Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heavy Steering

1)Auto trans fluid is for power steering.

2)A brand(i think)

3)Either will do

4)Yes or your dealer may have it,dont know on price....sorry cant help.

Before you top it up i would be concerned on how long its been in there it should of been checked on both intermediate and full servicing.

Before you top it up i would be concerned on how long its been in there it should of been checked on both intermediate and full servicing.

the service intervals have been maintained Pete - so I assume it has been done.

What I think I'll do is get some anyway, top it up and make sure this corrects the problem, as if it doesn't I'll have to get it to Lexus before the warranty ends.

If it does fix it - I'll check back through the service records and check the boxes have been ticked.

50k service wasn't that long ago, two months max, is it likely to have dropped dramatically since then? or could it have been missed?

I may well ask Lexus to flush and replace at the 60k service anyway- to be certain.

If you think the PAS oil level has dropped, where's the oil 'GONE' as it doesn't evaperate and it's sealed system and the levels on the canister are for Cold and Hot for expansion,

The question you should be asking is 'where has the missing oil gone'???,

If you have no visable leaks, then check the steering rack 'Boots' because if the seals on the steering link arms are leaking the PAS fuild will build up inside the boots and when you least expect it, you will turn the steering and hay presto, oil leaking out. This normally happens when your in a rush and need to be some where in hurry.

Power steering pump failed in my altezza af ew months ago..Steering got extremely heavy all of a sudden..if the car was revved high, the steering was fine..

my local lexus dealer pressure tested the pump and found that the pressure was low.....They told me that the pump had run low on power steering fluid at one stage...

It cost 345 pounds plus VAT to replace......

Power steering pump failed in my altezza af ew months ago..Steering got extremely heavy all of a sudden..if the car was revved high, the steering was fine..

my local lexus dealer pressure tested the pump and found that the pressure was low.....They told me that the pump had run low on power steering fluid at one stage...

It cost 345 pounds plus VAT to replace......

You should have said... i have a perfectly good one here, just collecting dust!!

I seem to be experiencing something similar.

When cold or standing the steering bounces rather than turn smoothly. The bouncing stops at almost full lock then it is just plain stiff. Both fluid level and colour are fine so am I looking at a knackered pump or slipping belt?

Cheers

Did anyone experiencing these problems ever get a resolution.?? My Steering is heavy too..!

1) Fluid = OK

2) Belt tension = OK

3) Tyre Pressures = OK

Steering seems heavy and does not center itself as it should.

Help Please.!!!

Do you have standard wheels on the car?

Did anyone experiencing these problems ever get a resolution.?? My Steering is heavy too..!

1) Fluid = OK

2) Belt tension = OK

3) Tyre Pressures = OK

Help Please.!!!

wheel alignment ;)

1) Fluid = OK

2) Belt tension = OK

3) Tyre Pressures = OK

Help Please.!!!

Do you have standard wheels on the car?

Yep... Standard 17" wheels. I'll get the tracking checked in the meantime

a similar thing happened on my wifes old Fiesta. That turned out to be the Steering column UV joint. Replaced this and all was fine.

The easiest way to tell is to spray it up with WD40 then have a go, if its better, then replace (cheap) if not, don't!!

My car is in for some warranty work today at Lexus woodford ,Sat Nav and water pump. They have Loaned me a brand new Limited edition and i find the steering very light and reponsive compared to my IS200 (38K), it seems very heavy, Matt have you soughted out your promblem, let us know B) Cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links