Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2006 IS250 Mark Levinson Bluetooth audio options

I've recenely bought a 2006 IS250 with the Mark Levinson sound system and would really like the ability to play Bluetooth audio from my mobile which will be used for satnav and audio. Does anyone have any reccomendations in regards to this, as I don't really think I can afford a Vline 2 for what it is.

8 hours ago, BeepBeep said:

I've recenely bought a 2006 IS250 with the Mark Levinson sound system and would really like the ability to play bluetooth audio from my mobile which will be used for satnav and audio. Does anyone have any reccomendations in regards to this, as I don't really think I can afford a Vline 2 for what it is.

Easiest option is to buy a pretty bog standard aux to Bluetooth adapter and that should give you pretty good functionality. I don’t think steering wheel controls will work so you could consider one with physical buttons to allow you to change track aswell as other Bluetooth options. 

UGREEN Bluetooth Aux Adapter Car Aux Bluetooth v5.0 Receiver Wireless USB Audio Adaptor with 3.5mm jack for Car / Home Stereo Music Streaming Built-in Microphone Plug & Play Auto on Handsfree Car Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081GGB53R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_T218KPAY0PBHHNSTKB19?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There is also a way to retrofit somewhat native Bluetooth into the IS250 stereo also via a product like this, I’ll link to the forum member who mentioned this. 

• Like 1

I've had one of these installed since July 2019 and its been perfect

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NACN8PY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use my phone mounted for Waze Satnav which integrates with Tunein (or amazon Music).
It sits in the cubby hole under the armrest, in fact I don't think I've touched it since it was installed.

Phone connects to it automatically on start up.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:14 AM, chr15gb said:

I've had one of these installed since July 2019 and its been perfect

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NACN8PY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use my phone mounted for Waze Satnav which integrates with Tunein (or Amazon Music).
It sits in the cubby hole under the armrest, in fact I don't think I've touched it since it was installed.

Phone connects to it automatically on start up.

How's the audio quality through this?

17 hours ago, LittleCasper said:

No problems at all.

I'm a radio listener though, not an audiophile but it is clear enough for me. No dropouts or fades, it just works.

On 12/7/2021 at 10:57 PM, LittleCasper said:

I had a Bluetooth adapter set up in the armrest and found the bass was lacking. Albeit the adapter I had was the cheapest I could find on eBay - £5 I think. Went with the integrated Bluetooth version that plugs into the back of your stereo and the sound is great now. 95% of the time I play music on spotify and the quality is amazing. Only time I find it lacking is when I play radio from my phone from 3rd party apps like tune in. So take into consideration the source you're playing from.

If you're not too fusy about bass levels I'd say go for the armrest setup. some people going this way reported some buzzing due to the grounding wire of the car/stereo but a £4 ground noise loop isolator would fix this if it occurs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403271547163?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28 

If you fancy fiddling about with the stereo go for the integrated version. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zoricib said:

I had a bluetooth adapter set up in the armrest and found the bass was lacking. Albeit the adapter I had was the cheapest I could find on Ebay - £5 I think. Went with the integrated bluetooth version that plugs into the back of your stereo and the sound is great now. 95% of the time I play music on spotify and the quality is amazing. Only time I find it lacking is when I play radio from my phone from 3rd party apps like tune in. So take into consideration the source you're playing from.

If you're not too fusy about bass levels I'd say go for the armrest setup. some people going this way reported some buzzing due to the grounding wire of the car/stereo but a £4 ground noise loop isolator would fix this if it occurs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403271547163?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28 

If you fancy fiddling about with the stereo go for the integrated version. 

Do you have a link to the integrated one.

2 minutes ago, LittleCasper said:

Do you have a link to the integrated one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JN9MD28/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253946448924?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

looks like it's not in stock anymore on ebay/amazon but try emailing the sellers or have another look online

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zoricib said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VYSZ8S2/ref=emc_b_5_t

looks like this is the new version with microphone - not sure the mic needed though as for calls the car's bluetooth kicks in, so check if you can install it without the mic

Looks good, the nearest grom usb unit is £130

4 hours ago, zoricib said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VYSZ8S2/ref=emc_b_5_t

looks like this is the new version with microphone - not sure the mic needed though as for calls the car's bluetooth kicks in, so check if you can install it without the mic

This is absolutely the best way to get BT connection in older IS250, for under £40 this amazing value and does exactly who needed, without overcomplicating things like GROM - no more no less. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LittleCasper said:

Looks good, the nearest grom usb unit is £130

just take your time with taking the stereo out as the top of the dash above the vents is very easily damaged. watch a few Youtube videos first and be patient (like I wish I was)...

I use the armrest setup as I I wouldn't trust myself to fiddle with the stereo without breaking something. 

My setup consist of the UGreen BT to 3.5mm receiver via ground loop box, with the speakers set to 'Front' and the bass to +1 it seems to play Spotify almost perfectly, certainly better than our other car (2010 Avensis). Maybe it is not well defined but the Ugreen BT has a mic built in and taking calls is a doddle with good surprising good quality (well no one complaint that they can't hear me so far).

I also don't trust myself to fiddle with the Nav unit so bought one of these last week from amazon[Have a look] 

Audio (Via Spotify) is fantastic as is call quality, and tracks can be skipped, paused etc. HOWEVER I am getting a irritating whining sound every so often which rises in pitch as the cars speed increases. Just ordered a ground noise loop isolator so hopefully that does the trick. 

OP i'll keep you posted. 

On 12/13/2021 at 1:26 PM, eleveneleven said:

I also don't trust myself to fiddle with the Nav unit so bought one of these last week from Amazon. [Have a look] 

Audio (Via Spotify) is fantastic as is call quality, and tracks can be skipped, paused etc. HOWEVER I am getting a irritating whining sound every so often which rises in pitch as the cars speed increases. Just ordered a ground noise loop isolator so hopefully that does the trick. 

OP i'll keep you posted. 

The ground noise loop isolator works a treat, (Thanks @zoricib) no reduction in sound quality it all seems to be well. 

• 5 months later...

To be honest I am suprised no one has mentioned the FM Transmitter made by UNBREAKable https://www.amazon.co.uk/LENCENT-Transmitter-Wireless-Bluetooth-Lossless/dp/B08L3WX26S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=16PQI2EMMAURL&keywords=unbreakable+bluetooth+fm+transmitter+car&qid=1654987479&sprefix=unbreakable+bluetoo%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTVFPNVlDRFlLR0tBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzI2NDgzMlZPSzVMSUhHNEREVyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTI0NTQwMUsySENITURIQUpFQSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Its been receiving glowing reviews however I am sure a low hum exists in some cases which I am aware dissapears once you turn volume up, if it doesnt will a background loop mentioned earlier by @zoricib do the job? The link he provided isnt returning any results.

Those kind of units have a HUGE drawback. A reliance on a good FM signal which nowadays is as rare as hens teeth. I use to use one like that about 10 years ago when a few unused FM frequencies were available. Now they're not. How they're getting lots of good reviews is beyond me, obviously not from within the UK and more likely false reviews. 

Vlad has a point, but to be fair if you don't travel long distances and can lock onto a local unused frequency then the cigarette lighter transmitter works fine. I think it's when you do a lot of long journeys or live in a tricky location that the wavelength might become a problem.

I bought this Victsing back in Feb '21 for a mere £12.99 and have experienced no problems whatsoever.  I believe the term is 'horses for courses' ...

1289817493_VicTsingFM.thumb.jpg.9cce2104a97a647ddf1ef6b341b35513.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links