Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice please - to buy or wait

Hi All

Needed some advice, test drove a IS300H (2013) Premier from a Lexus dealer, really liked the car, its priced pretty well at £14,300 with circa 62k miles on the clock, mostly Lexus history, 2 services were at Toyota however but I'm guessing thats fine as they are still selling it as approved used.

My car they are offering £2k to lower then its worth as part exchange, my question is would you guys still go for it? tempted to sell privately on eBay but seems to be a lot of hassle, also there was a incident where a car was stolen from a colleague at work when he offered a test drive, I'm guessing thats a rare case but it has put me off trying to sell privately and dealing with members of the public.

I was going to look at giving it to BCA car auctions or similar but not sure if they are operating again for members of the public and I guess probably not worth it if i'll end up getting a similar amount of money.

The only reason i'm selling my car is its not ULEZ compliant and the zone expands end of next year, so i've got 2 options:

1. Use my car for another year as it works perfectly fine, probably cant depreciate much more i'm guessing but I am worried about the impact of ULEZ on prices, maybe the Lexus will be even cheaper in 6 months to a year?
  2. Buy it now and take the hit.

Going round in circles and I need to make a decision today / tomorrow morning so advice appreciated 🙂

You have to consider that there is always a retail and a trade valuation and a consequent price difference.

The chances are Lexus will put the car straight into auction so will effectively sell on at a trade price as opposed to sticking it on the forecourt where it would fetch more but then there is the expense of preparation.

You could try advertising it on Autotrader but you then have the hassle of viewings, tyre kickers, and it won’t be sold by the end of tomorrow.

Don’t bother with the likes of “We buy any Crap.com” I heard recently that during the lockdown they were offering 50% of “ book price” on a take it or leave it basis.

If you do decide to sell privately and offer a test drive make sure you stay with the car and ask to see proof of insurance.

Lexus will always charge a premium price, there is one on AT similar in mileage but over £15K

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007091047229?onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&make=LEXUS&sort=relevance&radius=1500&postcode=de551dg&advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2013&year-to=2013&model=IS 300&maximum-mileage=70000&page=1

• Thanks 1

Do it now and just take the hit, it could be worth a lot less as the ULEZ takes its toll.

Plus, you can do like I did - drive up in the old one and drive away in the new one, no hassle and all done and dusted in a very short space of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most dealers will give you a trade in price but allow you to sell privately before handover. Agree to purchase the vehicle, arrange a date in a few days time to collect the new car and in the meantime advertise on Autotrader slightly average private sale prices but above your trade in price. If a car is priced well you normally get calls within hours of a vehicle going up on the website.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to close off this thread going to paste a update I posted on another thread:

I've gone for a 63 plate (however year of manafacture says 2014 on HPI check?!) IS300H Premier approved used, the ride was fine on the 18" wheels, compared to my E class 17" wheels the ride is similar or even more comfortable on the Lexus so no issues there, on my 35min test drive I reset the trip meter and it shows 60mpg, this was on a mix of 60mph roads and local so that wasnt bad at all.

I've got just over a week to sell my car, otherwise it will be part ex at quite a low price, I'm thinking to just auction it on eBay, if anyone else has any other suggestions for a fast hassle free sale let me know 🙂

Thank you all for your responses in this thread, they helped make up my mind, looking forward to getting it!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links