Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air suspension, any issues?

Test driving a couple of 450h's on the weekend at Lexus Stoke. Both standard suspension. As my budget is for an older car, 7 years or so, should I stay away from the SEL air suspension models?

http://stoke.usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/RX-450h/35-SE-I-Navigation-Leather-r1bhtg6

Has anyone had any problems with the air suspension, or is the ride improvement worth the extra risk?

Having been a passenger in an air suspension model a number of times and owning a standard, non-air model, I really see no difference whatsoever or very slight at best. Therefore, in my humble opinion, the risks of the air system throwing very expensive faults is just not worth it (plenty of examples on here). Having said that, I've only experienced the RX300's not the 450h's, so my opinion may be worthless anyway but that's the way I see it :whistling1:

• Like 1

I have air suspension on a much older car.

I have had issues BUT, I do have the Lexus Warranty, which has covered all costs.

3 minutes ago, TimS320 said:

Thanks, are there problems then?

I had to have air struts replaced ... I guess they just get old.

Suspension is a consumable component, so replacement costs have to be factored in, air suspension is much more expensive than normal coil and damper types. It also has a complex control mechanism of sensors and CPU's to control it and these too may fail and are expensive. As for inherent problems, I have heard that the sensors can suffer if you live near the coast or 'off road' a lot but i don;t think they are problematic as such.

If you get a warranty that specifically covers the air suspension then go for it but if not i'd avoid due to the increased costs if something does go wrong.

I believe that the air suspension is fairly reliable on the 450h, more than it was on the 300/350, but it is very expensive to fix if/when it goes wrong. I have driven both, and can't say that the difference justifies the additional cost, although models with air suspension have other extras. Asa the others have said, ifyou want want one, make sure you buy the additional warranty.

I'd say the series III is still too young to know how well the air suspension will hold up, people reporting issues with the series II typically have vehicles 7 years old or more.

Whilst I'd like to think the reliability has increased over time, with improvements to the design, it is expensive to put right so I'd recommend sticking with sprung suspension or budget for a warranty that will cover any issues.

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, ColinBarber said:

I'd say the series III is still too young to know how well the air suspension will hold up, people reporting issues with the series II typically have vehicles 7 years old or more.

Whilst I'd like to think the reliability has increased over time, with improvements to the design, it is expensive to put right so I'd recommend sticking with sprung suspension or budget for a warranty that will cover any issues.

I have just looked through the servicing info on my 59 RX450H SE-L with air suspension, and have an invoice for some work done by Lexus Bristol end of June 2016.

It was for replacement of N/S/F top mount L48020-48075 205772/Cylinder Assy. £85.00 labour and £638.01 part cost. Not sure if that is all or part of the suspension.

Can anyone tell me what was change from part number?

Shows something failed after 7 years.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I had a RX300 with air suspension. This enabled me to have the vehicle lower itself for exiting the car. On entry it would pump up to it's driving position. On one occasion the rear offside unit just kept pumping up until it reached the maximum height. Although I could just drive it with care, the car was unstable. It was the sensor failed but this entailed a replacement unit at a cost of just on a thousand pounds including labour. Be warned.

• Like 1