Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Charge The Battery?

Maz

Hi guys, first does anyone know if i disconnected the air con/clock panel will stop the car starting or not? if not then i think i have a very flat Battery, as i couldnt start the car tonight, starter motor not even turning, so i went out and brought a charger, but couldnt get a extenison lead, as my kitchen with the nearest main stocket is about 20 yards from the garage, so have to get a extenison lead tomorrow, but can any of you experts tell me if there anything i need to watch out for when charging the Battery, e.g like how to connect the lead from the charger to the Battery (-neg first then +pos second?), and do i turn power on before or after connect the charger lead to the Battery? im a bit worry i will bow the Battery up if i dont do it right, so any advices will be very grateful....

Regards

Maz

I think its the positive first then the negative clamp goes on the manifold heat shield.

I bought one of those chargers with a torch and compressor for pumping up your tyres a while back.... really handy little tool, and i think it was only about £30

you dont connect the lead to the Battery but the manifold heat shield????

cant i just connect Neg to Neg on the Battery? and also been told from the guys at Motorworld that i have to connect and disconnect Negative first is this true? and if i need to connect to an place other than the Battery Neg terminal, where is the best place to connect? and i know i sound very stupid but where is the manifold heat shield? hehe :blink::blink::blink::blink: ;) ;) ;)

if jumping one car from another it is prefable to disconnect the negative lead first, mainly because there are earthing points all around the engine bay , even the bodywork, if you were to disconnect the live first and accidently drop it or make contact with an earth you would be shorting a Battery out and big sparks would follow.

i was told that the ideal way to attach leads is to put the live on the Battery, and the negative on an earth point away from the Battery this is to stop any sparks occuring near the Battery,

The idea is that you don't make or break the circuit on a Battery terminal as this may cause a spark. So connect positive to positive on the Battery (as there are not many places to get at it) and then make the negative circuit somewhere convenient away from the Battery (as the Battery negative is connected to the chassis). Pick a point that is not painted and fairly solid so you get a good connection and dont scratch the paint.

Disconnect the negative first as well when you're finished.

The reason you avoid sparks near the Battery is that they can give off hydrogen gas if they have been charging / discharging heavily. (Remember grade 3 chemistry with the hydrogen gas in the test tube!)

your engine bay look different to my matey, here my engine bay, i circled 4 places, not sure where the manifold heat shield is, another thing is i had the engine bay painted black so not sure if i have any places now that i can clamp the lead to..... :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

my engine bay

the circle left of the engine

is the shield

make sure it isnt painted

it looks black in the picture

Thank matey i will try that tomorrow, its not painted, just rust and dirt i think... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

so do i still connect and disconnect the Negative terminal first?

Thank guys for all the helpful information...

the circle left of the engine

is the shield

make sure it isnt painted

it looks black in the picture

Thank matey i will try that tomorrow, its not painted, just rust and dirt i think... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

so do i still connect and disconnect the Negative terminal first?

Thank guys for all the helpful information...

:lol: Rust and dirt or YOUR car..... i`m disgusted!!!!

sorry about this guys. just make sure i get this right...

Connect charger to battery…..

Connect positive + first,

Then Connect Negative - last to an earth point.

Disconnect charger from battery…..

Disconnect Negative - first,

Then Disconnect Positive + last.

Re-Connecting the Battery to car……..

Re-Connect Positive + first,

Then Re-Connect Negative - last.

is that right? :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

I think the best thing to do Tony would be to remove the Battery from the car and charge it in the house

undo the black wire first, then the red reverse when putting the Battery back in again.

there's two bolts that hold the Battery in place with a bar that goes front to back of the Battery, there's also a plastic thing over the Battery that just lifts out. its a 2 min job as I changed my Battery in Halfords car park in the dark the other week

the standard Battery is 45 amps i think and the one i got from Halfords was 65 amp and cost me £55.00

you could just replace the Battery, I find mine start's much better, the lights dont dim anymore and the car seems a little bit more responsive too. and it would save you having to charge the Battery up

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links