Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


RX400H Check VSC System / Check HYBRID System / E10 Fuel / Very Wet Road


Recommended Posts

Oh hello there, my first time into limp mode yesterday. An OBDII Reader is coming tomorrow (I had no luck with Techstream / Windows 10) 

I know the reasons for these error codes are many and varied, but what does the team think of this occurring for the first time directly after its first fill-up with (Sainsbury's) E10 - I believeed a 2007 RX400h should have no problems with it. 

The road was very wet, like an inch of water. The AWD warning is on too. The 12V  Battery is fine and freshly trickle charged. 

Am I living in cloud cuckoo land (as usual) to think finding and clearing the codes will make it work again? Let me know what you think.

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


36 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I am just about to fill-up with E10 - let you know!

Ha! it should be fine, although I've read the slightly lower price is offset by slightly lower MPG. I definitely saw it was 100% compatible. Just coincidence in my case I am sure. I am hoping an important bit just got too damp and no permanent damage is done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just now, Tagmaster said:

Ha! it should be fine, although I've read the slightly lower price is offset by slightly lower MPG. I definitely saw it was 100% compatible. Just coincidence in my case I am sure. I am hoping an important bit just got too damp and no permanent damage is done. 

Have you tried disconnecting the Battery for 10 minutes? Might do a reset?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tagmaster said:

An OBDII Reader is coming tomorrow (I had no luck with Techstream / Windows 10) 

You really should persevere with it, it does work. In my experience, the problems usually lie with the cable driver rather than Techstream. If you have persistent trouble with Win 10, try Oracle's VirtualBox and set up Win 7 or even XP in there.

Generic code readers are mostly OK but I'm not sure you'll get sub-codes like you do in Techstream and that could save a whole lot of hassle.

Just a random illustration - the code P0AA6 on it's own may cover 10 different things, whereas P0AA6-123 will point you in one direction, whilst P0AA6-456 will point to a different cause and so on. The sub-codes allow you greater accuracy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, Herbie said:

You really should persevere with it, it does work. In my experience, the problems usually lie with the cable driver rather than Techstream. If you have persistent trouble with Win 10, try Oracle's VirtualBox and set up Win 7 or even XP in there.

Generic code readers are mostly OK but I'm not sure you'll get sub-codes like you do in Techstream and that could save a whole lot of hassle.

Just a random illustration - the code P0AA6 on it's own may cover 10 different things, whereas P0AA6-123 will point you in one direction, whilst P0AA6-456 will point to a different cause and so on. The sub-codes allow you greater accuracy.

Thanks and makes sense. The obd device might well give me confidence to try again if it works. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure if this applies to the RX400h but other models displaying the VSC fault amongst others has been due to a faulty fuel cap gasket. The reason I mention this is because coincidently you had just filled the car with fuel.

You also mention the 12V Battery is fine but has it been tested on load?

CDCD6D6F-9C35-480D-9BE4-4C4809B17D3E.png

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Not sure if this applies to the RX400h but other models displaying the VSC fault amongst others has been due to a faulty fuel cap gasket. The reason I mention this is because coincidently you had just filled the car with fuel.

You also mention the 12V battery is fine but has it been tested on load?

CDCD6D6F-9C35-480D-9BE4-4C4809B17D3E.png

Ha thanks, interesting one. I can only hope it's such a simple fix! I did plug the cheeky OBD Device in ( - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06ZYXB168/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - still struggling to get a driver even for XP in VM for the MINI-VCI I have, so no techstream yet) and - ahem - wait for it: 

P0A78 Drive Motor 'A' Inverter Performance

...which doesn't look too good does it? 

I did put the reg number into https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ and found an outstanding recall found - I believe there was one around the inverter, but imagine Lexus has long since washed its hands of 2007 models. 

Is the hand held device likely to be that off? 

 

Any recommendations welcome. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tagmaster said:

P0A78 Drive Motor 'A' Inverter Performance

Oh dear :shocking:

By the way, I've just sent you some info by PM that may help you figure things out.

This is what I meant about the sub-codes:


2021-09-16.thumb.png.a2a0a47c267b23b65d21f80eed8b7401.png


1525843297_2021-09-16(1).thumb.png.8da58bd36d1080ed95389d409739c60b.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Team LexusOC. not a great deal of point in showing you these code readouts, it makes me feel like I am trying though!

I can't get any subcodes with Techstream yes (it crashes when I try, it also seems to quickly flatten the car Battery, could be coincidence though, it's on charge now anyway) 

Next steps:

I don't have the skills to even remove the rear seat, let alone start fiddling with high voltage parts. I spoke to the garage in st albans I've been using for servicing and they said 'we don't do hybrids.' Another one down the road advised me to 'limp' it to them, so they could read the codes. I tried, but it doesn't move when put into reverse, so is staying where it is for the moment. Being advised that 'it's drivable in limp mode' when it obviously isn't has not filled me with confidence. 

I found JAPEX and they're up the road, but have read mixed things about them only using Lexus-supplied parts. I can only find this US Inverter price, which is twice what the car cost me: https://parts.rallyelexus.com/p/Lexus__RX-400h/Drive-Motor-Inverter/63450154/G92A048080.html

Here's the question: Will a proper code read reveal a subcode that says 'oh, it's just a loose wire mate

The AA will get it to either JAPEX or the local garage, I'll need to sort out getting it back, shoud it be bad news. 

I feel it would be a bit daft to give up and put it on the market for salvage at THIS stage.

Here's the other question: Has anyone used JAPEX recently / any other Hertfordshire recommendations? Any mobile Hybrid mechanics? 

THANKS!

 

CODES.thumb.jpg.544d97b5b7ad98aca992c47551a6aadc.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tagmaster said:

Here's the question: Will a proper code read reveal a subcode that says 'oh, it's just a loose wire mate

Yes, it could very well just be a loose/dirty connection or broken wire.

For instance, if you look at P0A78-284 in the workshop manual, there's a column that gives the possible trouble area in order of likelihood, the highest possibility being first in the list:


image.thumb.png.d1bb16d3c8f63fc000fdbff5cd40acbc.png


If you then go to the end column and click where it says 'Click Here' you get a whole raft of possible causes with Good/No Good flowcharts and other stuff


image.thumb.png.bf536add8732841c146850e631df7acf.png


image.thumb.png.067e4483657cf58872964c47ed4de7eb.png


image.thumb.png.4aa9b76eeb9e0f074e0f18e626f7b90f.png


This is why you really need these subcodes in order to make any meaningful diagnosis.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Yes, it could very well just be a loose/dirty connection or broken wire.

For instance, if you look at P0A78-284 in the workshop manual, there's a column that gives the possible trouble area in order of likelihood, the highest possibility being first in the list:


image.thumb.png.d1bb16d3c8f63fc000fdbff5cd40acbc.png


If you then go to the end column and click where it says 'Click Here' you get a whole raft of possible causes with Good/No Good flowcharts and other stuff


image.thumb.png.bf536add8732841c146850e631df7acf.png


image.thumb.png.067e4483657cf58872964c47ed4de7eb.png


image.thumb.png.4aa9b76eeb9e0f074e0f18e626f7b90f.png


This is why you really need these subcodes in order to make any meaningful diagnosis.

Absolutely makes sense AND gives me hope! Thanks for that. I'll try again with Techstream and get it to a garage in the week if that's a fail. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership