Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Doh, dead battery incident

Just a heads up for any RCF or GSF owner. I don't use my car much as I may have said in the past (less than a 1000 miles between MOT's) Anyway last Saturday I took it out for a spin one to use it and second the old fuel remaining may have gone off.

The car was a bit hesitant starting due to very low Battery no doubt turned up at Sainsbury's to buy some Super Unleaded went to start it nothing at all dead as a door nail.

What I hadn't realised was that with the car in park and no power I could not shift it into neutral to get the staff to push it out of the way as you are not allowed to jump start vehicles on a petrol forecourt. 

I had the genius idea of getting a spare Battery connect it to the cigarette socket to get it live and put it in neutral so as to push the car out of the way but no it didn't allow me to do that no response at all.

In the end I had to run a small lead through the door to connect under the bonnet to get it into neutral, then the staff pushed me to a safe place to jump start it.

Was I being dumb not knowing how to shift the lever into neutral? If there isn't a way of doing it owners should know that at least at a petrol station you could be stuffed.

I've since bought a NOCO X GB50 plus NOCO Battery lead which is now fitted to the car should the same happen again.

I am not sure if Battery has to have charge for this (seems like you need to be in accessory mode), but there is gear lock hole next to gear knob. You need to use key blade (or similar) to unlock the shifter and it should allow to shift into N. 

image.thumb.png.deebcab6777c063b9e37a7f9c3114bc8.png

41 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

Was I being dumb not knowing how to shift the lever into neutral?

Dumb? I don't know but one of my pet hates is people who don't read their owners manual :whistling:

I'm assuming that your car is equipped with a 'shift lock' as all my RXs have been? All you needed to do was press it in and you could have moved the gear lever. In the photo below you just pry up that cap and press the shift lock button that it reveals:

shiftlock.thumb.jpg.f3901268b346543d0263d9deaa1f4c61.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Dumb? I don't know but one of my pet hates is people who don't read their owners manual :whistling:

I'm assuming that your car is equipped with a 'shift lock' as all my RXs have been? All you needed to do was press it in and you could have moved the gear lever. In the photo below you just pry up that cap and press the shift lock button that it reveals:

To be honest on older models it was more obvious, it was just a button and it said "shift lock" which was very apparent of what it does and it would work anytime regardless if Battery is even connected, but I agree that reading owners manual is always good idea.

One thing I am not sure about is that it states "car has to be in accessory mode", so question is whenever it would work if Battery is totally dead.

• Like 1

That was the first thing I looked at as it was next to the shift lever, didn't have anything to open it though. Did try the key but too thick and didn't want to damage the plastic by forcing it.

Unfortunately didn't get the chance to see if accessory mode changed the situation. I was surprised that the cigarette socket didn't send a current though.

28 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I am not sure if battery has to have charged for this (seems like you need to be in accessory mode), but there is gear lock hole next to gear knob. You need to use key blade (or similar) to unlock the shifter and it should allow to shift into N. 

image.thumb.png.deebcab6777c063b9e37a7f9c3114bc8.png

It does say it has to be in accessory mode but does this work with a completely dead Battery?

Think I might disconnect the Battery and try.

2 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

It does say it has to be in accessory mode but does this work with a completely dead battery?

On older cars it did, never tried it in RC with dead Battery, but it worked when I was detailing my car and wanted to move shifter in stationary car with engine off. Can't remember if car was ACC or IG mode, but I think it was completely off. 

2 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

It does say it has to be in accessory mode but does this work with a completely dead battery?

Think I might disconnect the battery and try.

I suppose different models could be different, but my 2018 RX didn't need to be in ACC mode when I recently stripped out my centre console. In fact, the Power button was in the house so I couldn't have put it into ACC anyway :thumbsup:

grom3.thumb.jpg.02593c345e780464babe65d0a7095082.jpg

• Haha 1

Just now, Herbie said:

I suppose different models could be different, but my 2018 RX didn't need to be in ACC mode when I recently stripped out my centre console. In fact, the Power button was in the house so I couldn't have put it into ACC anyway :thumbsup:

grom3.thumb.jpg.02593c345e780464babe65d0a7095082.jpg

Wow... what caused this explosion!

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

On older cars it did, never tried it in RC. 

It surely must work because otherwise you would have to get the car lifted away from the petrol pump.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

It surely must work because otherwise you would have to get the car lifted away from the petrol pump.

From the RC300h handbook..

The following steps may be used as an
emergency measure to ensure that the shift
lever can be shifted.
Releasing the shift lock:
1 Set the parking brake.
2 Turn the power switch off.
3 Depress the brake pedal.
4 Pry the cover up with a flathead screwdriver or equivalent tool.
To prevent damage to the cover, cover the
tip of the screwdriver with a rag.

Press the shift lock override button. The shift lever can be shifted while the button is pressed.

