Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I recall the general rule for using higher octane fuel being your engine's compression ratio is 12:1 and above or something along those line. The IS250 being a 2.5L V6, I wouldn't put anything else in it to be honest. Well, unless we have fuel shortages 😞

My fuel pump picked a great time to split and start leaking.  Although there had been a fuel smell for quite a while but i couldn't track it down.

Fitted a used replacement now, ideally would have got just a replacement top piece for the pump but couldn't find a part number. hopefully should last the rest of the life of the car anyway.

1 hour ago, BC99 said:

My fuel pump picked a great time to split and start leaking.  Although there had been a fuel smell for quite a while but i couldn't track it down.

Fitted a used replacement now, ideally would have got just a replacement top piece for the pump but couldn't find a part number. hopefully should last the rest of the life of the car anyway.

We’re there any signs of imminently failing fuel pump other than the smell of petrol?

according to Scotty Kilmer one can hear a high pitch noise when opening the fuel tank and listening, never came across this myself.

1 hour ago, Thelongterm said:

We’re there any signs of imminently failing fuel pump other than the smell of petrol?

according to Scotty Kilmer one can hear a high pitch noise when opening the fuel tank and listening, never came across this myself.

Fuel pump was working fine, it was just the plastic top piece that seals it into the fuel tank had cracked. So no, no symptoms other than the fuel smell around the rear nearside door, which eventually developed to actually dripping. removing fuel cap was still accompanied by air movement.

I think the fuel pump retaining ring rusting and the expansion of it had lead to the plastic being stressed leading to cracking.

• Like 1

There was a 12 plate IS250 behind me in the que at Shell, Noke, St Albans this afternoon I filled up with V power but noticed he was going for E10 I gave light advice but he went ahead anyway.

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2021 at 5:40 PM, Sundance said:

Hardly a good analogy John, sorry mate.  But if you're out and about, get delayed and need a bite to eat you don't buy a loaf of bread.  But I get what you mean ... I think. 😉

What is more apparent is that the price of a sandwich tends not to vary from £3 one week to £3.50 the next!  And it's difficult to judge the long term benefit you get from eating a sandwich.  I won't go on ... 😊

Are you saying I should stockpile sandwitches? 

I recently filled up twice with Esso (forget what they call the E5 equivalent) and found it interesting. Why? Well for one I noticed the idle speed of the engine from first start up was higher than I'd seen before. But yes I noticed a better performance from my car. Economy? Well I'd say marginally better. 

I've also noticed how it's pricing at different area locations is rather surprising. 2p cheaper a litre at Cheetham Hill Manchester (yes I was born there and was passing through as I do now and then) than here in Rochdale. 

Back on Tesco's finest lol. Oh the joys of motoring nowadays. 

4 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

I wouldn't run E10 on any Lexus, watered down gunk - no thanks. 

Agreed, pishwater. Ran it a couple of times out of necessity and the car felt noticeably worse both times - sluggish, lacking torque, dull throttle response etc. 

Currently averaging 32 MPG on Momentum 99, which isn't bad for this time of year.

I’ve got a Texaco right next to my house and have been filling up with the E10 there and I’ve noticed significantly worse economy compared to their super unleaded E5 before September. Even with a somewhat light foot I’ve been getting roughly 22mpg in my tank average!

On top of that the fuel prices are an absolute joke at almost 150 per litre so on the occasion I’m driving past Derby I’ve been filling up at Costco as it was significantly cheaper (125) until recently and that’s now at 140ish.

I think with my next full tank I’ll be sticking with the E5 exclusively as the extra £10 to £15 should hopefully bring me back up to high 20s and low 30s!

If things keep getting worse I may have to consider getting a hybrid or consider an LPG conversion 🙄

13 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Esso (forget what they call the E5 equivalent) and found it interesting.

when I used the Esso E5 it was    Red* Octane 99    specified at the pump

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links