Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

is220d , car shakes

Stan771

Hey guys, I bought a 2006 Lexus is220d ,  with around 255k km or 160k miles on it.
the car runs perfectly fine(Been having some AC issues , but nothing mechanical yet.) and I'm commuting a good 250km every single day. However I've noticed that at certain RPMS when the car has been warmed up that it starts to shake lightly to moderately strong.

Say if I'm in 5th or 6th gear and I stay around 2000-2500rpm it starts to shake pretty badly.
Usually if I'm under or over those RPMS it shakes much less if not at all which is why I'm trying to avoid them but still. If any one can give me tips&hints to what the issue might be. I'd be very thankful!

(PS I'm not 100% certain if it only does it when the engine is warm , I'll update you guys)
Thanks!

Welcome Stan 🙂

First, that is a hell of a commute you have there!

What you describe is certainly unusual as I am not sure I have come across one like that before.  Normally it is at lower RPM (<2000) when problems occur, so, other than the usual suspects - EGR valve & DPF - it might be something like fuel injectors.

Unfortunately, to diagnose most of these problems, you would need something like TechStream.  Available for not much cost on eBay, but I am not sure if you are that way inclined.

In the first instance, I would consider a clean of the EGR valve since it doesn't cost much and can be easily done.  If that doesn't help then you can move on to more difficult causes.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi Stan and welcome to the LOC.

As Shahpor has already mentioned and being temperature related I would take a look at the EGR valve first, just google Lexus IS220d EGR cleaning and there are some excellent video tutorials on how to do this job yourself with a few basic tools.

It could of course be a few other things but let’s start with the most common and cheapest cause.

Could it be DMF... considering it does that at certain RPM/Gear... although I would expect that to happen regardless if engine is warm or not if it would be DMF.

Warm car at 2500RPM and 5/6th gear could be right conditions for DPF regen, it shouldn't shake the car just put some smoke from exhaust. How long it was doing it? Because considering you doing 250km/day, it should have regenerated probably in single day or two at most. 

Hey! Thank you all for the replies.

A bit more info on the car. I got it around 2-3 months ago , the previous owner had completely renewed the EGR Valve before selling it to me and because the car had stayed for a good month or two without moving it was smoking a tiny bit blue from the back(Which after doing a bit of reading I think that the DPF was in the regenerative process).

However after driving it on the Highway for a day or two. It completely dissapeared , its only sometime silvery-/white-ish during the first couple of minutes after I start it in the winter time and then it doesn't smoke at all which is completely normal. I also get around 30-34MPG between driving in the city and highway.

The car also isn't unruly , doesn't shakes when idling. I drove it to the mechanic today to change my filters cause after checking them they were quite dirty. During my ride I noticed that it also does it in third and fourth gear too around the same RPMS albeit not as bad as in 5th and 6th, its barely noticeable. I don't think its the DPF or the EGR. 

As for the DMF! I don't have a lot of information on that, the clutch itself is a bit worn and I hear minimal noise when shifting into 1rst or reverse when I'm idling beforehand, but otherwise no difficulty getting into any of the gears themselves.

It is a good point regarding the DMF and mounts, if it doesn't turn out to be something simpler.

In my case, my IS220d was juddering badly as the car was moving off, but didn't do it after that, so it isn't an exact match.  Although, after changing the DMF on mine it turned out to be the engine mounts in the end.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links