Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Back Door (Tailgate) not working on 2010 (Series 3) RX450h

1 hour ago, RX450HPrem said:

None Taken Herbie, Are you saying the motor won't lift the Tail gate if there are not struts ?

I was thinking it would take out a potential part of the problem with a little help from your hand and see if its a strut issue ?

Paul

I know that the struts do most of the heavy lifting and they keep it up there once it's open. They also make sure it's a controlled descent rather than just whacking you upside the head. Given that, I'd say that no, the motor alone won't open the tailgate but I'm not 100% sure, but the main problem is that the tailgate wouldn't rise equally on both sides if one strut was taken out.

• Like 1

Peter 

I think your right from about 2016 - RX450H Up to 2015 Motor in roof after that I think its motorised struts ?

Ive been having a look as to replace the former roof motor is about £800 but struts are around £200-300. 😞

someone in Lexus must have had a brain wave !

23 minutes ago, RX450HPrem said:

Peter 

I think your right from about 2016 - RX450H Up to 2015 Motor in roof after that I think its motorised struts ?

Ive been having a look as to replace the former roof motor is about £800 but struts are around £200-300. 😞

someone in Lexus must have had a brain wave !

Take a look at SGS Derby 👍

• Thanks 1

Hi Herbie. I have the same issue as described above, power back door not working, rear compartment lights not working either, RX450h 2010. Could you send the info to me please ?

1 hour ago, jarvo456 said:

Hi Herbie. I have the same issue as described above, power back door not working, rear compartment lights not working either, RX450h 2010. Could you send the info to me please ?

PM sent to you Stephen.

New member here, been following this thread for a month or so now, and thought I'd chip in with my adventure with this issue.

Like so many others, my power back door (RX450h, 2010) decided to suddenly stop working - on Christmas Day, of all days!  Nothing worked - door catch, dash switch, remote fob, nothing.  Found this forum, checked/tried all the various suggestions to try to fix, no joy so looked like the only solution was motor/ECU unit replacement.  I needed a fix soonest as my better half uses a mobility scooter, which is regularly carried in the rear boot area (dismantled), and so she's immobile without it!

As it happens, car was booked into Lexus garage for MOT last week anyway, so as I couldn't afford to wait any length of time I bit the bullet and asked them to investigate and fix the back door issue at the same time.

However, a heads up for anyone else in this situation - I was informed that they were unable to start the MOT if ANY door/boot/tailgate/whatever is unable to open.  Something to do with full access being necessary - even showed me a gov.uk document (I think) indicating this fact.  And, of course, this included the back door.  I didn't know this?! 

End result - MOT was scrapped, car re-booked in again for yesterday to firstly have power door fixed, then they could continue to do MOT.  So, all's well that ends well, but I wish I'd been aware of the MOT thing before, I could have arranged the repair beforehand and saved myself a wasted 1st visit!

So - if you have an MOT due soon, get power back door fixed first!

• Like 1

Oh Gosh ! that's a shame seems like there is a pattern to these failures and the cost owners are paying the Lexus dealers to fix the issue seems excessive.

I have found two places where we can get these motors for far cheaper cost Approx £600, and fitting is not that hard.

At least yours is fixed now like many of us. 🙂 

Just had mine back from Lexus with this fault.  Low mileage 2014 F Sport.  Transpired as motor unit failure.  Replaced free under warranty and all's good again.  It's not an uncommon problem but the Lexus Extend warranty has it covered for those servicing with Lexus dealers.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 11:57 AM, Herbie said:

Herbie

Hi Herbie,

I am joining this recent and long thread about failed PBD motors. If you can forward me your notes I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Symptoms, inside and outside buttons don't do anything, no beeps. Have to open boot from inside.

I am suspecting my motor has failed due do dampness causing corrosion on the PCB. I found 5mm of water in my Battery compartment yesterday, it had to come from somewhere. Carpets dry. when I purchased the car a couple of years ago I fitted roof bars from LPD. I did not use any sealer, perhaps that was required and dampness has penetrated the bolt holes. I will have to investigate.

Another observation is that gas struts have been weakening and I am wondering if that has put a stress on the motor.  12V batter is new and in good shape.

I am contemplating getting a 68910-48023  unit from the USA 400 USD and paying the VAT/Duty. Is the unit very heavy ? 

