Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake/fog Mod....

Scorpion

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has using the power from the brakelight caused any problems?

Raz... It could cause problems, because the existing circuit and wiring is designed only to run the current brake lights.

With this conversion, 2 extra 21w bulbs will pull more current of the existing circuit.

THe saftest way is to use a relay. This will ensure no further strain on your existing braking circuit.

16A Relay for Automotive Applications

A PCB mounting heavy duty relay primarily intended for automotive applications e.g. switching horns, lights etc. The contacts are rated at 16A at 125Vac/24Vdc. Contact configuration is single pole change over. Coil is rated at 12V. Overall dimensions: 32 x 27 x 20mm (excluding pins). Pin length: 3mm. Contact details

16A 125Vac/24Vdc

Max Voltage: 125Vac/24Vdc

Coil details

Nominal voltage: 12V

Coil resistance: 170 Ohms

Operating voltage: 9V to 15·6V

Will this do?

I did mine with diodes.

4 x tail lights,

5 x brake lights

2 x fog lights,(clear with red bulbs)

all done without switches or relays.

Not sure on the legality side of it all but someone told me you were'nt allowed any more than 4 x brake lights on at any one time !!!

You dont need a relay.

That all depends Pete...

Rather be on the safe side..

As I have seen Diode's smoke with excess current flowing through them.

We supply 1 and 3 amp ones, this will avoid feedback, if you were to switch on the fogs, stopping the actual brake light to act as fog's.

If using a relay with seperate fuse, the use of diodes will be obsolete, Unless the "IS" has independent left and right parking lights like on the BMW's. Have they ?

Surely this would be the safest bet?

Nethertheless RAZ .. you have a package on it's way.

Hey im not saying whats wrong or right,all i know is the current thats being drawn from the lights is so low the only way you would smoke it is if you had your foot on the brake for about 10minutes.which aint gonna happen in any situation and if it did the cut off point would be the fuse.The guy that did mine is from an auto electrical background and hes not going to let my £18k car go up in smoke now is he,for the price of a relay, if it needed it he would of put one in .

The point of this is that most of the electrical modding on here is done in a long and drawn out way my man takes the easiest route when a few are still trying to work out full closure.......been there done that,we will move on to the next mod.

People are clearly not reading this post,Duncan is in the trade and he hasn't used a relay so what does that tell you!!!!! and hes technically putting more of a strain on the circuit than i am with 4X Tail lights.

Duncan have you had any probs mate?

Mat does yours work the same as mine i.e:when you brake all 5 light up or is it like Duncans with 4 tail lights?

The post was originally to tell members that if they did this IT WAS LEGAL,i just wanted clarification from a M.O.T point of view and why members were using a seperate switch,it just got a bit side tracked.

Scorpion,you dont drive fast enough to use the brakes ! he he

as with all things there is many ways of doing it, I guess for the guys who dont have the knowledge, get someone to do it for you, I do !

Scorpion, please remove the blue lights on your windscreen water jets !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links