Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Satelite Navigation

Hi Guys

I have my Is200 which I bought back in 1999. It has the genuine Lexus Sat Nav CD kit, but this I find is becoming more unreliable as it's now so outdated.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to whether the CD can be upgraded and if so how do I get one and what's the likely cost?.

Cheers

Cheers Paul, I guess that's the obvious one.

Does the CD load into the Hard Drive of the Sat Nav?, if so can't I just update it by borrowing a newer CD (prior to the DVD upgrade).

I'm already a Gold Member although for some reason it doesn't show you that??

I'll check with the local dealership over the weekend.

Nope, the Sat Nav accesses the CD as and when it needs to. You'll need a new CD. However, Give Lexus UK a call. They will be able to loan ytou one, just to see what differences a new one will make. My old disc used to divert me into P'boro when travelling along the A1, whereas the new one doesn't

Just in case anyone's not got sat nav. I used to own an LS400 Mk4 with satnav.CD version. People told me it was the best system available. I was not impressed with it. I now know why. I changed to a car without satnav. I bought a PDA satnav system from Aldi Stores for £350 ( Medion). It is brilliant, far more helpful and accurate even lets you put in a house number and tells you which side of the street its on. Has much better lists of nearby facilities. And although it does not rely on cars distance travelled info it usually sees up to nine sats. It recovers from a missed turn within a few yards and does not get confused by parallel roads. Obvious drawback is you have to remove it from its cradle when you park and also need to use a stylus on the touch screen rather tan a finger. Pluses are, you also have a PDA to use. Anyone else got one?

Later CD adds features to nav system on LS400 + GS300 ...

House no. input

Map scale bar design is changed

Recalculate whole route

Delete next way point

Toll road priority

Set clock from GPS signal (GS only)

I guess the obvious advantage of a PDA system is

you can take it from car to car or bike or whatever.

I've got a 200 IS200s with Nav, with orginal disk. Very frustrating that it doesn't know that the M60 has been finished (especially as I live a mile away from Junct 1!) Anyway, just order a new CD Rom £131 plus vat, should get it tomorrow. Was shocked however when I ordered that the newer DVD discs are £330!!! Ouch if you want to update that!

I've got a 200 IS200s with Nav, with orginal disk. Very frustrating that it doesn't know that the M60 has been finished (especially as I live a mile away from Junct 1!) Anyway, just order a new CD Rom £131 plus vat, should get it tomorrow. Was shocked however when I ordered that the newer DVD discs are £330!!! Ouch if you want to update that!

I really cannot remember if the M60 is on mine (newest version!!!!).

DVD does cover Europe though :-)

Updated my CD last week (Still 3.7).

Improvements: knows about some newer bypasses etc near me.

The opposite of improvements, must be a word I can't think of pre-coffee: Now has a lunatic route on my way home from work that it used to do fine. INSISTS at every junction along the road I do a U-turn to go back the way I've just come, making it a 12 mile journey instead of 8. Then at a certain point it gives up and redirects me home the correct way. There is no detour or point to avoid set.

I wouldn't mind but this is the major route out of Cambridge leading to the A14, not a squiddy side road.

Weird, and doesn't enamour it to Mrs Dipstick who thought the idea of an update was a waste of money anyway. ("£130 and it's WORSE!, yada yada...").

• 2 years later...

Hi

I just ordered a 2005/2006 CD based disc for my IS 200SE on eBay

Its not the original disc from Lexus but its been made to work on IS GS LS based models that use the CD based syetem!

Price £24.99 and free delivery

Im waiting for it now but the seller who has good ratings tells me he has sold lots and it works fine in his 2000 IS 200!!

Dealers quoted me around £180

Hi

I just ordered a 2005/2006 CD based disc for my IS 200SE on Ebay

Its not the original disc from Lexus but its been made to work on IS GS LS based models that use the CD based syetem!

Price £24.99 and free delivery

Im waiting for it now but the seller who has good ratings tells me he has sold lots and it works fine in his 2000 IS 200!!

Dealers quoted me around £180

you mean it's an illegal copy then?

Just in case anyone's not got sat nav. I used to own an LS400 Mk4 with satnav.CD version. People told me it was the best system available. I was not impressed with it. I now know why. I changed to a car without satnav. I bought a PDA satnav system from Aldi Stores for £350 ( Medion). It is brilliant, far more helpful and accurate even lets you put in a house number and tells you which side of the street its on. Has much better lists of nearby facilities. And although it does not rely on cars distance travelled info it usually sees up to nine sats. It recovers from a missed turn within a few yards and does not get confused by parallel roads. Obvious drawback is you have to remove it from its cradle when you park and also need to use a stylus on the touch screen rather tan a finger. Pluses are, you also have a PDA to use. Anyone else got one?

my mum just bought one of them for £50 quid from Halfords, reduced from £200 on sale. nice bit of gear, but personally i don't think its as good as my lexus one, or my road angel navigator (although the road angel is VERY slow to load up)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links