Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

'96/'97 LS400 Bulb Confusion

Can anyone confirm the correct high and low beam bulbs for my LS? Save me taking off the Battery cover/air duct in the rain for a look.

Handbook (probably correct) says H4 for low beam...

H4.jpg.7e9d02a3405b822c2fff44f9dacbb129.jpg

...and HB3 for high beam

HB3.jpg.ebdb7f3ee52b67884d8b4b0afdd8f4e7.jpg

Can anyone confirm?

The reason I'm questioning the handbook is because every online bulb place lists H4 for both and one or two even suggesting the H1 for high beam

H1.thumb.jpg.e59bf98f7e6a0cd99be9821c42572d03.jpg

Sidelights aren't a problem. I've changed those before. And fog lights (HB4? Very similar to the HB3?) I was going to leave as is.

Confused of Sheffield.

21 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Can anyone confirm the correct high and low beam bulbs for my LS? Save me taking off the battery cover/air duct in the rain for a look.

Handbook (probably correct) says H4 for low beam...

H4.jpg.7e9d02a3405b822c2fff44f9dacbb129.jpg

...and HB3 for high beam

HB3.jpg.ebdb7f3ee52b67884d8b4b0afdd8f4e7.jpg

Can anyone confirm?

The reason I'm questioning the handbook is because every online bulb place lists H4 for both and one or two even suggesting the H1 for high beam

Confused of Sheffield.

Hi Richard,

If you have separate lamps for high and low beam there should be no use for 3 terminals on the bulb.

beware tho' ......  when I had to get one for mine ( maybe it's the same ) they only sold them in packs of TWO .....  but only about a fiver for the pack ........... heaven knows when I'll ever need the " spare " ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, these bulbs last for many many years and miles it seems

Malc

• Like 1

Handbook was obviously correct. Ordered and fitted brighter/whiter sidelights, low beam, high beam and fog lights. Nothing silly, just not yellow. Going on the state of the ones I took out they looked like the originals!

And I have to say, second only to my old XC90 for ease in changing.

• Like 1

Shortly after buying mine I replaced the headlights with HIDs. Not a problem with MOT and just the occasional flash from oncoming traffic but main beam were still standard bulbs so useless.

I decided to go back to conventional so refitted the original bulbs I had carefully stored...they still work perfectly after 26 years.

The only thing I have found is that even decent quality aftermarket LED side lights (wedge type) never seem to fit very well in the socket, I have one now that is intermittent.

With the amount and types of available bulbs it does get confusing particularly when the latin names are used, there’s nothing like getting a “Pick and Mix” selection when it comes to a Lexus Giganticus.

2AF30FB1-929E-46BC-92C3-ADCC7A9C4ACF.jpeg

• Haha 1

These were Phillips WhiteVision Ultra so regular bulbs but a little more output and certainly whiter. Not sure if you can tell from the attached picture. Driver's side done, passenger side original. Much more noticeable in the flesh.

IMG_20210317_150158150.thumb.jpg.52819a86965a00f160c9172899a7ea1f.jpg

I've used the WhiteVision bulbs on a few cars and always been impressed but you mention the sidelights, these are still a little yellow in comparison. I'm going to pick up a pair of LEDs and see what they're like but I think I'm going to have a problem matching with the low and high beams. Regular W5W will always lag behind the larger bulbs and LEDs could possibly be too bright.

I chucked the old ones. They were falling to bits! Noticed the fitment under the rubber cap for the low beams was quite heavily greased too. Something I've not come across before.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links