Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300H - Bumper Repair - Recommendations please

Hi all,

After nearly two faultless years of ownership, I am sad to say that I am moving on from the IS300H. The overall Lexus experience has been fantastic, and I will no doubt return to the brand in the future.

Before moving on, I have some slight damage to the rear of the car that will need addressing. I have hopefully attached a picture that you will all be able to see. There is no damage to the metal, however the plastic trim has popped in and a new reflector will be required. Would anyone please be able to advise on any repairers in the East London / Essex borders that would be able to repair this at a reasonable cost and carry out a good quality repair? I would ideally need the work to be carried out within the next couple of weeks.

Many thanks in advance for any responses.

Nick

Car Bumper.jpg

if you can unclip the plastic trim you should be able to reshape it using a hairdryer soften the plastic and press it out

or the other option buy a new lower trim and reflector they will only clip on

Needs a new reflector and a lower bumper trim

Heating it up is going to look pretty obvious, not to mention it might actually change the texture of the plastic - Its also got some cracks in - can't imagine it'd be that expensive,

Many thanks to those that have responded. I did consider using the hairdryer method but thought that it wouldn't look like a quality repair and I will get stung for damage charges when the car returns. if anyone is able to advise of where I would be able to source a new bumper trim and reflector and fit that would be great. I am reluctant to take it back to Lexus as I imagine they will charge a small fortune!

DJP - I am moving to an Audi A4. I had hoped to continue the lease with the Lexus for another year but the costs quoted increased significantly. Whilst the A4 in my view isn't a good a car, it was a case of needs must and the lease cost was massively cheaper.

We had a similar damage done to our recently. Lexus quoted £900ish......Ended up been sorted by a smart repair chap in one morning for £80. The reflector part left is screwed into the bumper your need to take the bumper off to replace it (you cannot just pull it off). The reflector you can only get from Lexus....£80sih!!! Even the Lexus part guy couldn't believe how much it cost, it's just a bit of plastic, the other option is a 3rd party reflector off eBay, but you take your chances with fittment. 

Many thanks for the information Ganzoom. I am obviously highly reluctant to be paying around £900 with Lexus to repair this and then hand the vehicle back. £80 for just a reflector is extortionate!. I will keep looking into alternative solutions - although any further recommendations to get this repaired would be most welcome.

9 hours ago, 200h said:

nick

autoglass have a mobile body repair service,just send them a photo of the damage and they will email you a repair price

https://www.autoglass.co.uk/about-us/autorestore/

led reflector

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-IS-250-300h-MK-III-Black-Lens-Rear-Bumper-Reflector-LED-Signal-Brake-Light-/222017677306?hash=item33b148e7fa:g:ZWAAAOSwAvJXC8yA

I think you're wrong with that reflector, it appears to be an illuminated one requiring wiring to it and I read the description as it being 'black' when not illuminated. But maybe I've got it wrong?

The problem with eBay stuff is they rarely fit perfectly, I've spent a lot of ££ on body parts off eBay for my last car, I cannot remeber a 3rd party part ever fitting first time out of the box, they all needed some work in the body shop first.

The actual repair isn't hard, any smart repairer should be able to sort the plastic trim repair for sub £100, the reflector you really have to buy from Lexus. In total it cost me less than £200 to sort out the repair on our car which suffered similar damage to the OP, which isn't too bad cost wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again everyone for your comments and advice.

I requested a quote from Autorestore as suggested by 200h... the price they quoted was £687.82 inclusive of VAT.. That also includes a £25 discount!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links