Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1 hour ago, is200 Newbie said:

Very happy with it. To be honest I am quite surprised how easy it was to make and surprised no one else has done it before.

Excellent job, it looks great...and yes, it surprises me custom exhaust firms aren't using mild steel as well as stainless, as there's clearly a market for it.

25 minutes ago, IS200D said:

Excellent job, it looks great...and yes, it surprises me custom exhaust firms aren't using mild steel as well as stainless, as there's clearly a market for it.

Totally agree - Once the pattern is done then its just a case of cutting the pipes and fitting it together. If its available off the shelf then its no more than a 2 hour DIY job to fit and that's taking time doing it.

So quiet now and it has gained a lot of power back. 

5 minutes ago, is200 Newbie said:

Totally agree - Once the pattern is done then its just a case of cutting the pipes and fitting it together. If its available off the shelf then its no more than a 2 hour DIY job to fit and that's taking time doing it.

So quiet now and it has gained a lot of power back. 

Seeing as nobody else has taken the initiative, perhaps you should go for it yourself!

Great to hear the usual Lexus quiet is restored.

Nice one ..... a forum first if I'm not mistaken. 👏

Interesting you noted some power increase as well......any thoughts?

More power vrs s/s previous or more power than you remember for OEM.... or both?

Again... good job.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

12 hours ago, Vintagesixtysix said:

Nice one ..... a forum first if I'm not mistaken. 👏

Interesting you noted some power increase as well......any thoughts?

More power vrs s/s previous or more power than you remember for OEM.... or both?

Again... good job.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

It has been that long ago since the SS exhaust went on after the original one failed that I cant remember what it was like pre SS.

I did notice a difference when the SS one was fitted, mostly in noise. Its hard to explain but the noise was that you could hear every gear change when in auto mode. You could also feel the gear changes. The drone at 2k revs was something I got used to at motorway speeds but lately got fed up with it. It was mostly cabin noise but there was a bit of exhaust noise outside of the car.

The differences from putting this exhaust on are speed / responsiveness and noise - all to the good and very noticeably good. Its probably gone back to stock but feels new to me after driving a "tug" for the past two/three years.

The changes I have made to what would be the oem system are:

• Centre resonator - from a 2.0L IS200 which is smaller in diameter but longer than the IS250 oem one. This IS200 one replaced a freeflow SS one which was bigger in diameter but shorter in length. The IS200 resonator, looking through the "can" has gauze fins inside shaped in a screw pattern and I an guessing this is disrupting the flow of gasses making this "can" quiet (vortex effect) also helping to pull gasses from the engine but also adding a bit of back pressure compared to the SS one which when looking through that "can" was just a straight through pipe and just passing the gasses through with no resistance..
  • The piping from the IS200 centre resonator to the boxes I done in 63mm mild steel - the oem size I know is smaller (I think 54mm but not sure) Putting 63mm pipe on matched the pipe on the Rover boxes. Thoughts on puttint the bigger diameter pipe on was to, once out of the resonator, the gasses can escape quicker ...making the pipe bigger on the other side of the resonator I thought would not put pressure on the engine expelling the gasses as its being pulled through by the new IS200 resonator and exit quicker..
  • The Rover boxes were only selected due to the good match of the size, the fact that each box is a twin box had no bearing on why I chose them - I looked for a boxes from a V6 and these, from looking at loads of variants, were the best match.

I went for mild steel after reading a lot about the reasons manufacturers use this - ignoring the cost side, there are benefits from mild steel over stainless.

• Mild steel absorbs noise better than SS
  • Mild steel is cheaper
  • I have found it easier to work with
  • I have found the mild steel thicker than the SS
  • When I was working on the system I found the heat dissipation of the mild steel was a lot better compared to the SS
  • However, the life span of mild steel is a lot shorter than SS but with the mild steel being peanuts in cost comparison then I think its negligible. All parts on my system now can easily be replaced by stock parts (replacement of all the parts, pipes & boxes,I have put on will cost me just over £100 - I cant argue with that.

