BMJD

Tyre Pressure Warning

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Hadrian said:

I stand to be corrected, but I believe the TPMS is activated once the tyre pressure falls below 25% of the calibrated pressure.

So if that is 35-36psi, a pressure of 25psi means it wont reset. ( allowing for a bit of error) This is what I found when I had a slow puncture...

That sounds sensible to me. The one time the TPMS activated the pressure in the one tyre was around 25psi when I checked it. Never had it go off since then for just a few psi down in pressure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

1 hour ago, Hadrian said:

I stand to be corrected, but I believe the TPMS is activated once the tyre pressure falls below 25% of the calibrated pressure.

So if that is 35-36psi, a pressure of 25psi means it wont reset. ( allowing for a bit of error) This is what I found when I had a slow puncture...

Apologies for my stupidity, I did the tyre pressure on 25 , when I now see it should be 36 ! Just popped down to Kwakiutl fit and they kindly pumped them all up to the correct pressure , reset , and now all fine !!! 

But in my defence , where you open driver door and look for pressure guide it has 2.5. 250 , no mention of 36 !!??

thanks everyone, these Forums are invaluable as I have learnt in the past using Jaguar forum and Ramge Rover forum 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

Apologies for my stupidity, I did the tyre pressure on 25 , when I now see it should be 36 ! Just popped down to Kwakiutl fit and they kindly pumped them all up to the correct pressure , reset , and now all fine !!! 

But in my defence , where you open driver door and look for pressure guide it has 2.5. 250 , no mention of 36 !!??

thanks everyone, these Forums are invaluable as I have learnt in the past using Jaguar forum and Ramge Rover forum 👍

The figure of 2.5 quoted on the door pillar is in BAR not PSI  to convert multiply X 14.7. (2.5 X 14.7 = 36.75 PSI), but it should also be marked in PSI anyway.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Britprius said:

The figure of 2.5 quoted on the door pillar is in BAR not PSI  to convert multiply X 14.7. (2.5 X 14.7 = 36.75 PSI), but it should also be marked in PSI anyway.

John

Only marked in KPa and bar on the door pillar so I can see where the confusion may come from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

Apologies for my stupidity, I did the tyre pressure on 25 , when I now see it should be 36 ! Just popped down to Kwakiutl fit and they kindly pumped them all up to the correct pressure , reset , and now all fine !!! 

But in my defence , where you open driver door and look for pressure guide it has 2.5. 250 , no mention of 36 !!??

thanks everyone, these Forums are invaluable as I have learnt in the past using Jaguar forum and Ramge Rover forum 👍

Glad you're at 36 psi (2.5 bar) now - at the pressures you were at I would have thought it was verging on dangerous - at best must have been soggy handling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Glad you're at 36 psi (2.5 bar) now - at the pressures you were at I would have thought it was verging on dangerous - at best must have been soggy handling. 

The funny thing is , the tyre s looked ok at 25. ! , you would think they would look a bit soft ?, ! .;

 

when i drove back from Kwik Fit the steering and ride felt so much better 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

The funny thing is , the tyre s looked ok at 25. ! , you would think they would look a bit soft ?, ! .;

 

when i drove back from Kwik Fit the steering and ride felt so much better 👍

If the tyres were warm when inflated (assuming normal low speed journey) they will have been reading about 3 psi high in my experience and so if they were inflated to 36 psi they may actually be at approx 33 psi. Worth getting a good hand held tyre pressure gauge (they aren't too expensive) to check them now and again - some tyres don't look like they are low pressure even when they are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The figures quoted on the door need a bit of working out.  They do seem to be rather over complicated.

Or perhaps it's just me 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just changed to Michelin cross climates and thought what a comfortable ride, ignoring the TPMS warning light despite reset attempts.  Will settle down the supplier said.  But I checked  at home and found all tyres set at 29psi.  Goodness knows why.  Use my foot pump to correct to 36psi and bingo, warning light off.  Message for me is not to ignore the warning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigChange said:

Just changed to Michelin cross climates

How do they compare to your previous tyres?

Are they still more comfortable than the previous tyres when you have them at 36 psi?

Are they quieter or noisier?

I'd like to work out which are the quietest tyres but it's hard to find out when tyres are changed so infrequently. On first impressions, would you buy these again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

William, only put them on Friday afternoon and have hardly driven since.   Will follow up with fuller response after one week's use.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

William, have done more miles than anticipated and can make some informed comments.  The miles cover awful country lanes, uneven and broken local roads and the M4 motorway.  Replaced tyres were - rear Yokahama (originals) at 38,000 - front Dunlop Sport Maxx at 20,000miles.  Fronts did not need replacing but decided to bite on the (cost) bullet and do all four.

·        First impressions are good.  The car rides more comfortably, what you might expect from ‘normal’ tyres and not the low-profile harder ride.  Tyres seem to smooth out road unevenness and imperfections.

·        Noise level is slightly reduced – hum rather than roar and a comforting swish when driving through snow melt wet roads.

·        snow use was limited but excellent and this will be further tested in France at month end.

·        Cornering and braking appear to be much the same although I do not push the limit.

Maybe imagined but I do feel as though I am in “safe hands”.  Certainly don’t regret the change or the slightly higher cost.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, BigChange said:

William, have done more miles than anticipated and can make some informed comments.  The miles cover awful country lanes, uneven and broken local roads and the M4 motorway.  Replaced tyres were - rear Yokahama (originals) at 38,000 - front Dunlop Sport Maxx at 20,000miles.  Fronts did not need replacing but decided to bite on the (cost) bullet and do all four.

·        First impressions are good.  The car rides more comfortably, what you might expect from ‘normal’ tyres and not the low-profile harder ride.  Tyres seem to smooth out road unevenness and imperfections.

·        Noise level is slightly reduced – hum rather than roar and a comforting swish when driving through snow melt wet roads.

·        snow use was limited but excellent and this will be further tested in France at month end.

·        Cornering and braking appear to be much the same although I do not push the limit.

Maybe imagined but I do feel as though I am in “safe hands”.  Certainly don’t regret the change or the slightly higher cost.

Many thanks for the helpful comments. My car already had Michelin Cross-Climate fitted when bought so I've had nothing to compare them to. But they seem comfortable and quiet. They seem to wear well too. I think they've done about 25,000 miles and are still on 4-5 mm. I'm inclined to stick to the same when they need changing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick update, I hadn't had any further warning lights since December 26th. Weather conditions since then have ranged from snow, ice,  -10°c - +15°c....🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now