Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Would You Buy A Rental Car?

I've found a Lexus IS300 automatic, built 2001-08, first registration 2003-04 with 25000 km on the clock. It looks like it has been a rental car (previuos owner was AVIS Sweden). I guess you could say that the car has had something like 150-300 "owners" during its year as a rental.

My firs reaction was "no way I'll buy it, I know how people drive rental cars". There's probably quite a few that know exactly how fast the car is ... On the other hand, perhaps rental cars are in better shape than privately owned cars, they have to look good otherwise the customers won't rent them or at least complain.

So, would you buy a used rental car, if it was a Lexus IS300?

Hmm... difficult one this. A lot of my friends who get rental cars often drive them quite hard - whose to say this IS300 hasn't been treated differently?

I'd get an independent mechanic to check it out for wear and tear and all the usual things first before making a decision.

:unsure: the way people drive rental cars probably not - but it being a lex and only having done such little it may be ok. (should be able to handle the thrashing its been given) Give it a thoruogh going over especially the engine!! ;)

strange rental car !

most rental cars i have had have been low cost , run of the mill cars

i would think about the type of person who would rent a lexus, probably sensible, middle aged , probably replacing his/her own luxery car

might well have had a pampered life :)

i would think about the type of person who would rent a lexus, probably sensible, middle aged , probably replacing his/her own luxery car

hmmm over 25, old 3 series driver, looking for a bit bling :blink:

Anyways get get an inspection done, its a lexus, its built to last. And like you say its probably been cleaned in and out everyday :unsure:

The Lexus is in AVIS "prestige cars" category (AVIS Prestige), which means you only can book it in a few cities and you have to contact AVIS in advance. I guess that most of the customers that put up the cash to rent a Lexus know what they want.

The fact that the dealer is 300 km from where I live doesn't make it easier ... had they been local I probably could have borrowed it over the weekend and have some time to check it out. If only it hadn't been silver metallic with the interior I want ... :crying: ;)

It does still have two years factory warranty, and it is a Lexus ... had it been an Audi or a BMW I would probably have let it go.

This is a tough one ... :unsure:

i would imagine the type of person to spend that amount to rent would not simply thrash the car

plus its probably all motorway miles.

You dont rent a luxury car t thrash it like a ford mondeo. Like me I find the slower and genteler you drive the car the better it feels as it glides.

red lining it just seems daft!

I'd agree with Steve.

A rental car will tend to be properly maintained, particularly at the higher end of the market.

These are often better buys than the 'pipe & slippers' vehicle that has only done 3000 miles a year, usually at the weekend at 30 mph in top gear... ;)

Provided the interior shows little sign of being abused, I would go for it, particularly if the price is right.

You've still got the two year warranty to fall back on.

Generally, rental / Lease cars are serviced on the dot. This being the case are in better condition (Engine wise) than most private cars.

My dad only ever buys ex lease cars for this reason and has frequently had cars with over 300,000 miles on the clock that still sound like they are new!

Ex co/lease etc can be very good buys, so it would depend on price, and i would def get it checked out privately before parting with any money.

And see if Lexus will still honour waranty of course.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links