Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

First thoughts

Ok, I got my first RX yesterday - brand new factory build Takumi.  Sonic Titanium with rich cream / dark brown shimamoku wood.  I’ve previously driven a MY20 RX F Sport over a 24 hour period so I was already aware of good and bad points over my ES but I’ve always wanted an RX.

RX good points: build quality, high quality materials and effortless power.  ML audio is very good but the ES system, to me, sounds better.  Road presence is epic but bizarrely quite a bit shorter than the ES. The ES is only 15mm off 5m in length.  20’ rims are stunning and front end is particularly attractive but the air scoops are fake and blocked off but it feels like they might be removable.  Already been stared at by quite a few passers by, mind you, so did the ES.  The HUD, whilst the same 10.2” as the ES is laid out differently.  Not worst, just a different layout.

Poor points:  Bladescan lights are hopeless and worst than my ES Takumi, both of which are woeful compared to the adaptive lights in the wife’s Mazda CX-30 GT Sport Tech.  I’ve a 60mph test road that’s completely dark just a few minutes near to where I live.  I ended up driving on high beam (rather than adaptive) and this was better.  The difference really is night and day between the Lexus and Mazda lights.  The heated steering wheel is not automatic unlike the ES and barely registers any warmth.  The thigh extenders on both front seats don’t extend (unlike the ES), they simply raise up or down the nose of the seat. I wasn’t able to test this out beforehand.  The pan roof doesn’t open very far but I was already aware of that from driving the F Sport.

Overall though, I love the RX and it’s going to be great living with it for the next 18-24 months.  It really does feel very special and luxurious. 
As it was raining the centre kindly stuck the car in the handover bay.  The handover room that leads in to the bay was closed off like the showroom but they intentionally left the main vehicle bay doors open to air the space.  I simply got the keys, walked in to the bay and drove off without touching anything.  I didn’t see a problem with that especially as I was wearing a mask and had sanitised my hands.  There is a external canopy but the driving rain would have been wetting the car along one side.  As I wasn’t able to get the full handover experience because the showroom and handover room was closed plus not getting the usual freebies I get my first service free.

558BC83A-E776-4716-A17B-C39EF0AA062C.jpeg

4BE7BCDE-4E64-4BB0-AB30-ADABD38F7D1A.jpeg

72F5F321-3DF3-400B-BBBC-9B16CBBC2B44.jpeg

• Like 3

I wondered why, when I was syncing my phone that I kept getting a WiFi hotspot and then, this afternoon I found a WiFi box hidden in the boot under the little panel on the right hand side.  Is that standard?

890B4962-57CB-47B3-BB6D-CCAE1AE9AAE8.jpeg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Habu said:

I wondered why, when I was syncing my phone that I kept getting a WiFi hotspot and then, thus afternoon I found a WiFi box hidden in the boot under the little panel on the right hand side.  Is that standard?

Wow! What a find! Did it mention this in the handbook?

Love the colour combination .............. drooling with envy!

ENJOY!

3 hours ago, Habu said:

I wondered why, when I was syncing my phone that I kept getting a WiFi hotspot and then, this afternoon I found a WiFi box hidden in the boot under the little panel on the right hand side.  Is that standard?

Hi Congrats am also expecting to take my delivery in two weeks time. Would be curious what you will find out about this little WiFi hotspot box. I suspect it may be  similar to what I have read on the American forums where they get a free internet access for the 1st year known as Lexus Enform, and it reverts to paid subscription after the first year. Let us know what you find out

1 minute ago, Zotto said:

It's the wifi hotspot, not standard, to use it you need a data sim in. I had one in my GS.

So one can simply buy a data only SIM card from any of the telecom networks and plug it in?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Habu said:

I think I’ve found the answer see attached from the Lexus RX manual 

A749C151-0CBF-4B0F-8493-E6AB064D3053.jpeg

I noticed today that the nav software is Autumn 2019.  Bizarre, given the car left the factory on the 16 September 2020.  Correctly, the car has told me that the maps are due an update to 2020/01.  I’ll be doing the update this weekend OTA!🙀🤞  I’ll probably still have to have the car running for an hour but we’ll see.  

22 hours ago, Fatts said:

I think I’ve found the answer see attached from the Lexus RX manual 

A749C151-0CBF-4B0F-8493-E6AB064D3053.jpeg

I’ll use it whilst I’ve got it but I can’t really see any benefit as my Iphone has huge amounts of data per month but I suppose I could ‘attach’ the iPad to the car rather than using the Iphone as a hotspot.

3 hours ago, Habu said:

I’ll use it whilst I’ve got it but I can’t really see any benefit as my iPhone has huge amounts of data per month but I suppose I could ‘attach’ the iPad to the car rather than using the iPhone as a hotspot.

To get the hotspot up and running you need to register it via the my-lexus website. From memory they wanted a snapshot of my drivers licence as part of the registration process, probably some know your customer stuff.

Mine took nearly three months to get setup correctly via the website, it might be a bit slicker for you as it felt like Lexus fixed something in their website backend with the phone provider.

The wifi password is on the side of glove box once it's been opened. I probably won't use it long term as you say a phone will do instead for most purposes.

14 hours ago, PeterI said:

Mine took nearly three months to get setup correctly via the website, it might be a bit slicker for you as it felt like Lexus fixed something in their website backend with the phone provider.

Looks like things have improved somewhat as mine was up and running the same day as vehicle collection.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links