Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After 2 years of my M2 axle back exhaust and the loudness of it I'm wanting to buy the original exhaust as it was much quieter (old age kicking in)..ive searched eBay but no one seems to be selling or breaking any parts for exhausts...

I may put in advert if anyone is looking to sell theirs or swap as the novelty of a loud exhaust is wearing off!! 

Has anyone had an after market exhaust put on?

I have had after market on other vehicles. Stainless steel always have them as near to oe sound as possible, can not understand why people think

you can live with the drone on a daily basic. Go to a centre where you live, may be able to make yours less noisey. Always buy resonated quieter all round.

• Like 1

I have never seen one listed for sell outside of US, but if you contact the sellers on eBay they usually have these parts... but it is not cheap. I think when one of my boxes brake loose, I was quoted £660 for new original, £300-400 for aftermarket and if I remember right there was one used for like £450. 

The problem is that they breaking much more IS220d, and much fewer IS250s. 

24 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I have never seen one listed for sell outside of US, but if you contact the sellers on eBay they usually have these parts... but it is not cheap. I think when one of my boxes brake loose, I was quoted £660 for new original, £300-400 for aftermarket and if I remember right there was one used for like £450. 

The problem is that they breaking much more IS220d, and much fewer IS250s. 

Exactly this. I'm only needing the 2 back boxes but like you say there is a lot of 220 breaking and hardly any is250 on auction. 

8 hours ago, lex28 said:

Exactly this. I'm only needing the 2 back boxes but like you say there is a lot of 220 breaking and hardly any is250 on auction. 

I can vouch for this - been looking for months and no luck and ringing round scrap dealers. One came up last week but was on eBay for approx. 2 days then went - was in South London, too far for me to collect and it wont fit in my car. Was quoted at £100 for carriage !!

Had my ss exhaust on for 2 years now and the drone is awful, but not only that, the noise is a deep rumble and neighbours two houses away can hear it in the morning (and I live in a detached house). Like you said, it was a novelty at first - pain in the a@se now, especially on the motorway around 2 - 3k revs which turns out to be 70 mph. I have been collecting parts to make a mild steel exhaust - have all but the boxes now but have found what looks like a suitable pair, with a bit of modding they will fit. Once I have a welder I will be putting it together.

Other things are popping up around the house at the moment so time is an issue as well !

I am going back to mild steel as it absorbs the sound better - if I put it together myself I can easily replace parts in the future if/when they go. I will be doing the centre box back to the two mufflers.

Buying a new exhaust (centre and back) from Lexus at around 3k is 800£ short of what webuyanycar.com will give you for your complete car. How does that make any sense?

2 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

I can vouch for this - been looking for months and no luck and ringing round scrap dealers. One came up last week but was on eBay for approx. 2 days then went - was in South London, too far for me to collect and it wont fit in my car. Was quoted at £100 for carriage !!

Had my ss exhaust on for 2 years now and the drone is awful, but not only that, the noise is a deep rumble and neighbours two houses away can hear it in the morning (and I live in a detached house). Like you said, it was a novelty at first - pain in the a@se now, especially on the motorway around 2 - 3k revs which turns out to be 70 mph. I have been collecting parts to make a mild steel exhaust - have all but the boxes now but have found what looks like a suitable pair, with a bit of modding they will fit. Once I have a welder I will be putting it together.

Other things are popping up around the house at the moment so time is an issue as well !

I am going back to mild steel as it absorbs the sound better - if I put it together myself I can easily replace parts in the future if/when they go. I will be doing the centre box back to the two mufflers.

Buying a new exhaust (centre and back) from Lexus at around 3k is 800£ short of what webuyanycar.com will give you for your complete car. How does that make any sense?

I think I seen the exhaust on eBay...just under £200 I think for it and £100 carriage! 

No doubt some may like the drone of the exhaust but as we both agree the novelty wears off and sometimes I find it embarrassing as it attract attention even at low speed.

we buy any car quoted me £3000 too...bearing in mind how much parts cost it's certainly a car that doesn't make sense at times! 

It makes me smirk a bit - when I leave for work in the morning its during the time of the school run and the roads I use are mostly 30 to 50mph. When coming up to the school bus stops and passing them, I can see the kids look round as if a bus is coming - gets them every time!!

Once I have done my exhaust I will post a how to, should be useful for someone.

• Like 2

I've not checked your links but I've messaged 3 listings so far and all have sold of the back boxes. Apparently they are going like hot buns once a Lexus is listed for parts.

