Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is this service plan cost reasonable?

We decided that we would arrange an extended warranty for our RX450h, to start from February next year when this one (given to us by the dealer when we bought the car) expires. As you'll be aware, one of the conditions of having an extended warranty is that the car must also be serviced by Lexus.

I know that Lexus is a luxury brand but I just wasn't ready for servicing costs like this. Although I've always had top of the range cars, they've always been at least 10 years old and I'm used to having them serviced either by a mate of mine at mates rates (full service on my old RX300 about £50 plus parts), or a trusted indy at slightly more than mates rates - just looking at this service plan quotation has just made my pucker valve cry out in fear!

I admit I've LED a sheltered life up to now but I'm so stunned I just have to ask - do the figures seem reasonable? This is from Lexus Teeside for a 63-plate RX450h with 39,800 on the clock (she got the mileage figure wrong) and I know they participate in the Club discount scheme so I mentioned it to her and I believe that these figures do include that discount.

Also, I've always known items such as coolant change and pollen filter to be part of the service, not charged extra for. And I can get an MOT for £29 locally!

service plan.PNG

service plan 1.PNG

Edited by Herbie
Made a typo - should have said £50 plus parts, not £80.

As your car will be 5 years old you should consider Lexus Essential Care, i think that will keep the costs down. The big service is the 6 years / 60000 miles and I think that's been included. That should keep the warranty happy. I've enclosed a screenshot of Lexus Essential Care.

The calculation they use is slightly misleading, over 3 years it's circa £32 a month, not bad for the care and standards they use. Glasgow Lexus certainly doesn't charge for valet and washing. Pollen Filter is so simple it's untrue, and filters for less than £10 on eBay

Certainly not as cheap as your indie however necessary for warranty. I did the same as you, 3 years warranty and I took the service plan. 

You should see what Audi charge for servicing in Glasgow btw.

Enjoy your new steed.

Ed

Lexus RX Essential Care.JPG

• Like 1

The main one is the 60k with the spark plug change, hence why the price is quite high.

But yes, Lexus essential care seems to do the main things anyway but not the spark plug change but I think that is about £200. 

Essential Care is a slightly reduced service though. Worth keeping in mind. And my dealer offer the club discount on "proper" servicing but not Essential Care.

Just to make your head spin a bit more :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

It makes me wonder how many people who take out these extended warranties actually end up claiming on them and what the value of the claims is given that Lexus is arguably the most reliable brand out there.  You also have to pay dealer rates for servicing and some also to find a whole heap of things wrong with your car that are not covered under the warranty due to wear and tear which they will gladly sort out for you for grossly inflated prices but you can't take it elsewhere because you'll invalidate the warranty.

Not all dealers will behave in this way but by taking out the extended warranty you are giving them the opportunity.  That's my take on it anyway.  I would rather save the money from the warranty, save the money on servicing and not have my car used as a cash cow.  Each to their own though.

33 minutes ago, Rutlandlex said:

It makes me wonder how many people who take out these extended warranties actually end up claiming on them and what the value of the claims is given that Lexus is arguably the most reliable brand out there.  You also have to pay dealer rates for servicing and some also to find a whole heap of things wrong with your car that are not covered under the warranty due to wear and tear which they will gladly sort out for you for grossly inflated prices but you can't take it elsewhere because you'll invalidate the warranty.

Not all dealers will behave in this way but by taking out the extended warranty you are giving them the opportunity.  That's my take on it anyway.  I would rather save the money from the warranty, save the money on servicing and not have my car used as a cash cow.  Each to their own though.

It's a very good point and one I have also wrestled with. I think it depends heavily on age and which model lexus. It's a gamble no doubt.

9 hours ago, Comedian said:

It's a very good point and one I have also wrestled with. I think it depends heavily on age and which model lexus

That's exactly it.

I've never had a car new enough to bother about a warranty before and I've certainly never had such a complex car before. It's five years old but looks and drives like it's brand new so if anything goes faulty then I think it's early enough in its life to warrant new parts, hence deciding on a warranty. As it gets older then parts from a breakers yard will suffice and my mate who's been a fully qualified mechanic for more than 30 years will be happy to do the work needed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links