Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cyclists, new Highway Code rules

mdj8

22 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Too true! Happiness should not be your goal but instead, contentment. This comes about  not by getting what you want but wanting what you already have, and more importantly remembering why you wanted it in the first place. 😎

Thats pretty deep for a Lexus forum, but very true. How often do we achieve what we never thought possible and then when we do just accept it and re-focus on the next goal. As you say it's important to reflect on why those goals existed which invariably have to do with being content and or helping others (say your children) towards being content. The subtleties of the U.K. culture (as opposed to the U.S. where gloating is acceptible or Asia where money is worshipped no matter how you acquired it) helps balance and ground this so that you never admit to being content and certainly never boast or gloat about it. People tend to see through youtube "influencers" who take pictures draped across other peoples cars or whilst on other peoples boats. If at the end of the day pedalling a bike is what makes you happy - go for it. Just don't hold others up whilst doing so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mdj8 said:

Thats pretty deep for a Lexus forum, but very true. How often do we achieve what we never thought possible and then when we do just accept it and re-focus on the next goal. As you say it's important to reflect on why those goals existed which invariably have to do with being content and or helping others (say your children) towards being content. The subtleties of the U.K. culture (as opposed to the U.S. where gloating is acceptible or Asia where money is worshipped no matter how you acquired it) helps balance and ground this so that you never admit to being content and certainly never boast or gloat about it. People tend to see through youtube "influencers" who take pictures draped across other peoples cars or whilst on other peoples boats. If at the end of the day pedalling a bike is what makes you happy - go for it. Just don't hold others up whilst doing so.

Heavy but true.

12 hours ago, mdj8 said:

Love the word gloat 😎, not heard it in ages, I shall try to use it down the pub 🍻

12 hours ago, mdj8 said:

That's a great comment Matt. I always taught my two children to do the work then form an opinion that is yours not someone else giving you theirs and craftily making you think it is yours. Today, tragically, this does appear to be the case and the latter is largely true. I think Malc sometime ago used the phrase "critical thinking" so very true in its absence. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

I think Malc sometime ago used the phrase "critical thinking"

Blimey .  I must have been on some sort of drug that fine day :unsure:

Malc

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2022 at 8:15 PM, mdj8 said:

If at the end of the day pedalling a bike is what makes you happy - go for it. Just don't hold others up whilst doing so.

Well far be it from me to ***** on this love parade but where I am, it's the cars holding the bike riders up. YMMV! 🤣

7 hours ago, MartinH said:

Well far be it from me to ***** on this love parade but where I am, it's the cars holding the bike riders up. YMMV! 🤣

Of course car drivers are holding up cyclists - in the form of financial braces do you mean? As they contribute some £40 billion a year of which some, no doubt, go on the very roads cyclists enjoy, then if there were any form of natural justice.... Well I think you know where I am going with this one 😎. Also if you choose to live in the most polluted, overcrowded crime ridden city in England then no doubt you will get held up in more ways than one 🤠

7 hours ago, MartinH said:

From my experience of driving in central london, everyone get held up. No fun at all.

2 minutes ago, Moleman said:

From my experience of driving in central london, everyone get held up. No fun at all.

Strangely I have to pay a congestion charge to sit in congested traffic, other than collect money - what does the congestion charge achieve? Anyone.

9 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Strangely I have to pay a congestion charge to sit in congested traffic, other than collect money - what does the congestion charge achieve? Anyone.

You should be asking the Mayor, Maurice !😊

31 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

You should be asking the Mayor, Maurice !😊

I know John, but would I get answer, or a green lecture in return. 😀

• Like 1

Back on topic, I have a genuine question for the cyclists on this thread. 

This morning I was on my regular weekly commute to Bristol. Before I get to the M4 in Berkshire there is a single file bridge over a canal. The bridge is controlled by traffic lights.

On the way to the bridge, at about 08.00 on a narrow b-Road - with busy traffic in both directions - I needed to pass a cyclist. Everybody waited patiently and, as far as I saw, gave a respectful passing distance. However, about half a mile later, we were held up by a red traffic light at the bridge. The cyclist caught up, and overtook the queue waiting to cross the bridge, taking up position at the front.

There isn’t room to pass a cyclist safely on the bridge. I’m aware that he did nothing ‘wrong’ by going to the front of the queue, but what he did was frustrate the drivers who had recently passed him and a couple of those in front of me did pass him, in my opinion,  far too closely.

What would the cyclists here have done? He needed to cross the bridge, but by going to the front of the queue and holding up the cars - again - he did cause a delay and some considerable frustration. Should he have held back? 