Pictures of the car in the listing are usually taken before breaking. And the state of the car when it is listed usually already fully dismantled (unless it it private "dismantler"). Mostly there are two options:

• Either is sold
  • or not worth selling... rusted etc.. 

Third options sometimes is that it is for sell, but expensive.. 

I am starting to thing I might be interested to trade for performance exhaust ... (nah just joking :D)

Its quite a poor decision from Lexus to not release the pattern part, especially as it is considered a consumable part - maybe its not only the IS brand they are doing it on?. My car will be 10 years old next year - so at some point up to then I would have imagined it would definitely have needed a replacement and the only option to do this is to go down the route of a bespoke one unless people do want to shell out the 3k for a new one.

Exhausts may be pricey, but if a standard exhaust can last 10years plus what is the price? 

Are they over the 1000 pound mark? After market full system would be similar or more. I know which i prefer. I would keep away from second hand

as better the devel and all that.

My exhaust went 2 years ago at around 80k I think (7 years old) - the centre after the exhaust join (before the middle box) split and dropped. Could not be welded.

I managed to patch it up and continued using it - its a daily commute so I needed it on the road to get back and forward to work. Lexus quoted me 2700 £ for the centre and boxes plus a 4 week wait for the part......I had no choice but to look around locally - found a company that done the stainless exhausts and they had it for 2 days so they could copy the original exhaust (routing etc)

I think its a time bomb waiting to happen when owners of the older IS's realise the cost of an OEM exhaust - their only option in replacing it will be with a new stainless one - unless they want to fork out for the OEM one. Getting the choice of exhaust right (quiet) could be a costly one

16 minutes ago, is200 Newbie said:

My exhaust went 2 years ago at around 80k I think (7 years old) - the centre after the exhaust join (before the middle box) split and dropped. Could not be welded.

I managed to patch it up and continued using it - its a daily commute so I needed it on the road to get back and forward to work. Lexus quoted me 2700 £ for the centre and boxes plus a 4 week wait for the part......I had no choice but to look around locally - found a company that done the stainless exhausts and they had it for 2 days so they could copy the original exhaust (routing etc)

I think its a time bomb waiting to happen when owners of the older IS's realise the cost of an OEM exhaust - their only option in replacing it will be with a new stainless one - unless they want to fork out for the OEM one. Getting the choice of exhaust right (quiet) could be a costly one

Given the astronomical price Lexus want and the apparent demand, I'm surprised that nobody is making bespoke exhausts in mild steel as well as stainless - or am I missing something

2 hours ago, madasahatter said:

Thats steep for sure, did you try different dealers.

I tried my two local ones - Chester and Bootle. Both came back with similar quotes (2700 £ did included fitting !)

1 hour ago, IS200D said:

Given the astronomical price Lexus want and the apparent demand, I'm surprised that nobody is making bespoke exhausts in mild steel as well as stainless - or am I missing something

You are not missing anything - I considered taking the car into ATS and asking them if they would be able to fit another make of box on, ford etc, they couldn't do it. This is going to hit people in their pocket when they go.

I'm having my recall done this week so will be asking Lexus Leicester on prices exhaust. As a business I can't see how they have so many expensive parts sitting on shelves when making them more affordable customers would pay for a replacement. 

Like previously said, a brand new exhaust if only a grand or so off buying a used 55 reg is250!!! Ludicrous!!!

I am sure there are many places which can make aftermarket exhaust end-to-end ~£1000. Lexus OE exhaust is no brainier for £3k+ and it is as well worse quality... I mean in terms of material stainless steel on good quality aftermarket exhaust will outlast "treated" steel on OEM.

I have said if I need to replace mine... I will get one made end-to-end from titanium from eastern EU ~£700.

• 1 month later...

What's the root cause of the corrosion? Is there any way to prevent the corrosion?

Will an MOT or Lexus Service pick up exhaust corrosion? The Lexus warranty does not cover corroded exhausts and this thread scares me as I'm picking up the car from the dealer next week...

I guess the only way to see the corrosion is up on a ramp.

Exhaust corrodes from outside very slowly and this is natural. I would say 10 years is the lifetime..

On to of that the corrode from inside due to condensate, amount of which depends on many things, like fuel you use, how often and how long you drive..

Finally, there could be faults, like "weld-through" etc. which can fail much quicker then the rest of the system.

IS250 is not exception from other cars, maybe just that is less popular and it is harder to find after-market systems, and the OEM one is very expensive.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links