Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is "17.5" What Is Meant By "17" inch wheels?

I measured my wheels and they measure '17 & a half inches' across the rims, is that what is meant when folks say "17" inch wheels, I got no clear answer in my other post & I need a spare wheel, so anyone know? thanks

My previous post

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-LS400-AUTO-5-DOOR-SALOON-1989-1994-ALLOY-WHEEL-SINGLE-/141869530838?hash=item2108153ed6

10 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Look on your tyres..The last number will probably be 17 !

Oh, well I looked and the last number is 16, before that is the letter R so I suppose that means 'rim' - the full tyre size is 225/66 R16

Thanks, its starting to make more sense now but the few with a spare wheel for sale as confused as I was.

Oh, well I looked and the last number is 16, before that is the letter R so I suppose that means 'rim' - the full tyre size is 225/66 R16

Thanks, its starting to make more sense now but the few with a spare wheel for sale as confused as I was. I take it that means I need a 16 inch wheel is that correct? thanks

14 minutes ago, dendonc said:

Thanks, its starting to make more sense now but the few with a spare wheel for sale as confused as I was. I take it that means I need a 16 inch wheel is that correct? thanks

Yes, you need a 16 inch wheel, fitted with the same size tyre as your existing wheel.

Bear in mind that the LS400 started on 15 inch rims, moved to 16 later(not sure exactly when), and also offered a DHP version, which came on 17 inch wheels.

That said, if you just want a spare for emergency use, to be used in the same way you might use a spacesaver type wheel+tyre, then you could use a 17 inch rim, with a lower profile tyre, that would effectively be the same size, and far safer imo than one of those godawful spacesaver things.

Thanks mikeyv, not surprised theres so much confusion around about their size, Im able to get wheels but the ones offered so far they have the same confusion as me & no one was sure.

So just to complete my understanding, if I get a wheel which fits the same tyre as mine then thats correct yes? as i said its a spare i need so if its not the right one it could be changed once i got to my tyre place anyway.

14 minutes ago, dendonc said:

Thanks mikeyv, not surprised theres so much confusion around about their size, Im able to get wheels but the ones offered so far they have the same confusion as me & no one was sure.

So just to complete my understanding, if I get a wheel which fits the same tyre as mine then thats correct yes? as i said its a spare i need so if its not the right one it could be changed once i got to my tyre place anyway.

There are always plenty on eBay Denis, just get a 16 inch LS wheel, and you'll be fine.

If you had a later car, then the larger brake calipers can be a problem for earlier wheels, apparently, but vice versa is fine.

The reason why you cannot just measure the diameter of your wheel front is because the sizing refers to the inner diameter where the tyre fits on. There is a lip/flange on the inside and outside edge of the wheel which stops the tyre coming off.

8852NG02.gif

Just because a wheel will fit your tyre size it doesn't mean the wheel will fit on your vehicle. There are other measurements to take into consideration. As Mikeyv has recommended, just get an old LS wheel so you don't have to worry about offset, hub size, PCD, nut-centric or hub-centric

• Like 1

Having said there are always plenty, I just looked and there are only two listed singly, which is unusual.

One is the wheel you linked to, the other is listed as 17", but the picture looks like a 16 inch LS wheel to me, so no wonder you're confused!

Take a look at the link below it explains all of the markings on the tyre, I think you will find your tyre size is 225/60 not 225/66 and the R indicates it is a radial type tyre as opposed to a crossply.

So 225 is the tyre tread width in mm

60 is the aspect ratio of the tyre in other words the sidewall height of the tyre is 60% of the treadwidth ( 135.0 mm in your case).

R indicates it is a radial biased tyre ( how the tyre is constructed)

16 is the tyre diameter in inches. ( the inner hole )

If there has ever been a case of mix and match with imperial and metric measurements tyres have to be the ultimate one!!

There is more information on tyres like speed rating and load ratings and even manufaturing dates but don't be too concerned about this.

http://www.blackcircles.com/general/sidewall

Wow it really is as complicated as though, but, with me knowing nawt technical a simple things is a huge wall....so i will go for one from a '95 or below, that simplifies things a lot

19 minutes ago, dendonc said:

Wow it really is as complicated as though, but, with me knowing nawt technical a simple things is a huge wall....so i will go for one from a '95 or below, that simplifies things a lot

As long as you don't get a really early 15 incher, then yes, that'll do it for you.

..........  the problem is also that while the 15" and 16" wheels look identical they aren't, the number of spokes is I think one less on the 15" wheels

I discovered this when someone on here asked for a spare and I had found a guy with two brand new ones but with very old tyres upon them and having seen them to compare with mine ( 1995 ) they had once spoke difference !

Malc

theres also this, he is advertising it as 94 but i recognise it as a facelift which was much later, its spokes are nothing like mine, bottom link

Advert for '94' I dont think its a 94, much later

http://www.partshark.co.uk/used-car-parts-breaking-vehicles/lexus/ls/

My wheels

****, I'm confused now!

If that is your wheel on the youtube clip, it's the same as mine, a standard MKIV wheel therefore.

The ad for a 91 car has a picture of a MKIV also, it's even got satnav, and of course, the same wheels as you and I.

From what I under stand Denis you have a 1995 model year LS400 but it is fitted with the later type 5 spoke wheels shown in your video, if that is correct then the link you posted and is reposted below has the correct wheel to match those already on your car.

http://www.dewsburyautosalvage.com/cars-for-breaking/lexus/lexus-ls400-4200-1991-black-manual-petrol-4-door.html

What has happened to your wheel arch, never seem one so rusty?

Im lost again, my ls was registered in Aug 1995, its a 3969cc, the later models were a higher cc than that, the reg is N34PYO, thats a 95 reg is'nt it, must be, now were all confused:yahoo:

It comes up at DVLA as a '95

Well what year was the MK4? I dont know those sort of things, i have had it apx 4 years or so but had a 1996 or 7 before then

Below is pasted from DVLA site

Vehicle details

Vehicle make LEXUS

Date of first registration 30 August 1995

Year of manufacture 1995

Cylinder capacity (cc) 3969cc

CO₂Emissions Not available

Fuel type PETROL

Vehicle status Tax not due

Vehicle colour BLACK

Vehicle type approval Not available

Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links