Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

AC Compressor

BeauBelle

I have finally gotten my car full diagnosed for my AC issues and it turns out one of the pins for the compressor have completely rotten away so now I have to source a new AC compressor. Lexus Ireland have quoted my mechanic €2150 + VAT. Is there anywhere else I can source this? Just looking to see if there are cheaper options. Hoping to stick to brand new with some sort of warranty. Thanks!

Lexus CT200H 2012, imported from UK.

If it was a conventional car you may be lucky but as it's a hybrid I doubt very much that there will be any source for these other than the main Lexus dealers or a breakers yard for a used one.

Anything that would normally be driven by a belt, such as alternator, power steering and aircon compressor, has to be driven electrically on a hybrid car because the petrol engine doesn't run all the time. If I remember correctly, the aircon compressor is 500V variable frequency three phase AC, so I really can't see anyone else making them.

When you say "one of the pins" has rotted, I take it you mean one of the electrical connector pins - is there no chance of repairing it? Perhaps an auto electrical place that refurbishes and rebuilds alternators or a commercial place that rewinds motors?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Herbie said:

If it was a conventional car you may be lucky but as it's a hybrid I doubt very much that there will be any source for these other than the main Lexus dealers or a breakers yard for a used one.

Anything that would normally be driven by a belt, such as alternator, power steering and aircon compressor, has to be driven electrically on a hybrid car because the petrol engine doesn't run all the time. If I remember correctly, the aircon compressor is 500V variable frequency three phase AC, so I really can't see anyone else making them.

When you say "one of the pins" has rotted, I take it you mean one of the electrical connector pins - is there no chance of repairing it? Perhaps an auto electrical place that refurbishes and rebuilds alternators or a commercial place that rewinds motors?

I have posted this same query on an Irish forums and it seems that you guys have the same idea and they were even surprised that I was quoted for a new compressor for something that could be repaired by an auto electrician. I am posting pictures here for you guys to see the issue and please do let me know if you think it is possible to be repaired. Basically the pin had been eaten up by the connector that usually goes into the compressor connector.

I am now looking at possible reputable auto electricians. Thank you.

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-24 at 1.35.55 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-24 at 1.35.55 PM.jpeg

Just now, Herbie said:

Yep, I think that should be easy enough to repair. If it was mine I'd certainly tackle the job.

Sweet. Thank you very much. I hope I can find a reputable electrician here. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Have you checked with Toyota as this plug or even the pins may be available as parts. The same compressor is used on the Prius.

Denso the makers sell them new on eBay for under £650 delivered. Second hand units are available for £40 upwards, and you may be able to change the plugs over if you wish to keep using your own compressor.

John. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Britprius said:

Have you checked with Toyota as this plug or even the pins may be available as parts. The same compressor is used on the Prius.

Denso the makers sell them new on ebay for under £650 delivered. Second hand units are available for £40 upwards, and you may be able to change the plugs over if you wish to keep using your own compressor.

John. 

Found an online resource where it lists parts for Toyota/Lexus. Seems like the exact compressor for my car is the same on some Prius Plus models, but not any other Prius. The other thing I found on that site is that it doesn't list any other part within the compressor. It just says compressor assembly with motor. But it does list the one screw for the compressor. I don't think I'll be able to find the plug on its own.

I think maybe that price would be for the other Prius models? The model that I think is right for mine is coming for at least £1000 for me and that's without verifying if they are reputable sources. Although in saying that, it is hugely under my initial quote so we're definitely moving to the right direction. Thank you very much.

I think the correct model for my car is: Denso DCP51011 or Toyota 88370-76020

Not sure if that's correct, but hopefully it is and hopefully it helps any other suggestions! Thanks a lot guys.

3 hours ago, BeauBelle said:

I don't think I'll be able to find the plug on its own.

You could modify it with a different set of connectors as long as you could adequately seal the male side to stop water ingress into the compressor.

It's literally just a plug and socket to supply power to the compressor and has no bearing on what the compressor does or how it works.

According to Toyota this should be the part number for the female plug 90980-12303, 6 pin inline waterproof ( not too sure on the last word looking at the damage!)

There is nothing mentioned for the male connector fitted to the compressor but a decent auto electrician will be able to re-pin both the plug and socket.

E5F5CA44-CC1F-4FA0-B8C6-DB445883DC98.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

If anyone is interested in the progress of this, I have posted the same issue in Boards (irish forums). This is the link, but if it is not allowed, please accept my apology and take it down. Thank you very much for all your help guys.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058099930

24 minutes ago, BeauBelle said:

Hi guys,

If anyone is interested in the progress of this, I have posted the same issue in Boards (irish forums). This is the link, but if it is not allowed, please accept my apology and take it down. Thank you very much for all your help guys.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058099930

I'm glad to see that it's finally being sorted Karl, but it really makes my blood boil to see/hear people talking of the hybrid and high voltage side of things when that has nothing to do with it. For a running car, yes, but when talking of having the unit on the bench to work on it, no.

And the people who said this:

the garage were saying that by legalities, they are not able to open the compressor due to the high voltage nature to try and repair the link between connector and mainboard inside and only Lexus officially are allowed to do so

are complete numpties!

As it turns out you've found out that there's something else wrong other than just the one corroded pin but as yet, we don't know what. I'm not saying that I could have successfully completed the whole job but if I lived closer I would have been more than happy to take on the initial problem for you.

Anyway, good luck and I really hope this guy comes up trumps for you - please keep us posted won't you?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, the mechanic was unsuccessful in repairing the compressor. He hasn't talked much about it but I think it's to do with too much corrosion inside. He is now trying to source a second hand compressor for me and will ring me with updates.

Crazy thing about it is, he still hasn't charged me for any of the work that he has done so far(1 day and a half).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 200h said:

dont forget to try the link i posted

or give the link to your garage for them to try.

Just tried to look for a compressor in that site, even tried chat. Sadly, not available at the moment. Thanks a lot, though, and I will be checking back.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links