Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am looking to do an oil change on the diff.

Its taken two weeks to find the correct parts but have them now. Not too sure if I have the correct washer for the drain plug but I believe the fill plug and the drain plug are the same size (these washers are on order, not received them yet) I believe they are copper crushable washers as opposed to the fibre ones...

OIL - Redline and OEM diff oil costs the same and two 1 litre bottles are required. Question is, should I stick to the OEM knowing its good or will there be benefits from using another compatible oil such as red line or others?

There are no indications of a service interval from Lexus for the diff, just checks made at certain intervals - guess this would be for leaks?

Lexus doesn't say to change it maybe for a very good reason. Billion pound of japanese engineering vs a few DIYrs and comments.

Get the OEM lexus. You don't want to experiment over a few quids.

• Like 1

There is currently no issue with the diff but I will monitor the difference after I have changed the oil just to compare.

The parts such as the filler plug washers are like gold dust - easily available in the states but I could find nowhere over in the UK selling or advertising these. Lexus didn't even know the part number for them (didn't even know what they were) and I had to use a US part number for them to reference. A Lexus eBay shop had listed 10 for me - I have bought 4 of so there are 6 left for anyone considering an oil change. I just need to understand if the filler is actually the same as the drain washer (its described as such for the filler and the drain plug).... in eBay, search

Genuine Toyota Gasket No.2 (For Manual Transmission Filler Plug) 1215710010

The car is near to 100k (91k) and I plan to keep it so I am doing it for no other reason than I reckon the oil will at some point will need to be replaced. I have seen references to it not needing done, as per the gearbox, but the oil will surely breakdown etc after time I am reckoning. For the expense (£42 for all the parts) it looks to be an easy job - I have located the fill and drain plugs and its an easy change (famous last words ...!)

Once done I will do a write up with pictures to compare the used with the new oil. I also believe the plug is magnetic in the Diff so will also examine that although I don't know it will prove anything as its more than likely not been changed before and whats in there would be from the initial bedding in of the gears..

9 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

TI have seen references to it not needing done, as per the gearbox, but the oil will surely breakdown etc after time I am reckoning. For the expense (£42 for all the parts) it looks to be an easy job - I have located the fill and drain plugs and its an easy change (famous last words ...!)

It is a lifetime fill, and unlike engine oil it isn't under extreme conditions so doesn't really breakdown in the same way, but changing every 10 years isn't going to hurt. More important is the check the level every year or so, that way if there is a leak you hopefully will notice before too much oil is lost and the diff gets damaged.

Yes, 12157-10010, the gasket for both the drain and filler plugs.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2007_LEXUS_IS250%7E350%7E2xxD_GSE20R-AETLHW_4101.html

Considering you have got all the parts I can guess it is to late to say it is not really DIY... but I guess you already know it and are determined to do it ... 

On the matter if that can be done... yes surely dealer was doing mine ever since 96k for £15-£19 per change, so again a lot of risk doing it wrong and it actually costs more to do it yourself. 

But I guess this is not a point... it is rather the case of experiencing everything yourself and I do appreciate it. Maybe sometime you can ever share some of your knowledge with other .. which again would be really appreciated... so Goodluck!

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Considering you have got all the parts I can guess it is to late to say it is not really DIY... but I guess you already know it and are determined to do it ... 

On the matter if that can be done... yes surely dealer was doing mine ever since 96k for £15-£19 per change, so again a lot of risk doing it wrong and it actually costs more to do it yourself. 

But I guess this is not a point... it is rather the case of experiencing everything yourself and I do appreciate it. Maybe sometime you can ever share some of your knowledge with other .. which again would be really appreciated... so Goodluck!

I don't mind doing work like this - its how you learn about how the car works and how to maintain it. I have never done it before but read up on it and it looks easy enough. I have the tools and am waiting for the parts to arrive. I have located the fill and drain plugs and have a good level surface to aid the drain of fluid ... I cant see there being an issue really.

That's a good price you have yours done for - the parts alone from Lexus cost £42 and 40 of that is the oil. Comparable oils cost the same as the OEM fluid. Is that a dealer price? I would expect it to cost around £100 from Lexus and most of that being the labour charge?

