Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Android / Apple Carplay

Hi Tom, the update isn't covered under warranty ( states that in the Tech notes you get with the update).  Once the dust has settled, I'll take up the matter with Lexus as I followed the instructions to the letter and I've been in IT for over 40 years - this wasn't my first Rodeo!  The new unit will have Carplay.

Mine is in the dealer today to get done. Also £80, but courtesy car free. Was also in yesterday and will be in tomorrow...!

it’s the first one they have done (Croydon) but 3 days seems a bit long! Apparently it’s going well, just slow.

if it goes wrong, it screws the whole interface system and would cost them £5.5k to fix, they say, so they are taking their time....

11 minutes ago, Paulaus said:

Mine is in the dealer today to get done. Also £80, but courtesy car free. Was also in yesterday and will be in tomorrow...!

it’s the first one they have done (Croydon) but 3 days seems a bit long! Apparently it’s going well, just slow.

if it goes wrong, it screws the whole interface system and would cost them £5.5k to fix, they say, so they are taking their time....

Blimey that is the true definition of long 🙂 Mine in Monday, and just for the day at the moment

21 minutes ago, sumospim said:

and just for the day at the moment

that's what they told me....  

5hrs they said

back by lunch time they said

just not which day!  Telling me to plan to pick up Saturday; went in Wednesday

14 minutes ago, Paulaus said:

that's what they told me....  

5hrs they said

back by lunch time they said

just not which day!  Telling me to plan to pick up Saturday; went in Wednesday

Wow, to be honest as long as they know they won't get their courtesy car back until i get mine, that's cool 🙂

All, Got mine back yesterday.  They replaced the DCU (Display Control unit ) in the end and not the whole system, as I'm managed to do half of the upgrade!  I can confirm that HUD will not display Waze, Google Maps or apple Map directions.  As already stated on here, it simply "mirroring" the display.   Was it worth the hassle, definitely.

Assume you connect your phone to the USB under your arm rest then apple Play appears on the screen or you go to the App Screen & select from there.?

Secondly you say HEY SIRI to activate other needs if you need to?

Please confirm

Tel

Finally finished, 3 days later!  On the plus side, they gave it to me free, so happy with that. 

As others said, HUD doesn’t work. Connected to USB cable and CarPlay icon appears in main menu.

original Lexus maps etc still all there. 

no need to say Hey Siri - you press the voice button on wheel instead

3 minutes ago, Paulaus said:

Finally finished, 3 days later!  On the plus side, they gave it to me free, so happy with that. 

As others said, HUD doesn’t work. Connected to USB cable and CarPlay icon appears in main menu.

original Lexus maps etc still all there. 

The HUD was never going to work with CarPlay as the Lexus software needs to be rewritten to allow multi displays.  It’s probably not very high on their agenda given they’re still trying to roll out CarPlay to other models. No manufacturer, as far as I know, have implemented it yet but it’ll likely be either BMW or Audi first to do it.

For now, I’ll use the native nav whilst navigating so I can keep the HUD and use CarPlay for music and messages.

Does Hey Siri work to take you to your music ?

If you set your Nav to a destination then launch your apple Nav to route to the same destination surely the Info/HUD combo works ?

Tel

Siri does work, but by pressing the speak control button, not by saying “Hey Siri”.  

I’ve used it for one longish route, but it was totally different from the route the Lexus sat nav uses, so you would have the map saying one thing and the hud another. 

apple map on the car also talks to apple Watch, so you get the time to turn vibrations on the watch. 

15 hours ago, Habu said:

For now, I’ll use the native nav whilst navigating so I can keep the HUD and use CarPlay for music and messages.

You may as well not bother with the update, then, as you can already play music from phone on Bluetooth and send messages using Siri from the phone assist (press and hold phone button) without the upgrade. 

apple maps / google maps / Waze are so much better than the Lexus sat nav - the loss of HUD is worth it imo 

56 minutes ago, Paulaus said:

You may as well not bother with the update, then, as you can already play music from phone on Bluetooth and send messages using Siri from the phone assist (press and hold phone button) without the upgrade. 

Apple maps / google maps / Waze are so much better than the Lexus sat nav - the loss of HUD is worth it imo 

I’m changing my car today which has CarPlay built in but I would still have upgraded my ES if I’ve kept it.  I prefer to see the music how it’s laid out as it is on my phone (apple Music) and it’s certainly easier asking for music through CarPlay than the native Lexus system which forever says “pardon” or plays something entirely different.  
I know what you mean about losing the HUD in favour of a different nav system.  My wife’s last two cars have had CarPlay and a HUD and I sometimes favour, when driving her car Apple Maps’ clearer, brighter experience and accept losing the HUD directions.

Paul,

In my experience,with APC in my wife's Aygo,  the difference in Routes is minimal & so to know you can run them in parallel is great news for me.

The Maps on APC are the clearest on the Market & I assume Siri warns you of the Fixed Speed Cameras

I never use my apple Watch in the Aygo as on a long journey the Battery can be consumed.

Terry 

These are the routes home from Lexus Croydon.  The red is Lexus Sat NAV route. Blue was Car Play.  Car Play was longer, but avoids a load of traffic.

im not even sure if you can do Lexus NAV on hud while car play is running. “Lexus” is like an app on ACP screen, but when you click it it seem to exit ACP and go back to normal Lexus UI. I didn’t try running a route in Lexus then sticking ACP on to see what happens.  I guess in most cases, the Lexus NAV on hud will be generally the same, but rerouting for traffic will be better on ACP running either waze, Maps or Google maps. I’ll try it out to see

F6A3E8A2-4953-4114-97C2-FF2A8D529C5C.jpeg

On 11/12/2020 at 4:52 PM, sumospim said:

Wow, to be honest as long as they know they won't get their courtesy car back until i get mine, that's cool 🙂

Well all done and very quick and efficient, actually less than a couple of hours, which makes some of the other installation lengths seem odd 🙂

Had a quick play around and it seems to work seamlessly and like trying the other navigation possibilities.

One thing that might end up frustrating me is having to plug into USB every time, so has anyone got any reasonably priced solutions?

Just thought...I have a wireless charging pad in my UX, wonder if that will work?

I have got a 6 inch USB cable to facilitate my connection ( when installed) & when using ACP your phone Battery will be charged.

You cannot avoid plugging-in your phone.

Tel

On 11/14/2020 at 7:58 AM, Tel said:

If you set your Nav to a destination then launch your Apple Nav to route to the same destination surely the Info/HUD combo works ?

I checked this today, and no - it doesn't.  If you set up Lexus Nav to a route, the info/HUD works as usual.  It stays there when you connect to ACP and open maps and even get a route displayed.  But as soon as you press Go, the info/HUD disappears.  Going the opposite way loses ACP.

So it seems you can have only 1 nav operating at a time and cannot have ACP on main screen plus Lexus nav on HUD.

Has anyone with the upgrade had issues with using other apps while Maps is active?

BBC sounds, messages etc work fine in the car when there is no active navigation.  But as soon as a route is selected, it appears as a sticky and won't really allow access to other apps (for example to change music) unless the route is cancelled.  This is the case whether driving (which I can understand to an extent) or static (which I can't).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links