Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stolen Car-How to deal with insurance company?

On Friday my car was stolen from the Morrisons car park while I was shopping in there- I was only in there for 30 minutes but enough time for someone to take it. It was one o'clock in the afternoon and there were plenty of people around so a very competent or cheeky thief. I don't know how they took it because the car was double locked and when I returned to where my car was there was no sign of any broken glass on the ground.

Luckily it was my spare car ( I need a second car incase my main car is off the road so I can still get around) but I still need to either get it back or get another car pretty quickly.

The car was/is a 2004 Ford Mondeo Ghia X Estate with 112000 miles but in totally mint condition with a full main dealer service history. I bought it on eBay in June this year and paid £1900 for it. It is NOTHING like a lexus but runs very well for what it is.

I've got a crime reference from the police and reported it to my insurance company (Hastings) who said their theft department will contact me within 48 hours.

I have never had a car stolen before or had to make an insurance claim so I am concerned as to what silly offer they are likely to make me as I am sure their "market" value will be unrealistically low. I have only driven about 400 miles since I have bought it so the value will not have decreased at all.

I hope you don't mind me asking for advice here when it isn't my Lexus but I'm hoping somebody may have some experience of how to best deal with an insurance company so they don't screw me over.

Thanks

Andy

3 hours ago, AndyCheltenham1 said:

I am concerned as to what silly offer they are likely to make me as I am sure their "market" value will be unrealistically low

You don’t have to take the first offer, you can reject it and make your case for a better offer. Pictures of the condition, mileage, work carried out will help and also any for sale with similar mileage and condition as examples of what you would need to pay to replace it.

20 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

You don’t have to take the first offer, you can reject it and make your case for a better offer. Pictures of the condition, mileage, work carried out will help and also any for sale with similar mileage and condition as examples of what you would need to pay to replace it.

This raises a very good point as any of us could be in this situation.  Unfortunately, possibly too late if not already done in this case.  You could ask Morrisons if they have any CCTV that shows your vehicle and the person taking it.  If so it might help the Police identify the thief who seems to have done a professional job.

Actually making a claim is the acid test for the insurance company, it doesn’t matter that they beat any quote, offer free excess or give you a stuffed meerkat every renewal.

What does matter is a timely response and a fair and reasonable settlement, they always come to the table with an insulting offer (their own “Market Value”).

If you still have access to the eBay details, particularly photographs submit them to show the condition of the car, there is one on eBay at the moment with 124k, FSH at £2995.00.

Also bear in mind used car prices have been on the increase too.

Hopefully you don’t have to resort to another Battle of Hastings.

Good to hear the police have completed their investigations by way of a crime number....that’s why crimes does pay!

8 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

This raises a very good point as any of us could be in this situation.  Unfortunately, possibly too late if not already done in this case.  You could ask Morrisons if they have any CCTV that shows your vehicle and the person taking it.  If so it might help the Police identify the thief who seems to have done a professional job.

More unfortunately Barry is that Morrison’s are very unlikely to provide any CCTV footage due to Data Protection it normally requires a request from the police. The police have of course concluded the investigation by providing a crime number....case closed....unsolved...file under statistics.

Had the police actually investigated and identified the thief then the CPS took it to court it would have been another slap on the wrist for the 120th offence!

As Paul says, you might need to prove your case for an increased offer from the insurers, including the service history and details of any work done above and beyond any service requirements. Did the seller give you a wad of paperwork with the car, because that would help prove it has been looked after properly? Hopefully the MoT history speaks for itself. Insurers used to use Glass's Guide, but I'm not sure that would still be relevant for a 15 year old car.

Any details of optional extras fitted will also help.

Perhaps you could check on a car buying website to get a worst case scenario.

In any event, you will probably have to wait a few weeks in case the car is recovered.

54 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

And ask for a price on the Ford Mondeo Ghia website !👍

Thanks for comments.

I didn't buy the car locally, I had to travel over 100 miles to get it, so it wouldn't be the previous owner with a spare key.  I spoke to a duty manager at Morrisons who said the CCTV only covers a limited part of the car park but at the time of the theft it wasn't working at all either inside or outside the store. 

My service book was in the glovebox at the time but I have the eBay advert which details all the service history and the previous owner has spent a lot of money over his 3 years of ownership and he supplied a spreadsheet/receipts of work done including an invoice where he took a sample of oil and sent it to a laboratory to be analyzed to access the condition of the engine-he went way over the top on maintenance and really looked after the car.

I know from searching for insurance for my LS400 some of the insurers have already filled in the value of the car for you and the value of the LS400 was put at £400!! I wish I could buy one for that price.

Hastings have said that once one of their "expert engineers" comes up with a value then the claim would be settled within 5 working days. I did see the car for sale at  £2995 and at the time I bought it dealers were asking much higher prices than lower spec mondeos so it is a fairly rare car.

I don't think I will get the car back, or at least in a decent condition. It took me 2 months to find this car as every car I went to see was not as described and only fit for the scrapheap. Any suggestions for a replacement car up to about £2000 which would be reliable and decent to drive??

Andy

Ooops put this reply on the wrong thread.

My GS300 is likely up for sale from tomorrow depending on the MOT of my returned Lexus LS400.  PM me if you would like the honest details which I have prepared but yet to advertise.  Don't need two Cars.   (Just done a 1200 miles journey in it as you may have read alsewhere) 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links