Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another update on the LS600h

I've been enjoying what is now my third year of ownership of my LS600h. Those with good memories will remember that I bought this from Lexus Stoke just over two years ago. The car came with a full service history with Lexus and just over 100k miles on the clock. 

Having just ticked over 140k a week or so ago, she went in for a full service. I had noticed a bit of a clunking sound from the front suspension; also, I noticed that when the radar cruise control was turned off an error message was displayed asking to refer the car to the dealer (although nothing was wrong with the operational aspects of the system). Anyway, I asked Lexus to look at that. 

Suspension issues turned out to be front shock absorbers (around £640 ex VAT each) and suspension arms (around £400 ex VAT each apparently). The cruise control issue was a faulty ECU (yet to be replaced as it had to be ordered from somewhere). Add in labour costs = a big bill.

Good news - all covered by the 3 year warranty that Lexus offered with the car when I purchased it. So, silence will be restored when the work is completed and I"m going to look forward to another 10k miles of happy motoring. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, jpjsavage said:

Good news - all covered by the 3 year warranty that Lexus offered with the car when I purchased it.

what a blessed relief .........  shows one needs to purchase from a Lexus dealer rather than taking a chance on all these fabulous looking 2nd hand ones at other dealers and private sales

Malc

• Like 2

To be honest I think I will be sticking to my mark 4  on that update,aside of the three year warranty which you would have paid for in the purchase price that little bill would have been around £5K which is £1250 more than I paid for my car and I have spent nothing on repairs or replacement parts.

I am not knocking your decision for the original purchase or degenerating the outcome but when it comes to low cost upkeep  and maintenance the earlier Lexus LS models beat the crap out of the later models because there is less to go wrong and they were built better.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ambermarine said:

To be honest I think I will be sticking to my mark 4  on that update,aside of the three year warranty which you would have paid for in the purchase price that little bill would have been around £5K which is £1250 more than I paid for my car and I have spent nothing on repairs or replacement parts.

I am not knocking your decision for the original purchase or degenerating the outcome but when it comes to low cost upkeep  and maintenance the earlier Lexus LS models beat the crap out of the later models because there is less to go wrong and they were built better.

And I never had to replace the radiator in my VW Beetle ! So Phil, you are spot on as what you aint got just cannot go wrong.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

Well, I had two Mark 4 LS400 prior to this car. I still had some bills to contend with but clearly the level of technology in the LS600h is several steps up compared to the LS400 (not necessarily a good thing btw). However, when all is said and done, I'd much rather be driving around in the LS600h compared to the LS400s that I owned previously (both bought for around £1k). Sorry to upset those of you that argue for LS400 ownership.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ambermarine said:

Jonathan on the contrary I don't think any of us 400 owners are going to be upset by your update and we appreciate you making us feel better. 

Always good to make others feel happy! I loved both my LS400s so I know exactly where you are coming from here. Happy motoring!

Given that dampers and control arms are subjected to UK road quality and are generally classed as wear and tear items it’s good to hear they are all covered under a Lexus warranty.

I remember having to replace the near side UCA on mine after a pot hole conflict, a genuine one was £521.00 but I managed to get the same for around £130.00.

Mine is in for its MOT this Thursday, if it passes again I’ll have the roof sorted and wheels repainted if it fails on something major it will be gone and then I will be looking for another JPJSavage special.

Had 4 holidays cancelled this year, the bank account is pretty healthy so might as well spend it on some nice metal than let it sit there earning 0.01% interest.

• Like 1

I was surprised that they were covered too. I was expecting an argument about that!

When my three years of ownership are up, I'll be looking to sell the LS600h and get something else from Lexus. My wife is keen on a RX450l so we can take the grandchildren out and about all in one car. I'm not convinced yet. 

Whoever buys this car next year will know that every single thing that has been done throughout the entire life of the car has been done by a Lexus main dealer. This was my intention when buying it two and a bit years ago and I'm pleased that I've managed to maintain it in this way. 

Got to love a Lexus warranty. A couple of years ago and 11 months into 2002 IS300 ownership my dealer told me the water pump had a slight leak. Change it then I said, and while you're in there you might as well do the cam belt. Whole job cost me about 40 quid.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links