Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Roof Railings RX450h 2009 Looking to Buy

This is a question that owners raise from time to time including me as demand for decent used ones seems to exceed availability.  I bought mine from Lexus Direct, a Lexus Dealer at Swindon who sometimes contributes to threads of this club.  They posted them to me at an inclusive price of less than Mark's link asked.  The new ones come with the extra length bolts you need to fit these plus gaskets etc, so if you buy second hand make sure you get these parts.  Mine included a diagram which showed applicable from 2008 on so would be suitable for your model.  I also decided to buy the optional  2 cross rails that fit to the side rails from Lexus Direct at a discounted price.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

This is a question that owners raise from time to time including me as demand for decent used ones seems to exceed availability.  I bought mine from Lexus Direct, a Lexus Dealer at Swindon who sometimes contributes to threads of this club.  They posted them to me at an inclusive price of less than Mark's link asked.  The new ones come with the extra length bolts you need to fit these plus gaskets etc, so if you buy second hand make sure you get these parts.  Mine included a diagram which showed applicable from 2008 on so would be suitable for your model.  I also decided to buy the optional  2 cross rails that fit to the side rails from Lexus Direct at a discounted price.

Thanks for useful reply 

What was discounted price if you don't mind me asking

1 hour ago, sergeigto said:

and the price seems out of touch with reality .

Prices are very much the reality of a genuine part sold by the manufacturer of a luxury vehicle costing £50k. Lexus parts direct offer slightly cheaper:

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-rx/lexus-rx-phase-iii-2009-2015/lexus-rx-3-exterior-interior/lexus-rx-phase-3-roof-rails/

You are unlikely to get a genuine, new part cheaper in this country. Might be possible to purchase cheaper in the US but shipping costs will eat into any saving.

Best to find a breakers with an RX in that they can be taken off.

2 hours ago, sergeigto said:

Thanks for suggestion 

However eBay is first place where I've looked , and the price seems out of touch with reality .

Will continue looking

Sorry can't get to my records at present but if you contact Lexus Direct they will give you current price.  Lexus Cheltenham emailed me a few weeks back saying they were giving 20% discount on accessories but I think this   offer expired at the end of August.  You could enquire whether they would still do this discount for you which I believe some other dealerships offered also and compare with what Lexus Direct are offering.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Prices are very much the reality of a genuine part sold by the manufacturer of a luxury vehicle costing £50k. Lexus parts direct offer slightly cheaper:

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-rx/lexus-rx-phase-iii-2009-2015/lexus-rx-3-exterior-interior/lexus-rx-phase-3-roof-rails/

You are unlikely to get a genuine, new part cheaper in this country. Might be possible to purchase cheaper in the US but shipping costs will eat into any saving.

Best to find a breakers with an RX in that they can be taken off.

Why would I need new part (that lasts forever) for old car ? Good second hand will do exactly same job just fine 

£350 part for £50k = makes sense (kinda)

£350 part for £10k = nonsense

4 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Sorry can't get to my records at present but if you contact Lexus Direct they will give you current price.  Lexus Cheltenham emailed me a few weeks back saying they were giving 20% discount on accessories but I think this   offer expired at the end of August.  You could enquire whether they would still do this discount for you which I believe some other dealerships offered also and compare with what Lexus Direct are offering.

Thank you for your replay 👍

2 minutes ago, sergeigto said:

Why would I need new part (that lasts forever) for old car ? 

£350 part for £50k = makes sense (kinda)

£350 part for £10k = nonsense

Unfortunately prices of parts don't tend to decrease with the depreciation of the car. Would be lovely if this were the case 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, m4rkw said:

Unfortunately prices of parts don't tend to decrease with the depreciation of the car. Would be lovely if this were the case 🙂

Wouldn't that be great 😁

So for that reason for me only second hand will have to do ☹️

The challenge is they are rare and people that purchase them keep them permanently on the vehicle and sell it with them on - therefore you don't see any second hand for sale.

Thule, and possibly other manufacturers, make cross bars that fit the series III RX without the need for rails - that would be one option available to you, cheaper than purchasing both rails and bars.

2 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

The challenge is they are rare and people that purchase them keep them permanently on the vehicle and sell it with them on - therefore you don't see any second hand for sale.

Thule, and possibly other manufacturers, make cross bars that fit the series III RX without the need for rails - that would be one option available to you, cheaper than purchasing both rails and bars.

That's true 

However crossbars without rails tend to look ugly 

Besides i already have lexus crossbars from previous model 

Looks like break yard is the only option 

On 9/8/2020 at 3:40 PM, m4rkw said:

I'm still waiting to hear from Lexus about whether those Thule bars can be safely fitted to a car with a panoramic roof

would have thought this question would have been asked before and an answer available

19 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Unfortunately this article doesn't really answer the question.

"In most cases, placing a rooftop carrier directly on top of your panoramic roof is not a good idea because it can damage parts of the vehicle and cause you some fairly costly repairs"

I take this to mean that the carrier is somehow resting on the glass, which would obviously be a terrible idea. It then goes on to say that when choosing a roof box, make sure you choose one that the manufacturer (of the roofbox) says is compatible. This is all well and good, but the issue is that the manufacturer of the *car* is (apparently / sometimes) saying don't do it. No roofbox maker is going to cover the cost of the glass repair if something breaks, so I think we need Lexus to provide more detail here. I will try to chase them today to get back to me with my query. I think I'm probably going to have to pester them with specific questions to get the necessary detail about why they're saying don't do it (if they still are).