Should note that I was the third car behind him and waited until the bridge was cleared. Problem then was the queue of cars in the other direction meaning I had to wait for some time until I could pass him safely. Drivers behind me were very agitated. Is everybody simply too impatient these days? 

Answers on a postcard please! Personally I think what he did may have been legally ‘allowed’ but showed a lack of emotional intelligence…assuming others think he needed to show emotional intelligence as he was / is as entitled to use the road as anybody else.

33 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Back on topic, I have a genuine question for the cyclists on this thread. 

This morning I was on my regular weekly commute to Bristol. Before I get to the M4 in Berkshire there is a single file bridge over a canal. The bridge is controlled by traffic lights.

On the way to the bridge, at about 08.00 on a narrow b-Road - with busy traffic in both directions - I needed to pass a cyclist. Everybody waited patiently and, as far as I saw, gave a respectful passing distance. However, about half a mile later, we were held up by a red traffic light at the bridge. The cyclist caught up, and overtook the queue waiting to cross the bridge, taking up position at the front.

There isn’t room to pass a cyclist safely on the bridge. I’m aware that he did nothing ‘wrong’ by going to the front of the queue, but what he did was frustrate the drivers who had recently passed him and a couple of those in front of me did pass him, in my opinion,  far too closely.

What would the cyclists here have done? He needed to cross the bridge, but by going to the front of the queue and holding up the cars - again - he did cause a delay and some considerable frustration. Should he have held back? 

Should note that I was the third car behind him and waited until the bridge was cleared. Problem then was the queue of cars in the other direction meaning I had to wait for some time until I could pass him safely. Drivers behind me were very agitated. Is everybody simply too impatient these days? 

Answers on a postcard please! Personally I think what he did may have been legally ‘allowed’ but showed a lack of emotional intelligence…assuming others think he needed to show emotional intelligence as he was / is as entitled to use the road as anybody else.

Here in lies the essence of the argument Ed. Why should one set of users be allowed to impede the progress of others? If the "hierarchy" of users were a truly viable concept then at a primary level it follows pedestrians on the highway should be allowed to impede the progress of cyclists. Can you just imagine the outcry 🤯

5 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Here in lies the essence of the argument Ed. Why should one set of users be allowed to impede the progress of others? If the "hierarchy" of users were a truly viable concept then at a primary level it follows pedestrians on the highway should be allowed to impede the progress of cyclists. Can you just imagine the outcry 🤯

Tolerance and Respect

Respect and Tolerance

Tolerance and Respect

My Brain hurts !

24 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Tolerance and Respect

Respect and Tolerance

Tolerance and Respect

My Brain hurts !

Sounds like a firm of solicitors followed by a firm of estate agents 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

very loud sounding of the horn to get the cyclist to see some sense and move aside to let the cars pass ...  as loud and as klaxonny as possible .........  deafen 'im if 'e don't shift over 😈

Malc

On 5/11/2022 at 7:50 PM, First_Lexus said:

Answers on a postcard please! 

The answer is actually very simple, road designer need accommodate all road users, am surprised there isn't a cycle path/crossing near by?

23 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Shock horror, this is how its suppose to work. I'm using a local shared pedestrian/cycle path more due to a change in commuting destination.

I can average 20mph on the eBike, but yesterday was nearly half that, why? Because I was slowing down, following predistrians on.

It seems some of your guys think cars have priority over other road users?? That's not actually what the highway code says.

52066340139_84fbd64845_c_d.jpg

10 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

The answer is actually very simple, road designer need accommodate all road users, am surprised there isn't a cycle path/crossing near by?

Correct. Should happen where possible.

9 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

It seems some of your guys think cars have priority over other road users?? 

Come on that is not what is being said!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Moleman said:

Come on that is not what is being said!

But Maurice, you should know by now in today's world my personal needs, desires, opinions, thoughts and actions take priority over every other persons . 🤠

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Moleman said:
12 hours ago, ganzoom said:

It seems some of your guys think cars have priority over other road users?? 

and why on earth not ........."  road  " tax must surely give priority to those who pay ..  those who don't then please go to the bottom / back of the Q :thumbsup:

Malc

3 minutes ago, Malc said:

and why on earth not ........."  road  " tax must surely give priority to those who pay ..  those who don't then please go to the bottom / back of the Q :thumbsup:

Malc

You really are a naughty boy Malcolm.😇

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Malc said:

Malc

I refer my honourable friend to the answer I gave a moment ago. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links