Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Prototype EV Battery gives 750 mile Range

NemesisUK

7 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

.... cars are minor contributor to climate change and whole issue is overblown

Just tackling the main contributor isn't enough - everything that contributes should be looked at and improved. There is the issue of air quality too, where vehicles are a larger contributor.

• Like 2

Also, fossil fuels are running out - or at least becoming more difficult, and expensive, to extract. There has to be another solution eventually, either because sea levels will rise and we’ll all drown or because we’ll run out of oil (depending on your viewpoint, obviously).

3 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Just tackling the main contributor isn't enough - everything that contributes should be looked at and improved. There is the issue of air quality too, where vehicles are a larger contributor.

Agreed, but air quality in the city has nothing to do with climate change. Conflating the issues does not help to address either. BEVs are indeed helping with city air quality, but at the cost of making it worse for climate change.

As well, please admit that currently nothing is being done with main contributor, which basically is consumerism + manufacturing sector. Cars on other hand are portrayed in the way as if they are main issue, which they are not. 

Just o illustrate my example - many governments are looking to ban ICEVs between 2025 and 2050, yet I have not seen any proposal, and certainly no firm deadlines for banning coal power plants, or banning industrial processes which are way more pollution. 

As such I think it is fair to say that motorists are used as scapegoats, because there is disproportionate focus on minor contributor like cars and complete lack of focus on industrial complex which is like 40% of all pollution. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Probably best to ignore you, because having meaningful debate with person who misconstructs and misquotes everything is pointless.

Thank you, that would great, now stick to it. 😁

2 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Just o illustrate my example - many governments are looking to ban ICEVs between 2025 and 2050, yet I have not seen any proposal, and certainly no firm deadlines for banning coal power plants, or banning industrial processes which are way more pollution. 

We’re you asleep at the beginning of November?

https://ukcop26.org/end-of-coal-in-sight-at-cop26/

5 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Also, fossil fuels are running out - or at least becoming more difficult, and expensive, to extract. There has to be another solution eventually, either because sea levels will rise and we’ll all drown or because we’ll run out of oil (depending on your viewpoint, obviously).

That was the claim ~20 years ago i.e. that crude oil will run out by 2100. Yet we have even less lithium which will run out much sooner.

Not only that, but fuel suitable for ICEV can be made from any organic material, recycled plastics etc. So it is in itself "renewable". Lithium isn't and there is just finite amount of Lithium on earth. The amount we have is not enough to replace all cars even once, never mind to be sustainable replacement for all vehicles.

So if we go Lithium BEV way there are only two options:

1. Car becomes exclusive and rare, fundamentally restricting masses from private ownership and creating two tier society
  2. It continues to be used with other types of technologies, ICEV, HCEV etc. But currently that is not the case as ICEV will be banned soon and HCEV infrastructure is nowhere near ready 

That was quite a fete set by that modified Tesla model S. 750 miles on a single charge. Outstanding. Wonder how long it takes to charge. 

Re charging and to what percentage to charge to. Colin stated earlier about the Nio car briefly. Yes it's a Chinese car But launched in Norway. I first saw this Nio on fifth gear recharge. Its the car I'd have if I had the money. This particular car need never be charged by the owner. Why? Because Nio have a number of Battery hubs where you take the car to one after its been booked in. You park close to the hub entrance, press a button on your phone or car and the car drives itself (reverses) into the bay. The car is then clamped in position. Just 3 or 4 minutes later a message on the dash says go and away you go for another few hundred miles. The Battery has been swapped for a charged one. That's a brilliant system but whether it'll come to the UK is to be seen. 

There's been too much stated on threads such as this regarding BEV's and the good and bad of them and batteries range and charge rates. Its ruddy BORING. The initial post should be applauded not ridiculed.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links