileage

The other one is below:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512179518653?radius=1500&model=is_f&postcode=WA13%209HP&make=lexus&page=1&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&search-target=usedcars&sort=pricedesc&logcode=p

1 owner, full Lexus Service History (although it's due)

What will the 11 plate model give me that the 09 won't?

Most importantly, What do you think of the respective prices?

Is it worth me hanging on and waiting for a "facelift" with the newer lights etc? I understand the suspension is also more compliant on these models, but I'd have to test the older car first to see if I personally have any issue with it.

If I did decide to wait, what sort of money does your typical 12/62 plate command?

What year did DAB come in?

What tyres comes as standard?

Is there a space saver?

My heart and head tell me the 2009 car would be a good buy at the right price?!?!

The 11 plate has the LSD as shown by the blue on the steering wheel.  Tyres should either be bridgestone or Michelin Pilot sport but at the end of the day it doesnt really matter as long as the tyres are up to the job i.e not budget tyres.

The woodford one seems fair. You can be sure it wont have those nasty wheel gashes like the black one too but make sure the wheels are all the same colour

Persobnally id go witht he black one, its has a beautiful  interior combination to contibute to the black exterior colour.

It also has LSD and the drive will be softer

The SAT NAV has a upgrade and also has Bluetooth steaming i believe.

Other then that i can think of anything else. The blue bottom also on the steering.

Some late 11 plates have the DRLs which is a very nice touch, so if you are willing to pay 25k ish, hold out for something with 30-40k miles but with all the upgrades

I have just sold mine and all i can say i was in the exact the same situation as you.. C63... M3... RS4.. or a ISF..  i have driven them all and i did not think twice after buying the ISF.. raises eyebrows everytime you drive it and drives like a smooth sliky executive car.. then you have 3500 rpm point .. once you hit that, OMG the car is so un lexus like..the game just changes. You will love evry min of it. And in terms of petrol, i hade a e46 M3 (3.3)and the ISF gave me 17mpg compared to the 16 the M3 gave me.

I've viewed the black one and if you're a perfectionist about your cars then I doubt you'd be happy with the condition.

Black paint obviously shows more marks than other colours but this one has quite a few chips and scratches around the bodywork, the leading edge of the drivers side rear door was especially badly chipped. It looked like the driver had been catching it with something when getting in and out of the car. To be fair to the dealer they did say they would sort them but it wasn't for me. The drivers seat bolster was quite worn too.

Black one for me as well although the interior would put me and other future buyers off with it being harder to keep immaculate compared to black. The nav upgrade I believe includes full post code search which is a surprisingly big deal. At least it was to me. Also, lack of Bluetooth streaming on earlier models frustrated me.  As stated above, make sure all 4 wheels are the same colour if they are repaired. 

1 hour ago, johnnyb said:

I've viewed the black one and if you're a perfectionist about your cars then I doubt you'd be happy with the condition.

Black paint obviously shows more marks than other colours but this one has quite a few chips and scratches around the bodywork, the leading edge of the drivers side rear door was especially badly chipped. It looked like the driver had been catching it with something when getting in and out of the car. To be fair to the dealer they did say they would sort them but it wasn't for me. The drivers seat bolster was quite worn too.

If the dealer can sort them out then it maybe worth getting the black one. The paint isnt exactly hard to match as its a solid colour and I would assume the edge of the door has been hitting a garage wall or something.

Make sure you drive the one in Woodford before making a decision, Ive only ever driven the softer ones so no idea on what the older ones are like but Id assume they're pretty hard. I find my RX just about bearable in ride and the 11 IS-F was much firmer so I can only imagine what the older one was like.

Interesting that most seem to be favouring the later car.

What's the consensus price wise? Both about right with a bit of haggling?

seems that most prefer a new car with a few more hits than the older low mileage minter (and based on the photos and videos they have sent me over it does look mint)

The black one is about an hour and 20 mins from me, so not too bad, will go and have a look next weekend perhaps. Re the paint condition, will be getting detailed anyway so unless it's really bad...

but I am very fussy and won't be going near a shabby one!

