Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Charging 12V Battery in the Lexus UX

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Remember this Nick and sadly often not heard today ?

"Coughs and sneezes spread diseases so trap your germs in a handkerchief."

Originated on posters in the USA during the 1918-20 influenza pandemic but this is the version I remember seeing (not when it was first shown I should add!!)

• Like 1

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that the breakdown services had been called out several times due to the Battery going flat.  You should never let your Battery go flat as the least it will do is to reduce its life.  This calls for more frequent check of voltage if the car is insufficiently used as during lockdown for example.  It would have been helpful if Lexus had included a readily viewable voltage gauge as Herbs has added on his car.

A smart charger that will not overcharge the Battery is better and fast chargers are best avoided to charge a standard service Battery.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

If I was using my car so little that the 12v Battery kept going flat I would go outside once a week and get the car to ready state and stay in it for about 30 minutes. My understanding, from other more knowledgeable people in the forum, is that the traction batteries will charge up the 12v Battery and the ICE when it switches on will charge up the traction batteries. Heck, I’d probably even go for a drive for 30 minutes rather than sit in the stationary car. That is surely far easier than buying a charger, setting it up every time and then remembering to disconnect it every time? Some may have to keep their cars on the road too which makes charging even harder. Driving the car occasionally is fun and enjoyable and also keeps brakes and tyres etc being used which is also good for the car.

I get why trickle chargers are a good idea for cars that are left inactive for very long periods of time but I’m not so sure this is necessary for cars that are in regular use.

I can’t see the point of buying a premium Lexus hybrid and then leaving it outside with no use allowing the 12v Battery to go flat. Get out there and use your cars. It’s fun and enjoyable 😀

• Like 4

My feelings exactly Paul!

I know that some people may not be able to get about as much for medical reasons which is fair enough but, and I don't mean to cause offence to anyone but it has to be said because it does seem to be part of the problem, some people seem to have two or three, maybe even four cars to go at. Some only get used as a weekend 'toy' and some are garaged for months on end. I know it's not my place to say it but it really narks me  :laughing:

My wife and I just have the one car, our RX, and it's in daily use doing everything we need - tip runs, Asda/Sainsburys runs, pleasure runs, European driving holidays to places like Poland, Czech, Latvia and so on, and anything else you can think of.

• Like 3

I know most people haven't be able to use their cars as much during lockdown (myself included as I've been working at home), but I generally drive 'the long way round' to any places I need to go to, e.g. food shopping. Helps to charge the Battery up and to still enjoy driving the car 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mikey2001 said:

I know most people haven't be able to use their cars as much during lockdown (myself included as I've been working at home), but I generally drive 'the long way round' to any places I need to go to, e.g. food shopping. Helps to charge the battery up and to still enjoy driving the car 🙂

Yep that’s another way of solving this problem. Enjoyable too! 😀

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links