Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

I pulled the internal boot release lever and something fell off, looked on the floor to find the plastic cover had split into 2 pieces.

Not a problem I’ll simply glue it back together with my “Industrial Strength Superglue”.

Left it overnight with 2 clothes pegs clamping it together and this morning went out to slide it back on only to find it fell into 2 bits again.

So much for the stupid glue, fingers stuck together no problem, plastic parts useless!

Now on attempt No.2 using Araldite Rapid.

I thought worst scenario is a new cover but no Lexus only sell the complete panel plastics and not just the cover for a mere £107.00!

Grey insulating tape if attempt 2 still fails.

Finally if your mind started wondering on the topic title wash your head out with Toyota Type IV 😀

D0A4770A-8E95-4576-8F33-5AF26DA51BDE.png

EB42BA92-38F6-43D8-9055-4C11BF08DA58.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Left it overnight with 2 clothes pegs clamping it together

wrong clothes pegs maybe ......  old fashioned wooden one and a cheap Chinese plastic one too !   when will you ever learn not to use counterfeit products

Malc

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Malc said:

wrong clothes pegs maybe ......  old fashioned wooden one and a cheap Chinese plastic one too !   when will you ever learn not to use counterfeit products

Malc

Araldite is holding, a bit of a tight fit due to internal glue squeeze but on and working.

Perhaps the choice of pegs wasn’t the best after all you can’t get a square peg around a round knob 😀

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Try JB weld or Verca Steel. I glued together the plastic lid of the canister of a Toyota Avensis successfuly.

Both set in a few minutes to industrial standards. Can withstand very high temperatures too.

Chris.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Damned Type IV tastes nasty! 🤣

Superglue is useless on plastics.
It sticks skin really well (what it was invented for), porous materials really well, metals good if over large areas, glass ok, but utterly useless on any plastic I've ever tried it on.

For something like that, if you can identify the plastic type, you can get specific glues. I have ABS Cement and Perspex Cement in the garage as I glue those quite often. Otherwise it's epoxy glue, but most of those don't stick to plastics that well either.  I also do plastic welding but not for a small part like that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in my 400 days, I found my internal boot release lever badly bent. The car had been laid up for a couple of months and I'd taken it for a full valet to spruce it up. The young lad doing the cleaning had bent the lever trying to open the boot.....not realising that it was an electrical switch and it had been disabled.

Luckily, it was only bent and could be 'persuaded' back into shape.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I pulled the internal boot release lever and something fell off, looked on the floor to find the plastic cover had split into 2 pieces.

Not a problem I’ll simply glue it back together with my “Industrial Strength Superglue”.

Left it overnight with 2 clothes pegs clamping it together and this morning went out to slide it back on only to find it fell into 2 bits again.

So much for the stupid glue, fingers stuck together no problem, plastic parts useless!

Now on attempt No.2 using Araldite Rapid.

I thought worst scenario is a new cover but no Lexus only sell the complete panel plastics and not just the cover for a mere £107.00!

Grey insulating tape if attempt 2 still fails.

Finally if your mind started wondering on the topic title wash your head out with Toyota Type IV 😀

D0A4770A-8E95-4576-8F33-5AF26DA51BDE.png

EB42BA92-38F6-43D8-9055-4C11BF08DA58.jpeg

First use a little acetone where the parts are to stick and then superglue will do just what it is supposed to. Did so far work with the plastic I used it on.

I did mention: a little acetone? A little too much will damage the plastic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Luckily, it was only bent and could be 'persuaded' back into shape.

How did you do it? My switch is also bent, but presumably care is needed to make sure it doesn't break off completely, thus ending up with Steve's predicament.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership