Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking to purchase a 2000/01 with premium pack. Had a mkii a number of years ago. I'm sure the 430 is a massive improvement on that? What to check for/ask about. Looking at the distance from me in Kent, the main ones seem to be in Birmingham. I might have to make a deal over the phone. 

Here are some of things u should check:

Make sure it has a full or at least a good service history which includes the cambelt change.

On driving the ride should be quite smooth comfortable with no noises or creaks from the suspension.

Gearbox changes should not be noticeable

Upon inserting key the steering should tilt and retract - test and make sure the mechanism works as motors are very expensive

Braking should be quite and smooth - if you get a groaning noise when coming to stop that’s a sign of cheap aftermarket brake pads - they will need replacing.

Check colour of gearbox oil it should be red with no smell of burning.

Check all electrics work

Check the Sat Nav works - there have been reports of some failures

Check the sound system properly to ensure no blown door speakers or woofer

Check the air suspension works  - when the switch is flicked the car should rise about at inch slowly - and the compressor does not make any noises

Check the bonnet struts hold the bonnet

Check the car has the correct Toyota red coolant

Check for rust around the doors near the plastic trim and around the boot area

Check rear quarter panel glass for cloudiness - this indicates the glazing has failed

Ask if the cabin filter has ever been changed - these are often over looked.

Check the bonnet pull works as it should - some of them fail

Check toolkit is present

Make sure there are no warning lights lit in the dash

Ideally you want 3 remote keys

Check the car has a matching set of tyres and wether they are branded or not - this should give an indication wether the car has been pampered or neglected

Before driving off make sure you have the say nav code and locking wheel nut key.

Hope this helps.
  • Like 3

I've seen a couple on eBay in Birmingham. That is a lot of things to check! The cam belt service, is that the very 90'000 miles? The same as the mk4? It will be nice to get one after 7 years without an LS. Was running at Rover 75 CDTI Auto for that time, but has just failed massively on the Mot and not worth repairing. The satnav is it usable? Does it have postcode destination? Regarding mpg, I rarely got low 20's on my mk2. I've read the vvti is more frugal. Possible mid 30's on a run?

hi

These cars have alot of gadgets and some weak points aswell so aslong as you take your time and check everything you should be fine - infact the more you ask over the phone the better.

the cambelt should be changed every 100k miles or 10 years - whichever is earlier

No it doesnt have postcode destination.

i do mostly local runs and get 20 - the VVti is better but marginal - im not sure whether you will notice an actual difference in real life - if your budget allow try to go for a facelift one.

its funny how i have LS owners like the same cars - Rover 75 - Mazda Mx5 and Toyota camry to name a few.

35 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

hi

These cars have alot of gadgets and some weak points aswell so aslong as you take your time and check everything you should be fine - infact the more you ask over the phone the better.

the cambelt should be changed every 100k miles or 10 years - whichever is earlier

i do mostly local runs and get 20 - the VVti is better but marginal - im not sure whether you will notice an actual difference in real life - if your budget allow try to go for a facelift one.

its funny how i have LS owners like the same cars - Rover 75 - Mazda Mx5 and Toyota camry to name a few.

Do you know what the last dvd was for the satnav? Is it usable, say to get from Brighton to Birmingham for example. The Rover was a nice car, no Lexus but great fuel economy 52mpg on a run with auto. But the CDTI wasn't built for the car and it was a nightmare to have any work done, due to the lack of space. 

hi

i think its was 2002 however i might be wrong.

the 430 sat nav is more than adequate to take you from town to town -  I have used mine in birmingham, bradford and yorkshire and it took me to my destination without a hitch.

6 hours ago, cruisermark said:

hi

Apart from the 6 speed box, what advantages does the facelift have? 

I also went from a diesel Rover 75 to a GS430 and now an LS430.

I think the newest sat nav disc you can get is 2012 from these people:

http://www.satnavdiscsale.com/lexus-2012-sat-nav-update-disc-for-all-generation-1-navigation-122-p.asp

I think it is a very usable system, the only bind is lack of postcode input.

The facelift models offer the 6 speed box with tiptronic control, slightly revised front styling, fold down vanity mirrors for rear passengers, reversing camera, I've heard they improved the heated and cooled seats for the facelift but I don't know for certain, the pointers in the instrument panel changed from red to white and all text displays became matching amber, the gearstick surround is wood on facelift models, it is brushed aluminium on pre facelift (I prefer the aluminium). They also added voice activation. (I wouldn't use that because I'd feel stupid talking to my car but others probably like it!!!). That's all I can think of for the facelift.

My LS430 wasn't quite perfect, almost but not quite. I have a blown subwoofer which I'm going to attempt repairing with some silicone sealant after reading many success stories online which doesn't even include removing the speaker as you need to take back seats out to do that. My power fold mirrors only close about 1\3 of the way but some WD40 might cure that. The up down adjustment on my drivers door mirror doesn't work so I moved it in place by hand (left and right adjustment is fine). If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know!!!

I think when you are looking at cars this old with possibly quite high mileages you can't really expect absolute perfection, there maybe a few niggles here and there. One thing I will say is that mine has done 200k with a full 20 stamp Lexus service history with 2 cambelt changes and really does drive like a dream!!! It is by far the best car I've ever had and I've had plenty!!! I don't think I could go back to a lesser car now, although there are certain things that can go wrong and things to check for I believe these really are amongst the finest and best engineered cars on the road bar none.

My fuel economy averages 23-24mpg on my 10 mile trip to work and 10 miles back. Last time I went on the motorway I was getting about 32-33mpg. Not bad for a 2 ton V8 luxury barge. It's bloody quick when you want it to be too, easily capable of smoking most other cars on the road or you can just sit back and relax and enjoy the near silent ride this car offers. As I said, the best car I've had. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrdoofa said:

I also went from a diesel Rover 75 to a GS430 and now an LS430.

I think the newest sat nav disc you can get is 2012 from these people:

http://www.satnavdiscsale.com/lexus-2012-sat-nav-update-disc-for-all-generation-1-navigation-122-p.asp

I think it is a very usable system, the only bind is lack of postcode input.

The facelift models offer the 6 speed box with tiptronic control, slightly revised front styling, fold down vanity mirrors for rear passengers, reversing camera, I've heard they improved the heated and cooled seats for the facelift but I don't know for certain, the pointers in the instrument panel changed from red to white and all text displays became matching amber, the gearstick surround is wood on facelift models, it is brushed aluminium on pre facelift (I prefer the aluminium). They also added voice activation. (I wouldn't use that because I'd feel stupid talking to my car but others probably like it!!!). That's all I can think of for the facelift.

My LS430 wasn't quite perfect, almost but not quite. I have a blown subwoofer which I'm going to attempt repairing with some silicone sealant after reading many success stories online which doesn't even include removing the speaker as you need to take back seats out to do that. My power fold mirrors only close about 1\3 of the way but some WD40 might cure that. The up down adjustment on my drivers door mirror doesn't work so I moved it in place by hand (left and right adjustment is fine). If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know!!!

I think when you are looking at cars this old with possibly quite high mileages you can't really expect absolute perfection, there maybe a few niggles here and there. One thing I will say is that mine has done 200k with a full 20 stamp Lexus service history with 2 cambelt changes and really does drive like a dream!!! It is by far the best car I've ever had and I've had plenty!!! I don't think I could go back to a lesser car now, although there are certain things that can go wrong and things to check for I believe these really are amongst the finest and best engineered cars on the road bar none.

My fuel economy averages 23-24mpg on my 10 mile trip to work and 10 miles back. Last time I went on the motorway I was getting about 32-33mpg. Not bad for a 2 ton V8 luxury barge. It's bloody quick when you want it to be too, easily capable of smoking most other cars on the road or you can just sit back and relax and enjoy the near silent ride this car offers. As I said, the best car I've had. 

Thanks for the info, can't wait to test one. it will be so nice to get back to the refinement of a v8 and Lexus quality. Diesel is fine, but there is nothing like that lovely refinement. I do enjoy the rarity of these cars too. I've own 5 Jaguar XJ6's in the past and though they feel more sporty, they are just not as reliable as a Lexus. Especially after the unreliability of my Rover 75. 

• Like 1

I also think the facelift model has Bluetooth and on some cars you may find adaptive radar cruise control. I also believe they added cornering headlights. The 6 speed box increased the torque so the 0-60 time went from 6.7secs to 6.3secs. Fuel economy was also slightly improved.

Pre facelift cars are obviously going to be cheaper than facelifted ones. I don't think either disappoints though, to me condition and service history will always win out. In other words if there was a good facelift car and a REALLY good pre facelift, I'd take the pre facelift. 

Also, when checking the bonnet struts, check the boot ones too. I had to replace mine but they only cost £25 on eBay and an easy 5 minute DIY job to fit. As others have said go over the car carefully and don't rush, check all the gadgets and electrics (there's lots on these cars!!!). I too had many problems with my Rover 75 which is a shame because they are nice cars. You really can't beat the quality, fit and finish and refinement of the Lexus LS though in my opinion. I also love the attention to detail these cars have such as lights under the mirrors that automatically illuminate the pavement as you approach the car, illuminated interior door handles, even the storage box under the armrest is illuminated. There is a tiny 3rd sun visor above the interior mirror, they have soft closing doors and much more. One thing I would suggest is look at a couple because even ones that are a bit rough can still easily seduce you, they are that good. The engines and gearboxes on these things are pretty much bombproof and will run forever with regular servicing. These cars are over engineered but there are some weaknesses as pointed out in posts above, I don't think the problems with these cars is that anything is unreliable as such it's just if things like the air suspension, steering column motors etc do go wrong they are very expensive to fix. I've decided to enjoy my car as it is and not worry about something that may never go wrong, I'll cross that bridge if and when I may come to it. Good luck with the search, just don't rush and remember to check everything.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mrdoofa said:

I also think the facelift model has Bluetooth and on some cars you may find adaptive radar cruise control. I also believe they added cornering headlights. The 6 speed box increased the torque so the 0-60 time went from 6.7secs to 6.3secs. Fuel economy was also slightly improved.

Pre facelift cars are obviously going to be cheaper than facelifted ones. I don't think either disappoints though, to me condition and service history will always win out. In other words if there was a good facelift car and a REALLY good pre facelift, I'd take the pre facelift. 

Also, when checking the bonnet struts, check the boot ones too. I had to replace mine but they only cost £25 on eBay and an easy 5 minute DIY job to fit. As others have said go over the car carefully and don't rush, check all the gadgets and electrics (there's lots on these cars!!!). I too had many problems with my Rover 75 which is a shame because they are nice cars. You really can't beat the quality, fit and finish and refinement of the Lexus LS though in my opinion. I also love the attention to detail these cars have such as lights under the mirrors that automatically illuminate the pavement as you approach the car, illuminated interior door handles, even the storage box under the armrest is illuminated. There is a tiny 3rd sun visor above the interior mirror, they have soft closing doors and much more. One thing I would suggest is look at a couple because even ones that are a bit rough can still easily seduce you, they are that good. The engines and gearboxes on these things are pretty much bombproof and will run forever with regular servicing. These cars are over engineered but there are some weaknesses as pointed out in posts above, I don't think the problems with these cars is that anything is unreliable as such it's just if things like the air suspension, steering column motors etc do go wrong they are very expensive to fix. I've decided to enjoy my car as it is and not worry about something that may never go wrong, I'll cross that bridge if and when I may come to it. Good luck with the search, just don't rush and remember to check everything.

Thanks for that informative guide. I will just enjoy it regardless. After my 6 years of Rover ownership, I cannot wait to return to the Lexus fold of power, equipment and reliability. 

The power of that V8 with the gearbox kick down sure is addictive!!! You also get a nice distant V8 roar which I love.

I do still like the Rover 75 and many other rovers but just had too many issues, Fuel pumps, failed cooling fan, leaky boot, IPK display problems, bits of trim falling off, rear subframe starting to rot and various other minor niggles.

The only jag I've had is an X-type diesel before the Rover 75. Nice enough car but the mondeo jokes soon got old and it wasn't the roomiest of cars.

One more thing, when checking a car it's always worth doing an online MOT history check to see what failures and advisories it has had in the past. All you need is the reg and make of car.

11 hours ago, mrdoofa said:

The power of that V8 with the gearbox kick down sure is addictive!!! You also get a nice distant V8 roar which I love.

I do still like the Rover 75 and many other rovers but just had too many issues, Fuel pumps, failed cooling fan, leaky boot, IPK display problems, bits of trim falling off, rear subframe starting to rot and various other minor niggles.

The only jag I've had is an X-type diesel before the Rover 75. Nice enough car but the mondeo jokes soon got old and it wasn't the roomiest of cars.

One more thing, when checking a car it's always worth doing an online MOT history check to see what failures and advisories it has had in the past. All you need is the reg and make of car.

I only found out about that service after my car failed its MOT. It is a great service for perspective buyers. The only issue I've found with it, is if the car has been on a private plate, there doesn't seem to be any information. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links