2 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

From the RC300h handbook..

The following steps may be used as an
emergency measure to ensure that the shift
lever can be shifted.
Releasing the shift lock:
1 Set the parking brake.
2 Turn the power switch off.
3 Depress the brake pedal.
4 Pry the cover up with a flathead screwdriver or equivalent tool.
To prevent damage to the cover, cover the
tip of the screwdriver with a rag.

Press the shift lock override button. The shift lever can be shifted while the button is pressed.

So I'm guessing from that info the button must have a mechanical connection

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Here's a question for you Herbie. I've read the manual cover to cover, always do, and while that procedure is in there they are vague about the EPB. If the 12v Battery is dead, does operating the shift lock release release the EPB?

Only thing I found outside of the manual was this, and it seems the answer was no on an NX and to release requires removing the wheel. (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-1st-gen-2015-2021/950980-how-to-manually-release-parking-brake-when-battery-is-dead.html) Seriously what was wrong with the manual handbrake?!

6 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

So I'm guessing from that info the button must have a mechanical connection

And step, 3 Depress the brake pedal, is simply a safety thing to stop the car moving, rather than the usual electrical signal to release the shift lever?

3 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

And step, 3 Depress the brake pedal, is simply a safety thing to stop the car moving, rather than the usual electrical signal to release the shift lever?

Either way it will never happen again as I have the NOCO starter pack and I've wired the optional accessory connection pack to the Battery in the RCF.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, B1RMA said:

Either way it will never happen again as I have the NOCO starter pack and I've wired the optional accessory connection pack to the battery in the RCF.

Which NOCO did you get?

1 minute ago, NemesisUK said:

Which NOCO did you get?

Boost XL GB50, did ponder getting a couple of the lower output units to stick in my vans as Halfords have them for £99 the GB 50 is a lot more powerful but still compact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GB50 seems to be the one to get. I have purchased GB40 jump pack and GENIUS1UK charger, but it was mistake. GB40 jump starter can't even turn over IS250 and GENIUS1UK is only rated to charge batteries up-to 30AH, meaning it took me 6-days to charge 85AH Battery

I think I will return both and just get NOCO GENIUS5UK charger. Jumps starter if less relevant is Battery is maintained, so I reckon I better keep it charged than let it die and then use jump starter. 

7 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

GB50 seems to be the one to get. I have purchased GB40 jump pack and GENIUS1UK charger, but it was mistake. GB40 jump starter can't even turn over IS250 and GENIUS1UK is only rated to charge batteries up-to 30AH, meaning it took me 6-days to charge 85AH battery. 

I think I will return both and just get NOCO GENIUS5UK charger. Jumps starter is less relevant is battery is maintained, so I reckon I better keep it charged than let it die and then use jump starter. 

I agree, in fact I bought a new CTEK MXS5 from amazon as it was on offer at £65 does AGM batteries, very nice unit,  I have two very old CTEK units so time for an upgrade. Also bought three comfort indicator kits and put them on my vehicles that way very easy to connect and you have a flashing indictor of your batteries charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B1RMA said:

I'd be inclined to agree. Surely the whole point is that it's an override that can be used when the car is dead and you need to get it into neutral.

Don't we get a flathead screwdriver and a few other tools under the floor in the boot tray? I'm sure that would fit.

41 minutes ago, peniole said:

Here's a question for you Herbie. I've read the manual cover to cover, always do, and while that procedure is in there they are vague about the EPB. If the 12v battery is dead, does operating the shift lock release release the EPB?

Only thing I found outside of the manual was this, and it seems the answer was no on an NX and to release requires removing the wheel. (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-1st-gen-2015-2021/950980-how-to-manually-release-parking-brake-when-battery-is-dead.html) Seriously what was wrong with the manual handbrake?!

Good point my friend, I'd forgotten about the EPB.

I'm with you on this one, why change from manual parking brake? Nothing wrong with a manual one and I do wonder if the electronic ones are a case of technology just for the sake of it rather than it being a real improvement.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob RCF said:

I'd be inclined to agree. Surely the whole point is that it's an override that can be used when the car is dead and you need to get it into neutral.

Don't we get a flathead screwdriver and a few other tools under the floor in the boot tray? I'm sure that would fit.

There probably is a screwdriver in the kit, not really a very good defence but I was not having a good Saturday and logic seemed to go out of the window. I was somewhat disappointed about the cigarette socket not feeding power into the system perhaps modern cars don't allow this.

8 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

cigarette socket not feeding power into the system perhaps modern cars don't allow this.

It depends. Some cars have direct connection even when off, others only when ACC on, or only when IG is on. Or combination of some sockets working on some modes, whilst other don't.

Lexus seems to only allow some ports to work on ACC and some on IG. Although in this case I can't see rationale for using socket - after all it feeds from Battery which is already dead. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links