Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New member looking for IS250 as first Lexus

On 10/16/2021 at 8:26 PM, Mr Vlad said:

If the car is advertised as a SE-L and it doesn't have ML then it's not a SE-L. Lexus's DAB is rather rubbish at best. No owner has anything positive to say about it that I've seen. The SE-L has an aux socket in the armrest cubby hole. Plugging in a Bluetooth adapter means you can then use your phone as a music player as I do.

Sorry, this is not correct. 
The Mark Levinsion system that came with the Multimedia system was available as a option across the entire range from launch until the MY 2011 facelift and was not standard on any grade.  So it is possible to buy an SE-L without the ML system. 
MY 2011 cars and onwards were only available  with the Full Map option which is essentially the Multimedia system minus the Mark Levinsion stereo 

Then there is a conflict of information regarding ML in SE-L spec is250 cars. You state not all SE-L is250 have ML and its been stated on here by a number of members over the years with pasted spec sheets stating options that they do. Who's right and who's wrong I've no idea. All I know is the number of SE-L is250 cars I've seen have all got ML.

5 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Then there is a conflict of information regarding ML in SE-L spec is250 cars. You state not all SE-L is250 have ML and its been stated on here by a number of members over the years with pasted spec sheets stating options that they do. Who's right and who's wrong I've no idea. All I know is the number of SE-L is250 cars I've seen have all got ML.

right, my 2008 SE-L model had ML out of the box - it was option in the F Sports and such

I have a few brochures that came with my car that list equipment, prices, options etc.

They're specific to MY2011 and suggest that at that point in time, only the IS-F or IS250C SE-L Premier could have Multimedia (Mark Levinson).

All other grades, "Full Map Navigation" was the only option - including SE-L saloon.

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

This was the case then we were looking to buy a brand new  SE-L from the dealer back in 2008.  The multimedia system was not standard on any 2IS other than the ISF.  Below are multiple examples of SE-L cars current for sale with no Multimedia system fitted (easily identified by no screen in the centre console), so no ML. For clarity they all have the wood trim  that’s only fitted on the  SE- L grade and some adverts also show the rear blind button and head light washers indicating HIDs fitted, which are also exclusive to the SE-L trim.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

1 hour ago, Thelongterm said:

I tested SEL's without the nav/ml combo but never saw pre 2011 one that only had the nav without the ML.

Before the 2009 facelift, the navigation system was only available as the Multimedia option which included the screen, nav, reversing camera and Mark Levinsion audio upgrade. After the 2009 facelift you could still opt for the above, but there was also a cut down version, giving  you the nav and rear camera system but without the ML sound system. This was known as the ‘Full  Map’ option. From the 2011 facelift, the Full Map option was the only option remaining as the ML system was dropped from all models apart from the ISF. There will be some ‘11’ plate cars around with the ML system but they will be pre MY11 facelift cars registered in 2011.

It is possible that the 2009-2010 SE-L were only available with the full blown Multimedia system and the Full Map version was reserved for the lower spec grades. 

• Like 1

If the sight of the real wood trim bugs you that much and you are a bit handy on the tools then all inserts are removable and can be vinyl wrapped or hydro-dipped to your liking!

EEFD7F3E-B0C0-4FB3-86A7-0EC6C45A56B9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Texas said:

If the sight of the real wood trim bugs you that much and you are a bit handy on the tools then all inserts are removable and can be vinyl wrapped or hydro-dipped to your liking!

EEFD7F3E-B0C0-4FB3-86A7-0EC6C45A56B9.jpeg

My thoughts exactly! I might go down that route. Is that what you've done in the pic?

Cheers

8 hours ago, F.A. said:

This was the case then we were looking to buy a brand new  SE-L from the dealer back in 2008.  The multimedia system was not standard on any 2IS other than the ISF.  Below are multiple examples of SE-L cars current for sale with no Multimedia system fitted (easily identified by no screen in the centre console), so no ML. For clarity they all have the wood trim  that’s only fitted on the  SE- L grade and some adverts also show the rear blind button and head light washers indicating HIDs fitted, which are also exclusive to the SE-L trim.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

As you say, what I've been doing is zooming in on the pics in ads looking for buttons that show which options and headlights are fitted and looking for the ML logo on the audio. Also indicators in the door mirrors to establish if it's a facelift car. As an aside there are up to 3 buttons in the lower dash on the right. One is for the rear shade, one for headlight washers but what's the the one on the left for with a wiper symbol and jagged line through it? Heated screen? 

Cheers  

5 minutes ago, NeilS said:

It turns on a heating element in the windscreen which melts any frost in cold weather, to protect the wiper blades ie. it prevents them sticking to the glass. 

Ok, thanks.

5 hours ago, RolandK said:

My thoughts exactly! I might go down that route. Is that what you've done in the pic?

Cheers

No not me, that was posted by ‘Bongo’ here…

Went to see the car today and all good apart from the absence of the usb port I was expecting as it's a 2009 facelift SE L with the ML audio.  I need the full functionality to play and control the music on a usb stick but can't see any way of doing this without changing the whole unit which is probably neither financially or technically viable,,?

Sounds like the car in question, could be an early facelift as I don't think the earliest examples had the USB port.

Anyway, for me, USB playback is inferior to streaming via Bluetooth.

With USB, you do have the advantage of being able to access tracks and folders on the touchscreen, but I find the pauses between each track annoying.

It's especially jarring when listening to something where the tracks are supposed to flow into each other,  such as a DJ set, concert or whatever.

If you store the same album on your phone and stream it over Bluetooth, there are no pauses.

6 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Sounds like the car in question, could be an early facelift as I don't think the earliest examples had the USB port.

Anyway, for me, USB playback is inferior to streaming via Bluetooth.

With USB, you do have the advantage of being able to access tracks and folders on the touchscreen, but I find the pauses between each track annoying.

It's especially jarring when listening to something where the tracks are supposed to flow into each other,  such as a DJ set, concert or whatever.

If you store the same album on your phone and stream it over Bluetooth, there are no pauses.

Interesting. I thought the Bluetooth was just for phone calls. If I can play music from the phone too at the same time that gives me a workable option.

Thanks

2 hours ago, RolandK said:

Went to see the car today and all good apart from the absence of the usb port I was expecting as it's a 2009 facelift SE L with the ML audio.  I need the full functionality to play and control the music on a usb stick but can't see any way of doing this without changing the whole unit which is probably neither financially or technically viable,,?

The main thing to identify is the type of infotainment you have, some 2009 vehicles were pre facelift and some 2009s were facelift. easiest way to tell is by the loon of the infotainment, if it’s silver / white you’ve got the facelift one (I’ll attach a photo for good measure)  

I have a IS250 SE-L from 2009 and this does support usb audio, the port is located in the centre storage console next to the 12V cigarette socket. 

91B5903F-77DD-42ED-8EC4-BF5C0AAE82DC.png

36 minutes ago, RolandK said:

Thanks. But it doesn't mean it's got usb though,?

No, it appears that the addition of a USB input doesn’t exactly coincide with that facelift year. 

I decided to pass on the SE L I went to see but now a 2010 F Sport for sale at a Lexus dealer has caught my eye. 77,000 on the clock. Haven't been to see it yet but it looks ok with a good spec and the connectivity I am looking for plus the ML system. Obviously the car comes with Satnav but not sure how out of date or useable it is. I understand the F Sport has a rather hard ride. If anyone knows how one of these drives I'd be grateful for any opinions/info.

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links