I can see it going one of three ways:

1) They say in most cases it will be ok but they will take no liability for damage

2) They say it's ok as long as the box never rests on the glass (it's possible that their initial statement of "don't do it" may have been related to issues caused by people doing this rather than using bars that rest on points on the frame)

3) They reiterate their stance of advising against it, and perhaps add some clarification or technical explanation of how the glass could crack even with a carrier resting on bars joined to the frame

The fact that they seem to refuse to sell roof rails for cars with the panoramic roof tends to suggest that 3) is most likely, unfortunately. But it would still be good to get a full explanation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

Unfortunately this article doesn't really answer the question.

"In most cases, placing a rooftop carrier directly on top of your panoramic roof is not a good idea because it can damage parts of the vehicle and cause you some fairly costly repairs"

I take this to mean that the carrier is somehow resting on the glass, which would obviously be a terrible idea. It then goes on to say that when choosing a roof box, make sure you choose one that the manufacturer (of the roofbox) says is compatible. This is all well and good, but the issue is that the manufacturer of the *car* is (apparently / sometimes) saying don't do it. No roofbox maker is going to cover the cost of the glass repair if something breaks, so I think we need Lexus to provide more detail here. I will try to chase them today to get back to me with my query. I think I'm probably going to have to pester them with specific questions to get the necessary detail about why they're saying don't do it (if they still are).

I can see it going one of three ways:

1) They say in most cases it will be ok but they will take no liability for damage

2) They say it's ok as long as the box never rests on the glass (it's possible that their initial statement of "don't do it" may have been related to issues caused by people doing this rather than using bars that rest on points on the frame)

3) They reiterate their stance of advising against it, and perhaps add some clarification or technical explanation of how the glass could crack even with a carrier resting on bars joined to the frame

The fact that they seem to refuse to sell roof rails for cars with the panoramic roof tends to suggest that 3) is most likely, unfortunately. But it would still be good to get a full explanation.

Thanks Mark.I did not mean to cause you to reflect on that particular article.

It was my way of showing Barry 14 UK that there was a  more useful way of making a contribution to the subject than by simply pontificating.

20 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

It was my way of showing Barry 14 UK that there was a  more useful way of making a contribution to the subject than by simply pontificating.

Haha fair enough 🙂

I chased Lexus today and got:

"Thank you for your email confirming the frame number for your vehicle.

Unfortunately here in the UK we are unable to access the technical data for imported vehicles. However, I have still asked our Product Technical department whether they are able to provide any information. "

So I replied with:

"No worries. I'd be grateful if you could answer the question as it relates to European-spec RX-300 (so V6 engine) cars of the same year (2006), as I believe they are technically identical in terms of the chassis and panoramic roof.

I know several people who are interested in the answer to this question. If your other department then come back with clarification on my specific car it will be interesting to be able to compare them."

Hopefully that will get some info out of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I think if you read this read this thread through you will find that I have made several suggestions for which I have been thanked and I don't require any lessons from you on protocol, so don't make me an excuse for a link that did not help greatly.  It seems to me you have a bit more apologizing to do.  

27 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

I think if you read this read this thread through you will find that I have made several suggestions for which I have been thanked and I don't require any lessons from you on protocol, so don't make me an excuse for a link that did not help greatly.  It seems to me you have a bit more apologizing to do.  

Ah, the Kraken wakes!

When you respond to invitations I  give you Barry, I `ll respond accordingly.Do your own searching for the clues.

I don't want to get involved in whatever dispute you guys may or may not have, but lets just try to remember that we're all here trying to help eachother. Sometimes we post things (me included) that aren't so helpful, but I don't think we should be overly critical of people trying to help eachother. Barry's post about past forum threads was worthwhile in my opinion because many people (again me included) are often too lazy to search old threads. I actually made a point to do this when I read it but still haven't 😄 and John's link was helpful too - although it didn't answer the specific question in relation to these RX cars, it did teach me that carrying roof loads on cars with panoramic roofs is not unheard of and perhaps even common. I had actually googled for stories like this recently but didn't find this one.

Nobody has all the answers to every issue but I for one appreciate any and all help.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, m4rkw said:

I don't want to get involved in whatever dispute you guys may or may not have, but lets just try to remember that we're all here trying to help eachother. Sometimes we post things (me included) that aren't so helpful, but I don't think we should be overly critical of people trying to help eachother. Barry's post about past forum threads was worthwhile in my opinion because many people (again me included) are often too lazy to search old threads. I actually made a point to do this when I read it but still haven't 😄 and John's link was helpful too - although it didn't answer the specific question in relation to these RX cars, it did teach me that carrying roof loads on cars with panoramic roofs is not unheard of and perhaps even common. I had actually googled for stories like this recently but didn't find this one.

Nobody has all the answers to every issue but I for one appreciate any and all help.

An extremely useful contribution Mark, thank you..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links