My daughter lives in the US so could post it. 

https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/lexus-2010-2013-lexus-tailgate-pull-down-motor-689100e024?c=cT02ODkxMC00ODAyMw%3D%3D

Thanks

Dave

7 hours ago, Dave450h said:

Hi Herbie,

I am joining this recent and long thread about failed PBD motors. If you can forward me your notes I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Symptoms, inside and outside buttons don't do anything, no beeps. Have to open boot from inside.

I am suspecting my motor has failed due do dampness causing corrosion on the PCB. I found 5mm of water in my battery compartment yesterday, it had to come from somewhere. Carpets dry. when I purchased the car a couple of years ago I fitted roof bars from LPD. I did not use any sealer, perhaps that was required and dampness has penetrated the bolt holes. I will have to investigate.

Another observation is that gas struts have been weakening and I am wondering if that has put a stress on the motor.  12V batter is new and in good shape.

I am contemplating getting a 68910-48023  unit from the USA 400 USD and paying the VAT/Duty. Is the unit very heavy ? 

https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/lexus-2010-2013-lexus-tailgate-pull-down-motor-689100e024?c=cT02ODkxMC00ODAyMw%3D%3D

Thanks

Dave

I can lock and unlock the car using the under number plate  button but I cant open the tailgate using these buttons

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave450h said:

Hi Herbie,

I am suspecting my motor has failed due do dampness causing corrosion on the PCB. I found 5mm of water in my battery compartment yesterday, it had to come from somewhere. Carpets dry. when I purchased the car a couple of years ago I fitted roof bars from LPD. I did not use any sealer, perhaps that was required and dampness has penetrated the bolt holes. I will have to investigate.

Thanks

Dave

PM just sent to you Dave.

22 hours ago, RX450HPrem said:

Dave Unit  is about 4kg - just weighed my old one !

Hi thanks for that, could you provide me with the dimensions of the unit roughly in CM, I just need to make sure my daughter will be able to post it from the US

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simon Drew said:

@Herbie

Would it be possible to share the information you mentioned in this post please? Having the exact same problem and have tried everything mentioned here.

Thanks in advance

PM just sent Simon.

I recently changed the 12v Battery in my 2007 RX400 and the rear door would not open from the internal button or manually. It was a very quick simple fix to reset it.

Lock the car at the drivers door using the key, remove the key from the lock for a few seconds. Open the car with the key at the drivers door, leave the key in the lock and a couple of seconds later turn the key to again open (the already open) the car. The rear door can now be opened manually and once closed will also work from the internal button.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 10:04 PM, RX450HPrem said:

John let us know if they fit and fix your issue 

Thanks 

Paul

Hi Paul

I received the struts on Friday and decided to fit them this morning. It took me about 10 minutes in total and lo and behold, the tailgate now operates normally. It seems that I've been lucky in that the problem was the struts and not the motor. I'm not counting my chickens though, so I'll let you know in a couple of months time if they are still working. 

• Like 1

Hi, I'm a little late to this party - but a very interesting thread.  I've had my Battery replaced at a local garage, and since then, the boot cannot be opened, manually or automatically.  Its gone back to the garage but they are struggling to find any reason for it - found no obvious electric faults.   Interested to read about this happening to some people in the cold/damp.  In the three weeks or so before we had the Battery changed, the heater broke (coolant leak - now fixed) and I noticed a lot of condensation forming on the inside of the car.  I'm wondering if this has LED to the problem.  It seems that for a few people, this issue rectified itself when the weather improved. 

Herbie, if you still have the information that pertains to this issue  - I'd be grateful to have a look.  I might get my car back this weekend and warm it up for a good while and see if that does anything.  

Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philh3333 said:

Hi, I'm a little late to this party - but a very interesting thread.  I've had my battery replaced at a local garage, and since then, the boot cannot be opened, manually or automatically.  Its gone back to the garage but they are struggling to find any reason for it - found no obvious electric faults.   Interested to read about this happening to some people in the cold/damp.  In the three weeks or so before we had the battery changed, the heater broke (coolant leak - now fixed) and I noticed a lot of condensation forming on the inside of the car.  I'm wondering if this has led to the problem.  It seems that for a few people, this issue rectified itself when the weather improved. 

Herbie, if you still have the information that pertains to this issue  - I'd be grateful to have a look.  I might get my car back this weekend and warm it up for a good while and see if that does anything.  

Thanks.

There is a simple reset procedure. Sorry I can't remember as the Lexus dealer did it when I had a new Battery fitted. The rear hatch would not open, even manually. It is a procedure involving the key fob. If you phoned a Lexus dealer I am sure they would be able to give you the sequence.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links