Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Losing air in tyres - suggestions?

Hi all

I got a TMPS message yesterday. Wondering if what I am seeing is a small or a large problem

I filled the tyres 3 weeks ago to 36 PSI.

Yesterday, the front R + L were 33 PSI each, the rear left L 28 PSI and rear R 32 PSI

My read is that the rear L rim could be bent. I could see any puncture on the tyre

Any thoughts / suggestions?  How much does it cost to unbend a rim?

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Is there a reason you think the wheel is bent?

First thing to do is to spray some soapy water around the rim and look for air bubbles, which should pinpoint your leak.

The last time something like this happened to me, it turns out that the TPMS valve was actually at fault and a small turn with a ratchet to tighten it fixed the problem.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

Hi John,

Is there a reason you think the wheel is bent?

First thing to do is to spray some soapy water around the rim and look for air bubbles, which should pinpoint your leak.

The last time something like this happened to me, it turns out that the TPMS valve was actually at fault and a small turn with a ratchet to tighten it fixed the problem.  

Hi

The tyre pressure readings are uneven between the tyres. It was 28 (pumped to 36 PSI 3 weeks before) while the others were 32-33

Is it common for tyres to move that kind of pressure in less than a month?

You've certainly have a leak or a puncture. I had a bent alloy on my Corolla recently. It cost me £50 to fix but it was not letting air out. I would follow Shahpor's advice to work out if it's a problem with the valve, or dirt between the rim and the tyre or a very small puncture in the tyre.

• Like 1

Since all your tyres are losing pressure I think air may be leaking because the tyre beads are not sealing on the rims.

This is a very common fault with older alloys because corrosion occurs in that area which breaks the airtight seal.

Tyre fitters are well aware of this problem and they remove the tyres and brush on a special sealant on this area.

In my experience this works for at least a year,but a more permanent solution is to rub down the area on the wheels to remove the corrosion and then apply paint to the area...which is obviously a lot more involved that just getting a tyre place to reseal the rims!

• Like 1

i've used products like this in the past and they are really good at identifiying leaks

as the solution is clingy and you get a mass of bubbles very quickly to find the source easily

https://www.toolstation.com/action-can-ld-90-gas-leak-detector/p65456?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5eX7BRDQARIsAMhYLP8H_zh2ygz3cfcsZ-t3yfoKNJef3O4zQQu9ETJHQFS76qDC1GGDp1caAh1DEALw_wcB

• Like 1

dont forget it has gone from warm weather to colder weather

over the last few weeks so this maybe the reason 3 of your tyre

pressures have dropped and are similar psi's

using a spray like the one i mentioned your wheel can stay on the car

for the testing

Could be valves or rim seal like folk said, or a small puncture or porous alloys, however give the even drop on 3, I suspect weather/temp change for those and that means the 4th has lost a further 4 or 5 psi so has something else going on.

Get the leak test and check that 4th wheel for the valve, all around the bead outside and inside edges and if that doesn't help, then check for punctures, like a screw still in place and then if not joy, check the rest of the wheel. Few mins and a fiver and least you know what your dealing with - better than paying 10 for a shop to pop and seal bead and it perhaps still not fix it.

• Like 1

I had the two rear tyres on the 2011 Rx450h I had have the same problem.

The front ones had been changed around 18 months ago but the rear ones were on when I got the car three years ago and they were loosing a slight amount of air past the beading.

All it needed was the tyres removed and resealed again, the sealant can loose its effectiveness over time. 

Had the same problem on mine. 99% sure it was the valves.
From what I understand its a common issue with a small leak forming around the valves.

It sounds like the valve as normally if its the seal, it goes down more quickly but a very small leak
in the tire seal is also possible.

Got these wheels spare, if you’re interested.

only used for s couple of months while I got my Lexus wheels refurbished.

Make me an offer, they’re just sitting in the garage, as I don’t have a Lexus anymore.

collect from Blackpool.

D1F47DD0-9552-4464-9D72-504F9E093DFD.jpeg

after just 3 weeks of fitting brand new tyres I would return to the garage that fitted them and ask / tell them the problem, it's THEIR PROBLEM  and the tyres need re-fitting to better prepared internal rims

THEIR PROBLEM AND AT THEIR COST METHINKS

the fitter didn't prepare them fully maybe knowing this sort of thing can and often happens on older rims and waiting for a " puncture scare and repair " at your cost to boost their profits

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links