Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tranmission Oil - Anyone?

1 minute ago, m4rkw said:

I heard you need to change the fluid in the wheel bearings on those otherwise they can fail and then the council might refuse to take your rubbish because the bin doesn't move easily. Could even need a complete bin rebuild.

But the questions is... whenever that is economical preventative maintenance or is it better just to replace the bin when it comes to it ?😁

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, nicnac said:

Lads ..........When you want financial Advice .........go to your mechanic !

Well I rang up the mechanic for the trans oil quote and he said why do you wanna change it is there any reason. He was being very hesitant even when I said its just maintenance. He was more interested in saving my hard earned dollars.

• Like 1

Another mechanic local to me told me he'll do the job for £120 labour which would be around 6 or so litres of oil. He said I would need to call up Lexus to get the original parts for the job. Fluid, pan, gasket etc.

4 minutes ago, Ozzay said:

Well I rang up the mechanic for the trans oil quote and he said why do you wanna change it is there any reason. He was being very hesitant even when I said its just maintenance. He was more interested in saving my hard earned dollars.

Sometimes they can be hesitant because if it fails sometime after the oil was changed you might blame them. This is a particular concern if it's not been changed for a long time, however a correct service can never hurt the transmission. In these cases it was the previous lack of maintenance that caused the problem.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ozzay said:

Another mechanic local to me told me he'll do the job for £120 labour which would be around 6 or so litres of oil. He said I would need to call up Lexus to get the original parts for the job. Fluid, pan, gasket etc.

You mean filter? 

As I said... nobody does this as regular maintenance, unless they can do it themselves or there is a reason. I would take advise from your mechanic and save yourself hard earned money.

As well 6L of fluid is incorrect - kind of random amount... if he takes pan off, then it will be around ~3.5L of fluid. There is nothing else you can do. If he somehow flushes all oil, then it is 7.2L. I guess ordering 4L is fine considering some will be wasted when refilling as it need to start running from overflow plug.

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

You mean filter? 

As I said... nobody does this as regular maintenance, unless they can do it themselves or there is a reason. I would take advise from your mechanic and save yourself hard earned money.

As well 6L of fluid is incorrect - kind of random amount... if he takes pan off, then it will be around ~3.5L of fluid. There is nothing else you can do. If he somehow flushes all oil, then it is 7.2L. I guess ordering 4L is fine considering some will be wasted when refilling as it need to start running from overflow plug.

I think he was just guessing about the litres and yes I am talking about the filter sorry. But he said get original parts from them.  Think I will have to phone Lexus again and see if I can speak to someone more technical because its always someone just translating what the mechanic/engineer says in these places.

6 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

As I said... nobody does this as regular maintenance, unless they can do it themselves or there is a reason.

There's only one reason to do maintenance, and that's because it's cheaper than not doing maintenance. Lots of people do in fact maintain their cars.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

There's only one reason to do maintenance, and that's because it's cheaper than not doing maintenance. Lots of people do in fact maintain their cars.

Let's not start the same topic again... It clearly isn't cheaper on IS250 AT. We both know that there are no evidence to suggest otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Let's not start the same topic again... It clearly isn't cheaper on IS250 AT. We both know that there are no evidence to suggest otherwise.

I call bull**** but I can't be bothered to have the same argument again, let's just agree to disagree.

11 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

How do I make a £million ................... Your the expert !!!!!LOL

13 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

I call bull**** but I can't be bothered to have the same argument again, let's just agree to disagree.

Agree... the burden of proof is on your side, so I am fine which where I am.

3 minutes ago, nicnac said:

How do I make a £million ................... Your the expert !!!!!LOL

Every little helps, but people are saying "first million is bloody"... and I agree. You either need to inherit it or make sacrifices with your morale 🙂 

Just now, Linas.P said:

Agree... the burden of proof is on your side, so I am fine which where I am.

*sigh*. That's just silly. I'm done.

If anyone reading this and who would like any technical advice on this subject or are thinking of doing it themselves ,please feel free to PM me .Advice there will be given without judgement 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 1:02 PM, Ozzay said:

Anyone ever changed transmission oil before?

Lexus dealer are charging £150. I am not sure if the car needs it at any point.

I read this on a few forums and saw on YT. Some say trans oil lasts the life of the car and others say it might be healthier for the gearbox at 100k.

I am not sure if I need it the car is mostly fine especially when warm. Just sometimes when it slow down almost to 5mph going over these horrible local bumps it shifts down to 1 and then I see a little neutral rev as I accelerate out before it selects the gear again.

Does not happen much but cars generally fine. Not a flush just a complete change. Just wondering.

give jemlexus a ring and ask for a drain and refill service for your IS250. They did my GS300 about 20k miles ago for around £140 i decided to have the brake fluid and diff fluid drain and refilled aswell for and extra charge. they're very good working on Lexus cars. http://www.jemlexus.co.uk/

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, noby76 said:

give jemlexus a ring and ask for a drain and refill service for your IS250. They did my GS300 about 20k miles ago for around £140 i decided to have the brake fluid and diff fluid drain and refilled aswell for and extra charge. they're very good working on Lexus cars. http://www.jemlexus.co.uk/

Chepaest for them is £120 for 2 litres simple drain and refill.

50 minutes ago, Ozzay said:

Chepaest for them is £120 for 2 litres simple drain and refill.

yeh labour and cost of oil ain't cheap.. but i'm guessing the idea is introducing brand new fresh oil which includes protective additives will in theory protect the life span of the transmission in my opinion. i'm aiming to do another in the next 15k-20k miles. 

5 minutes ago, noby76 said:

yeh labour and cost of oil ain't cheap.. but i'm guessing the idea is introducing brand new fresh oil which includes protective additives will in theory protect the life span of the transmission in my opinion. i'm aiming to do another in the next 15k-20k miles. 

Yep. Make sure you get the filter assembly changed too as that's where all the debris will collect.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

get the filter assembly changed

just wondering .......  can this be cleaned and re-used ?

Malc

36 minutes ago, Malc said:

Malc

Doubt it, it's probably similar in design to an oil filter.

2 hours ago, m4rkw said:

Yep. Make sure you get the filter assembly changed too as that's where all the debris will collect.

You talking cross purpose. If only 2L of fluid being drained and refilled (which I consider waste of time for many reasons), then filter won't be changed and could not be changed. To change the filter you must remove fluid pan and replace gasket and refill ~3.5L of fluid.

Either that, or you can't replace the filter.

2 hours ago, Malc said:

Probably not, but it would not be worth it, because filter is cheap, but to replace it you must drain all the fluid in the gearbox, because fluid pan has to come out. So if you taking the filter out, replacing gasket and 3.5L of fluid, then spending £20 on the filter is last thing you want to cheap out on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links