One thing I noticed with the SS system I took off after cleaning it was the discolouration of the piping - it was tarnished (a light brass colour) due to the heat. the boxes and resonator when cleaned were as new - (like mirrors). So I can guess the pipe was affected by the heat, no brainer as the evidence is there. The boxes were not and the fact you can handle the boxes to some extent when the engine is hot backs this up. So, when you start your car up in the morning and its cold, its a lot noisier then than when its up to temp. At a guess, its possible due to the boxes not dissipating the heat then that's the reason it was noisy?

Without looking at an oem exhaust to compare, the main changes are pipe size / resonator and back boxes, so I guess all the components are different from stock.

A couple if issues with my welding - it will get better (I hope !) Happy with the job though - took a while for me to do this. I was taling about it for about a year until I had the actual time to do it but well worth it.

1 hour ago, is200 Newbie said:

It has been that long ago since the SS exhaust went on after the original one failed that I cant remember what it was like pre SS.

I did notice a difference when the SS one was fitted, mostly in noise. Its hard to explain but the noise was that you could hear every gear change when in auto mode. You could also feel the gear changes. The drone at 2k revs was something I got used to at motorway speeds but lately got fed up with it. It was mostly cabin noise but there was a bit of exhaust noise outside of the car.

The differences from putting this exhaust on are speed / responsiveness and noise - all to the good and very noticeably good. Its probably gone back to stock but feels new to me after driving a "tug" for the past two/three years.

The changes I have made to what would be the oem system are:

• Centre resonator - from a 2.0L IS200 which is smaller in diameter but longer than the IS250 oem one. This IS200 one replaced a freeflow SS one which was bigger in diameter but shorter in length. The IS200 resonator, looking through the "can" has gauze fins inside shaped in a screw pattern and I an guessing this is disrupting the flow of gasses making this "can" quiet (vortex effect) also helping to pull gasses from the engine but also adding a bit of back pressure compared to the SS one which when looking through that "can" was just a straight through pipe and just passing the gasses through with no resistance..
  • The piping from the IS200 centre resonator to the boxes I done in 63mm mild steel - the oem size I know is smaller (I think 54mm but not sure) Putting 63mm pipe on matched the pipe on the Rover boxes. Thoughts on puttint the bigger diameter pipe on was to, once out of the resonator, the gasses can escape quicker ...making the pipe bigger on the other side of the resonator I thought would not put pressure on the engine expelling the gasses as its being pulled through by the new IS200 resonator and exit quicker..
  • The Rover boxes were only selected due to the good match of the size, the fact that each box is a twin box had no bearing on why I chose them - I looked for a boxes from a V6 and these, from looking at loads of variants, were the best match.

I went for mild steel after reading a lot about the reasons manufacturers use this - ignoring the cost side, there are benefits from mild steel over stainless.

• Mild steel absorbs noise better than SS
  • Mild steel is cheaper
  • I have found it easier to work with
  • I have found the mild steel thicker than the SS
  • When I was working on the system I found the heat dissipation of the mild steel was a lot better compared to the SS
  • However, the life span of mild steel is a lot shorter than SS but with the mild steel being peanuts in cost comparison then I think its negligible. All parts on my system now can easily be replaced by stock parts (replacement of all the parts, pipes & boxes,I have put on will cost me just over £100 - I cant argue with that.

One thing I noticed with the SS system I took off after cleaning it was the discolouration of the piping - it was tarnished (a light brass colour) due to the heat. the boxes and resonator when cleaned were as new - (like mirrors). So I can guess the pipe was affected by the heat, no brainer as the evidence is there. The boxes were not and the fact you can handle the boxes to some extent when the engine is hot backs this up. So, when you start your car up in the morning and its cold, its a lot noisier then than when its up to temp. At a guess, its possible due to the boxes not dissipating the heat then that's the reason it was noisy?

Without looking at an oem exhaust to compare, the main changes are pipe size / resonator and back boxes, so I guess all the components are different from stock.

A couple if issues with my welding - it will get better (I hope !) Happy with the job though - took a while for me to do this. I was taling about it for about a year until I had the actual time to do it but well worth it.

Well done you, just shows the true cost of these exhaust systems. Welding is an art i never fettled, so good on you for not giving up.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links