Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Love my Lexus is200 but want more out of it

Wingnut150

Hi there 

Was wondering is it worth putting a turo or supercharged my 03 2l is200 or is there a cheap engine and swap that I could do that's with out changing to much stuff like mounts exctura.... 

Thanks if you can help

OK. Trade the car for IS300. Check in the flesh if IS300 auto is not enough for you. NEXT if you are really really stubborn for manual and a bit mechanic, pack into IS300 manual transmission W55, sourced from US market or some elder toyotas.

Might as Well get engine and transmission it' cheaper than car and then transmission... should be all the same mounting points?? 

Had my is200 for a while now and just want it a bit faster especially bottom end and wanted to do it myself learn more about engine's but don't want to break the bank with if you know what I mean 

The official Lexus TTE supercharger upgrade was very good, but hasn't been available for many years now. The odd one comes up on eBay now and again for around £2k. There is a second hand one currently on there complete with the piggyback ECU which you need. Worth keeping in mind that you may need to get it reconditioned though so don't go too crazy with the bids 🙂

17 hours ago, Wingnut150 said:

Had my is200 for a while now and just want it a bit faster especially bottom end and wanted to do it myself learn more about engine's but don't want to break the bank with if you know what I mean  

Yeah, but IMHO it is like learning wrong skills on wrong examples. Why do you insist on stick tranny? Are you really think your IS200 manual after your budget "upgrade" will beat on the road stock IS300 auto? IMHO it is not gonna happen. OK, with presumption you don't like IS200 dragster-type (throw away all excess weight and rebuilding everything from engine to wheels after every race).

I may suggest find any IS300 in classifieds in your area, test drive, judge if it has enough "bottom end" etc. Next think if ****ing on the stick is worth all this effort and money you will bin on any IS200 upgrade, rationalised by "I learn myself" - compared to ready made and bulletproof IS300 solution with 50HP and 90Nm more.

IMHO after my personal and many friends experience on "budget upgrades", "I want a few HP more", " I need a better bottom end", etc etc and lack of money masked with "I like DIY", "I learn myself" there is only one way to make any sense with upgrades of stock "weaker" cars ("weaker" means there is ready made more powerful "sister", IS300 vs. IS200, GS430 vs.GS300, ford cosworth vs. ford normal, etc etc). Recipe is: aim MUCH higher than powerful "sisters", proper budget, some skills, a LOT of persistence. So IMHO ugrade like this famous IS 1gen with corvette engine and manual is madness in every sense, but it is OK. Drop into IS any supras/aristo pack with 2JZ-GTE etc, is insanely complex and expensive, but if you like naked power (and turbos), OK. But upgrade of stock IS200 with lo-turbo for +50HP, or similar solution barely equal to IS300, is waste of time and resources.

2 hours ago, noby76 said:

or replace the is200 with a manual IS250 might work out cheaper and less hassle than trying to source the supercharge kit  for IS200.. 

2.5l V6 from IS250 is same power and less torq compare to elder inline GS/IS300, or am I wrong?

The official Lexus TTE supercharger upgrade was very good, but hasn't been available for many years now. The odd one comes up on eBay now and again for around £2k. There is a second hand one currently on there complete with the piggyback ECU which you need. Worth keeping in mind that you may need to get it reconditioned though so don't go too crazy with the bids [emoji846]

Ditto this. Easy DIY job. Increase won’t blow your socks off, but will make a decent difference over stock.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben01 said:

2.5l V6 from IS250 is same power and less torq compare to elder inline GS/IS300, or am I wrong?

Yes less torque on paper but other factors like dual vvti, direct injection and gearing has made it very close in terms of performance between GEN1 IS300 and GEN2 IS250 which translates to similar 0-60 times and top end.. 

also, IS300 power and torque rating used the older system of measuring power whereas the IS250 uses the newer system of measuring power.. i read somewhere the 250 would have around 210-215 if the older system was used.

1 hour ago, noby76 said:

made it very close in terms of performance between GEN1 IS300 and GEN2 IS250

So what is the point to swap like this? IMHO if powerpack swap does not improve power or torque, let's say 50%, or reliability 3 times, it is not an upgrade, it is "engineering exercise in insanity".

1 hour ago, Ben01 said:

So what is the point to swap like this? IMHO if powerpack swap does not improve power or torque, let's say 50%, or reliability 3 times, it is not an upgrade, it is "engineering exercise in insanity".

You cannot get an IS300 with manual transmission in the UK. The comment was to sell the IS200 and get an IS250.

IMO I wouldn't do this. The IS200/300 has an excellent chassis, the series II is a completely different drive.

13 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

The comment was to sell the IS200 and get an IS250.

Sorry, I have fixed on "engine swap" theme. And IMHO you right, to trade IS 1gen for IS250 is maybe not insane as to swap their engines, but a bit dull and PX like this (and in this case) is same as "break the bank" probably.

5 hours ago, TigerFish said:

Ditto this. Easy DIY job. Increase won’t blow your socks off, but will make a decent difference over stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would also go down that route if you can afford the initial outlay . I bought TRD supercharger kit for exactly 2k , had it fitted in my car for about 40k miles then removed it and sold the kit for £1950 and that was only because it needed a new spring that cost approx £50 . Make sure you keep all the stock parts so that you can return to standard. Best value mod I ever did !  I was actually not that impressed with the increased performance but the sound was awesome . 

some people just make you laugh,no amount of persuading,commonsense would make any difference, just let them do whatever 🙄 they want to do once they are hell bent on it lol 😁 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links