Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Great start to the day, she passed with flying colours, one advisory,

Advisory notice item(s) front number plate temporarily displayed.

Not her fault but mine because she came off in the hand wash with the jet wash.

Looking forward to another happy year once the timing belt has been sorted in the next couple of weeks. Mike.

A weight of your mind, I daresay?

Stopped by the Gendarmes in France once because the inner black part of the "0" was missing from the number plate. Would have been a €60 euro on the spot fine if they hadn't realised it was a Hire Car and waved me away.  Have since put an insulation tape "0" on another hire car where it was missing to avoid the hassle.

Tell me Mike what LPG system/brand did profess gas put in your car?

I believe its a Stag system, fabulous, never gone wrong. I should say that no matter which system is fitted if they ***** it up then you have troubles. It doesn't matter which system they fit, could be the most expensive system in the world if the install is iffy then you have just thrown your money down the drain. Profess did an amazingly neat and tidy install in a day which cost £1200 that was 5 years ago. Mike.

14 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I know how you must be feeling Mike! A great relief and no REAL advisories. Out of interest do you garage your Lexus?

I wasn't nervous, my garage services it once a year and I had barely done 3K from the last time they serviced it. No I don't garage her. Timing belt and water pump in the next two weeks and then she will be all tickety boo. I will then have her detailed as I am really impressed with the work that Devine Detail does. Mike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine passed today, valid till 5th March 2017, lovely feeling.

I wasn't too surprised at the pass, as I've not long serviced the car, which is driving beautifully, and I'd given it a quick check over for bulbs, wipers etc this morning.

However, the corrosion that was mentioned as an advisory last year, has, it would seem, mysteriously cured itself, as the ticket is free of any advisories.

In truth, it was never a problem, just a slight surface discolouration, which I was going to waxoyl, but never got round to.

I'm not entirely sure that the advisory scheme is working as it should, to be honest.

• Like 1

On 05/02/2016 at 7:45 PM, Bluesman said:

I wasn't nervous, my garage services it once a year and I had barely done 3K from the last time they serviced it. No I don't garage her. Timing belt and water pump in the next two weeks and then she will be all tickety boo. I will then have her detailed as I am really impressed with the work that Devine Detail does. Mike.

Will you replace the Radiator at this time?  I wondering  if a 21 year old Radiator (or 18 in your case) will last much longer or possibly develop the fault we all fear?  It may have been an excellent product, and there is no sign of rust or anything in the expansion tank, but having experienced an Auto  pipe drop off a Behm at 18 years I'm now torn between replacing a possible gem of a product with a Denso or a Nissen and not necessarily get a better (albeit newer) product. I'd be happy with five years guaranteed from a new one. If only! 

1 hour ago, mikeyv said:

I wasn't too surprised at the pass, as I've not long serviced the car, which is driving beautifully, and I'd given it a quick check over for bulbs, wipers etc this morning.

However, the corrosion that was mentioned as an advisory last year, has, it would seem, mysteriously cured itself, as the ticket is free of any advisories.

In truth, it was never a problem, just a slight surface discolouration, which I was going to waxoyl, but never got round to.

I'm not entirely sure that the advisory scheme is working as it should, to be honest.

Excellent news Michael! Going to rust treat mine when the weather improves, I am a wimp when it comes to cold these days.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Excellent news Michael! Going to rust treat mine when the weather improves, I am a wimp when it comes to cold these days.

Me too, knackered arteries don't like the cold!

We've been watching the spanish property programs with interest, even though this winter hasn't been too bad so far.

Only a poorly dog has stopped us driving down in the campervan to take a closer look.

I've only ever heard of LS430's having the potential 'coolant in the gearbox' problem and needing a replacement radiator as a precaution. I've never come across anyone owning a 400 doing that and remember, all 430's are younger too, which points to a manufacturing process decision.

6 hours ago, mikeyv said:

I go along with you on the advisory side of the MOT. Funny how your rust healed itself. Congratulations on  a new ticket. Mike.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Will you replace the Radiator at this time?  I wondering  if a 21 year old Radiator (or 18 in your case) will last much longer or possibly develop the fault we all fear?  It may have been an excellent product, and there is no sign of rust or anything in the expansion tank, but having experienced an Auto  pipe drop off a Behm at 18 years I'm now torn between replacing a possible gem of a product with a Denso or a Nissen and not necessarily get a better (albeit newer) product. I'd be happy with five years guaranteed from a new one. If only! 

I need to give that some serious thought. The fluid is pink and has been since she was last serviced. Mike.

5 hours ago, mikeyv said:

Me too, knackered arteries don't like the cold!

We've been watching the spanish property programs with interest, even though this winter hasn't been too bad so far.

Only a poorly dog has stopped us driving down in the campervan to take a closer look.

The dog is obviously not a Lexus then. Poor thing how old is your dog and what breed? Mike.

1 hour ago, Bluesman said:

The dog is obviously not a Lexus then. Poor thing how old is your dog and what breed? Mike.

12 1/2, rescued when he was 10 months old and we were his third attempt at being homed.

He's a labrador/staffie brindle coloured cross (we think!!), and was a right handful when we got him, but he soon matured in to a marvellous pet, once he realised he had landed on his feet.

Sadly, after some dental work, he developed a growth on his gum, which when removed was found to be cancerous, and the vet has said 5 months is the average time left.

So, he's going to get spoiled rotten, as long as he's with us, Spain can wait.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cleverdick said:

A good result of course, and our cars rarely fail the MoT unexpectedly.  But nevertheless, this is would be a terrible time of year weather-wise to be without a car in case of failure.  Why not get a new MoT in late spring, just for future peace of mind?

We're fortunate to be retired, as well as having a campervan which is in use all year, so wouldn't be a huge problem if the car failed.

Must admit though, it's a lot nicer working under a car in summer.

11 hours ago, mikeyv said:

12 1/2, rescued when he was 10 months old and we were his third attempt at being homed.

He's a labrador/staffie brindle coloured cross (we think!!), and was a right handful when we got him, but he soon matured in to a marvellous pet, once he realised he had landed on his feet.

Sadly, after some dental work, he developed a growth on his gum, which when removed was found to be cancerous, and the vet has said 5 months is the average time left.

I don't have any pets however i watch Super Vet with fascination. Some of the animals have very complicated problems but Noel deals with everything so easily - he is amazing !

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mikeyv said:

He sounds like a great dog. Such a shame they get ill and have to leave us. Mike.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Titch LS said:

Why waste your money on a replacement radiator on an LS 400?  No known cases of coolant in the gearbox. LS430 problem.

None reported on a forum that is - but nothing lasts forever and when hot and cold fluid is constantly flushing through copper and solder?  If I can get a second hand one for a tenner I might open it up to see how it looks inside. If only we could be assured that there won't be a failure I'd go along with you.  21 years is a good lifespan.

What is the OEM make in the LS400. Is it a Koyo?

The point is I've only ever heard of this being a problem on LS430's (and on some Land Cruisers, I might add), but never on an LS400. This can only be due to differing design and manufacturing processes on the production line from 2001 onwards. Putting it bluntly, it's a design fault.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links