Another vote for the black one. Black with a cream interior is a lovely combo. 1 hour and 20 mins is pretty close, I did nearly 4 hours each way recently to view and leave a deposit on an ISF (stupid 50 zones).

On a side note I believe the warranty is now £850 for two years, that's what I was quoted recently. You don't need to buy an approved used car in order to be able to buy the warranty.

Good luck with your search. I had C63 and the M3 on my shortlist too but the ISF is a more reliable and rarer option. Residuals seem better as a result too. 

going to head over for a look at the black one at the weekend, however, not convinced either car is spot on.

Given I can just buy the warranty if I buy a full service history car (and I wouldn't buy one that didn't) then I think it may be a better idea to hold own for a private sale to get a better deal...? Trying to be sensible and not let the cash in my pocket from the car sale burn a hole!

ideally a nice low mileage members car-anyone thinking of selling up?!?!

A members car could be the better option. It's always nice to find a car that has been owned by a fellow enthusiast. There might be more cars appearing on the market with owners moving to the RCF or even the GSF. 

If you haven't viewed or test driven an ISF yet then it makes sense to go see the black one and get a feel of the car. I did the same, went to view a local one which wasn't quite right and then viewed a fellow members car which was spot on and clearly well cared for. 

Good luck with your search. 

Thank you, I think I may just go and see the expensive one in Chester since it's a bit nearer, will arrange a weekend test drive and go from there.

very busy for the next few weeks anyhow, in an ideal world I could wait to the second week in April (I have a big exam) and then get it after that!

11 minutes ago, Warrington guy said:

Hi rich more than welcome to show you my 2013 isf . I'm only in Warrington , so you can't be to far away . 

That would be very much appreciated, I'm in Lymm so very near to you! Are you around this weekend at all?

If you fancy a red one that's been properly cared for; my old IS-F is in Lexus Manchester for £25,000. I bought it when it was 8 months old from Lexus Warrington when it 2800 miles on the clock. Red is, of course, the best colour.

http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/used-IS-F/IS-F/5.0/Manchester/2070391-605286534-1609630.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

It should still have a Warranty until Mar 2017 too

• Like 1

Awesome will head down at the weekend, much more convenient for me although with David kindly offering to show me his white one too I think I should get round 3/4 colours this weekend! Manchester will be ideal for a test drive too

Personally I wouldn't have black, my is250 was,.....never again, even walked away from Woodford when the blue one had sold, they had a black one, I just said never again, I always wanted the red, if u have a preferred colour, wait for it to come along, after all it's what you see more of, I'd also steer clear of light interiors, denim etc stain it, and if u have kids, ur be pulling ur hair out. Good luck with ur choices, after all there ur ones 👍

19 minutes ago, MNMJ said:
3 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

Personally I wouldn't have black, my is250 was,.....never again, even walked away from Woodford when the blue one had sold, they had a black one, I just said never again, I always wanted the red, if u have a preferred colour, wait for it to come along, after all it's what you see more of, I'd also steer clear of light interiors, denim etc stain it, and if u have kids, ur be pulling ur hair out. Good luck with ur choices, after all there ur ones 👍

Quite lucky on that front, no kids (or near future plans for) more of a weekend car that will be garaged and pampered and probably have more hours spent detailing it than driving it! Don't think I e ever seen a red one in the flesh. 

How long have they had it now? Wonder if there's a any discount to be had

I wanted a black one and I've ended up in one (well I will do once I collect it in a few days). 

Having owned a few black cars before I know they can be an absolute pain to keep clean but they look so damn good when clean. Not bothered with detailing for a few years now so it's a perfect excuse to get back into it. 

11 minutes ago, GibletPH said:

I wanted a black one and I've ended up in one (well I will do once I collect it in a few days). 

Having owned a few black cars before I know they can be an absolute pain to keep clean but they look so damn good when clean. Not bothered with detailing for a few years now so it's a perfect excuse to get back into it. 

Where did you buy from pal?

clean black is hard to beat!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links