Once I have done it I will post a how to on the forum with the tool sizes etc...

Well that was done as part of full service - I would be surprised if dealer would accept it as standalone work... or in such case would charge less than £100. That said the price is correct - various prices over years for oil: the cheapest £14.52 (quantity 11?) and the most expensive £19.23 (quantity 14?) +  £1.73 for 2 gaskets (weirdly that works out £0.865 each?!). Surprisingly I have traced back ... the first gear oil change was done at 41013 miles when car was barely 2 years old... Dealer cashing out?

While this is a bit of surprise check of transmission and diff oils are part Full service, thought I would not expect that car barely 2 years old would need "top-up". It states "replace as required (model dependant)" - which for me sounds like "n/a" on automatic IS250, unless 10+ years old. 

In details it states GEAR OIL ZEP75/90. I have no clue what they referring to by quantity (it seems they used 14 of 100ml bottles). That said previous owner had loyalty card and 12.5% discount was applied for all works and parts.

That's not a lot of miles or age wise to have the oil changed. I have only ever seen a note of "inspect diff oil" in the service schedule so have presumed this is to check against any leaks and this indication of "inspect diff" goes up to 120k miles in the service schedule with no mention of a requirement to change the oil.

The diff will take 1.4 litres of oil so your 14 x 100ml bottles is right for an oil change - possibly the 100ml sachets used had a fill nozzle on them and they were used rather than two bottles with a pump to fill the diff. Sounds like the 11 x 100ml was a top up but that's a big top up. The OEM Toyota oil is spec'd at 75W/80 (not that different from the 75/90 you have in yours) and purchased in 1 litre bottles but I have read some people change their oil at regular intervals from 25k up to 100k - mainly in the US.

There's debate on whether the gearbox oil needs changing or even checked for that matter if there's no leak or issue in its operation. This is definitely a dealer job or a garage job. I would not attempt this on my own - at some point I will have it done though as I would consider It would benefit from the change (more than the diff) as after all the oil acts as a medium to hold any dirt or impurities etc and it does do a lot of work.

This raises the question about the long life oils used in cars these days - those that use filters such as the engine oil - it would make sense to consider an oil filter that would also in itself be a long life one so it would be good practise to get a good quality filter to ensure the oil could do its job as intended.

Re long life oils/ extended service intervals - they are the biggest threat to engine longevity invented by man. An engine that only has its oil changed at 20K mile intervals might well last until the end of the warranty period or likely lease period. After that, manufacturers and first owners (often leasing companies) don't care.

Extended service intervals were invented to reduce servicing costs for fleet managers, 'cos that's where the manufacturers bread is buttered and selling to fleets is so competitive.

It is much better for an engine to have its oil changed more frequently - I reckon half the recommended intervals or at least annually. My MX-5 gets new oil every 3K or 12 months and my Lexus every 5K. Nothing wrong with long life oil as such - my favourite (GM Dexos2) is rated long life by some manufacturers (BMW, Mercedes) but not others (VW).

My thoughts exactly - do my engine oil every 6 months as I intend to keep the car and I want to look after it, I use Magnatec A5 only because it sometimes goes on offer in local store so I will usually buy two tubs and have had no issues with it so have stuck to it. I don't think changing the oil every 6 months is overkill as I don't do that many miles a year. Longest journey may be an 700 mile round trip and annual mileage is around 5k with a lot of that under 7 miles each way on a daily commute.

I am not a mechanic or an expert on oils but I cant understand why people don't treat the oil in the car as an important item. It will breakdown to some extent - its designed to hold the impurities produced by metal on metal and one of the reasons it (in the engine) turns black.

I am waiting for diff parts so I can change that oil - its too easy a job not to have it considered as part of the service schedule - even at a 50k mile point - for someone that's done it before I reckon a 15 minute job (including the drain) I am curious now and will compare the old diff oil to the new just to see the difference - car is on 92k miles so I am sure there will be a noticeable difference between them both. In a warped way I am kind of hoping there will be so I can prove to myself its been worthwhile.

I would like to do the gear box oil also but that will be a dealer job

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links