KWCT200h

Which suitable 12v battery brand for replacement

Hi all, 

I will need to replace my 12v Battery very soon and I have no clues of which model or brand to get? 

There are so many out there in the market, I am just looking for something which is cost effective but last !

Any recommendations on Battery model and brand would be appreciated. 

Thanks

I don't think brand is too important but you should get an AGM one, for safety reasons and so that can stand up to deep cycling better than standard flooded batteries which is important on a hybrid.

These don't tend to last more that 5 years so others hopefully can give you their brand recommendations.

Hi Mark, 

Thanks for your reply. 

In the region of £150, would that get me a descent Battery that would last for 5years plus? 

The Yuassa battery’s CCA is 325, can you get a batteries which has much powerful CCA? 

Also does it need a start stop batteries feature in the CT200h? 

Many Thanks

K

i have just found another Battery this time from euro carparts

it is £269.99 then use code MID60 and the cost is then £148.49

i am sure there is a euro carparts near you.

ct battery.jpg

Hi Mark,  

Many thanks for your reply. 

Just wondering if this batteries I found is the same one as you first recommended? 

2D66E7CB-7032-4DE6-A795-93AFEA520831.png

as long as they are AGM batteries (absorbed glass mat) then they should be the same.

That’s way too expensive for a car Battery. I had to replace my Battery and went to the dealership and they charged me £125 with a 5 year warranty. Furthermore this is OEM. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, holiday said:

That’s way too expensive for a car Battery. I had to replace my Battery and went to the dealership and they charged me £125 with a 5 year warranty. Furthermore this is OEM. 

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/lexus-essential-care/ this the link for the car batter 

Exide make an AGM Battery of the correct size with the correct size and layout of terminals. They are sold under the title of "Exide Edge". 
The cranking amps do not matter with a hybrid since the Battery is not used for cranking the engine. Virtually all batteries of the physical size of that fitted in the CT200H have a 45 amp hour capacity, and it is the AH capacity that matters for hybrid vehicles.
There is however a Battery that will fit is an AGM and has a capacity of over 60 AH. The down side is that it comes with different terminals to the standard post type. This however is not really a problem.

The Battery I refer to is made for mobility scooters from a number of manufacturers including Lucas, and are priced at circa £100. I used one in my Prius "the CT is a Prius in different clothes"

Normal car batteries of the same size can be fitted without problems, and are available for circa £45. The difference is that they contain more liquid acid than an AGM Battery. So if the Battery is damaged in an accident there is the remote possibility of rear seat passengers being splashed with dilute acid because the Battery is carried under the floor of the boot.
AGM stands for "absorbed glass mat" where the liquid acid is held in a 90% saturated mat between the plates rather like a sponge so there is little chance of acid escape. 
The downside of AGM batteries is that they can dry out faster than "flooded standard car batteries" because they have no reserves of liquid acid as does standard car batteries.

John.

• Like 1

Do you need to program the Battery with hybrid system once you change it or just change and go?

I replaced mine last November at Lexus Birmingham they fitted a AGM Toyota branded one, which looking at the number could be Yuasa made, and is a higher AH than the original. They fitted it, set it up and disposed of the old one for a total price of £95 inc Vat and was a good £50 cheaper than I could find for supply only online. Of course having a service plan entitles you to 10% discount on all spares, labour costs and accessories, don't forget to ask for it if you are on a plan.

thumbnail_20190126_115654.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Poundy said:

I replaced mine last November at Lexus Birmingham they fitted a AGM Toyota branded one, which looking at the number could be Yuasa made, and is a higher AH than the original. They fitted it, set it up and disposed of the old one for a total price of £95 inc Vat and was a good £50 cheaper than I could find for supply only online. Of course having a service plan entitles you to 10% discount on all spares, labour costs and accessories, don't forget to ask for it if you are on a plan.

thumbnail_20190126_115654.jpg

That Battery is still only 45 AH as said in my earlier post. This is fine for a car that is in regular use, but as the Battery ages, and looses some capacity can become problematic if the car is left for a couple of weeks unused perhaps because it is a second car or is left at an airport while the owner is away.
A Battery is considered deeply discharged at 50% of it's rated capacity, and actual damage can be caused by discharging further.

John.

3 hours ago, Britprius said:

That battery is still only 45 AH as said in my earlier post. This is fine for a car that is in regular use, but as the battery ages, and looses some capacity can become problematic if the car is left for a couple of weeks unused perhaps because it is a second car or is left at an airport while the owner is away.
A battery is considered deeply discharged at 50% of it's rated capacity, and actual damage can be caused by discharging further.

John.

In all fairness John as you posted before, the Battery has little demand on it and as long as the dash lights up the car should run, no starter motor or excessive drain items. Our Ct200h did less than 2k last year but we never had any no start issues. I do have a comfort lead fitted so that I can connect my C-Tek smart charger if it looks like it will stay unused for extended periods though only used rarely 🙂 I also have a Tacklife T8 max if things get really bad lol!