Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• 1 month later...
On 12/05/2016 at 0:35 PM, ahmedali44 said:

I received my new map dvd, replaced it, seems to work ok will test it out once go somewhere. Was cheaper then other sites 

DSC_0022.JPG

IMG-20160512-WA0004.jpeg

Did this work? If so any chance you can post the link. Thanks

Is it just me or does anyone else find the sat nav built in to the is2 'crap ' for want of a better word, I used to use a Tom Tom in my  is2 and found it far superior to the Lexus system, at least you could put full post codes in and it gave government cash camera warnings ! 

Allan

6 hours ago, aly-g said:

Is it just me or does anyone else find the sat nav built in to the is2 'crap ' for want of a better word, I used to use a Tom Tom in my  is2 and found it far superior to the Lexus system, at least you could put full post codes in and it gave government cash camera warnings ! 

Allan

Agree !

I use Sygic on my phone....far superior.

2 hours ago, steveledzep said:

Agree !

This looks very interesting.  Do you have a special carrier for the phone so that it is easily visible?  I'm not sure that the screen on my phone would be big enough for me to see very clearly. What sort of cost is involved with Sygic?  My son uses Google maps on his Iphone 6 which has a larger screen than my Iphone 4 but it always strikes me as not being easy to be trying to follow from a phone screen.  My old Garmin was quite good but I made a special carrier for it when I had my Rover and that was fairly easy to see.

Sygic is available as a free one month trial. To subscribe is a one off payment of £18 (was when I did it). I mostly use a screen mounted holder, readily available on eBay for all phones. Sometimes I'll just stand the phone in the cup holder as the verbal instructions are mostly sufficient. Sygic offer a heads up display facility from the phone too, I don't have this.

Been using it over a year and receive frequent updates. I strongly recommend trying it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I find the sat nav to be pretty good all things considered - it's particularly good for pointing out when you're coming up to services on a motorway.  I find it easier (and less Battery hungry!) than using my phone in the car, though I do check the exact location of things on Google maps first and then shift the destination on the sat nav just to be sure!

I would agree with wisty, when I started to use it not very easy to program but once u know how to use it its not that difficult. I thought it was pretty good.first time used it to go dewsbury then Manchester ok try to take me through taxi /buses only  but wasn't updated, wasn't bad speaks to u too when junction coming up,shows lanes,service stations, it's great. I only used it once but tomtom is more easy to program but it's exactly same even better with bigger screen. I prefer my car sat Nav.

It also means you don't end up with that ugly sticky ring mark on the windscreen too.  Always a plus!

I've found it's not too bad for diverting around traffic (only works if she's giving you directions: they don't just come up if you're on your way home from work.  My phone tells me that before I leave though.  How did we live before Google?!) - although sometimes it warns me of slow traffic or congestion when I'm already caught up in it.  

If I could hack it so it showed Google maps from my phone though...

merc uses cell phones internet to give live update.

Maybe new lexus does the same but spending anything to get a new dvd for 60 quid is not worth it in my opinion. if it costed a 10ner then maybe...

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 7:36 AM, steveledzep said:

Agree !

Definitely. For 20 euros they gave me lifetime updates and traffic updates (internet connection required) for the whole of Europe.

Maps can be downloaded, so no internet connection required (unlike Google) - although you have to sacrifice the live traffic updates if no internet is available. Great for misers like me who refuse to enable data roaming when abroad!

The IS satnav is OK, but is showing its age (I'm guessing the tech is 15 years old now - maybe older). I used to work for a chip company supplying chips to car manufacturers (amongst others). They always took the oldest (i.e. most stable) devices they could lay their hands on - they weren't interested in bleeding edge technology (like the mobile phone makers) since footprint and power consumption weren't an issue to them. And those decisions were taken about three years before the car was even launched!

1 hour ago, jackcramerr said:

dazed are you an ee?

Sometimes, but I spend most of time writing realtime software nowadays. So much stuff that used to require proprietary hardware can now be done in software using cheap commodity hardware.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links