Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Considering an SC430 - any Advice :->

MarkHodgkinson

24 minutes ago, Cactus said:

Wait. So the bluetooth cannot stream music!? What is the use of it then

barry

Hi Barry

It is needed for hands free telephone use!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cactus said:

Wait. So the bluetooth cannot stream music!? What is the use of it then

barry

It's fine for a phone call but streaming good music via blue-tooth in the SC430 would be a waste of a decent audio system.   

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 10:45 PM, Cactus said:

@Lexiguyi see.

what abt the cd player, can it play mp3 cd or just old fashioned cd

I don't think it supported MP3CD until the very last 2009/10 models.

I have read that some 06 onwards units in the US can play MP3CD and other owners say they don't work. I didn't ever try one in the original CD player. I have an Alpine HU installed now so I can't quickly check.

19 hours ago, Neil E said:

I don't think it supported MP3CD until the very last 2009/10 models.

I have read that some 06 onwards units in the US can play MP3CD and other owners say they don't work. I didn't ever try one in the original CD player. I have an Alpine HU installed now so I can't quickly check.

@Neil ENo worries. I will find out when i pick mine up next week 🤭

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cactus said:

Hi Cactus

Hope you get it OK and don't forget we need pics when you get it, we are all excited to see your new car!

Also tell us about what you find with it and what you are going to do.

Anthony 

14 hours ago, Cactus said:

@Lexiguy fingers crossed! First time taking a train to pick up a car. Excited
barry

Hi Barry

Where are you collecting it from, when I bought mine there were two in the frame, a blue one in Glasgow and a Silver one in Bedford. 

I ended up with the one from Bedford because they offered to transport it up for me so I could buy it or send it back. I they had not made that offer I would have had a long journey from Yorkshire to either place!

Not surprised you are excited, what colour are you getting and what day are you going?

Anthony 

On 3/16/2022 at 5:11 PM, Cactus said:

Very exciting, I don't think you will be disappointed but will be very interested to hear what you think of it. 

• Like 1

@Lexiguy you shall know very soon. Monday coming 🙂  

cost of delivery is quite high now, the petrol prices probably are not helping. Worked out a lot cheaper (like a road tax cheaper) as i manage to find an off peak train ticket.

Plus this is one of those car that is perfect for long distance cruising, ought to grasp this opportunity

@Neil E i have test driven one a few months back when i started looking. So have a rough idea of wt it is like. Yea, fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

Hi all

back in one piece. It was a two hours journey on the train from newcastle and a three hours drive back from Grantham. Managed to get 32mpg so pretty pleased with that despite how fast i was going.

Aside from wear and tear on the paintwork and interior, so far so good. Full lexus service history, cambelt done when it should in 2016. New shocks and springs when recently serviced at lexus lincoln. I even saw the typical lexus video when it was recently serviced which commented on the underside which is holding well but the stock exhaust is having some corrosion but no leaks so will keep an eye on that.

Matching pirelli all four corners.

Have noticed the wind noise coming from the nearside wing mirror. Normal? Or the cabin is too quiet. Dun think there is much i can do about that. 

it gets up to speed much quicker than i anticipated. The lack of noise from the engine probably plays a part in this.

roof wise, it works. Not sure on leaks yet, will find out eventually.

The audio/speakers are working and somehow my amazon cassette Bluetooth converter is operational too.

9F9031E9-CE7B-4631-A9B8-F564DAA144DD.thumb.jpeg.be948ff0be143d35fda13182c4207422.jpeg

Barry

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Cactus said:

Have noticed the wind noise coming from the nearside wing mirror. Normal?

hey, good it's all looking great so far ......  that wind noise

just thinking I read somewhere a while ago, here somewhere, the Forum anyway ..  about a simple add-on to the mirror area somehow that stopped that wind noise

Don't think i imagined it .......  might take some searching thru' the Forum's posts tho'

Good hunting

Malc

• Like 3

Hi Barry

it looks very good, well done.

Is the interior ivory with maple wood? I didn't realise how dirty mine was until I had it professionally cleaned.

20210822_112525.thumb.jpg.be980db38e57847441425ba5a728c08c.jpg

I haven't experienced any wind noise from my ns door mirror so it isn't a quirk of SC430's and so it should be able to sort it.

Good mpg but don't expect that for short runs, hilly terrain and winter weather!

Have you visited your local Lexus dealer so they can build you and your car on their system and check for any outstanding recalls and be prepared to book in for work or get parts prices. I have found them very helpful.

Have fun and if you are ever around my way let me know and we can meet up.

Anthony

4 hours ago, Malc said:

hey, good it's all looking great so far ......  that wind noise

just thinking I read somewhere a while ago, here somewhere, the Forum anyway ..  about a simple add-on to the mirror area somehow that stopped that wind noise

Don't think i imagined it .......  might take some searching thru' the Forum's posts tho'

Good hunting

Malc

Yes quite right, there are a few threads on it over on cl and possibly here but not in the other obvious place as the site is down.

One problem is that the window weather-strip can wear/fail. Try running your finger along the seal to see if it goes quiet at a certain point or tape it up to see if that has an effect before buying a new window rubber.

I also remember reading that the noise can increase if the door mirror isn't quite seated correctly and I recall this happened with mine at one point when I had the door apart to upgrade the speakers. 

• Like 2

@Lexiguy yes ivory interior. Its in acceptable condition so i will probably leave it as it is for now.

@Neil E thanks! Yea i read something on clublexus mentioning abt the weather strip. Will check it again when i have time.

barry

• Like 3

@Lexiguy@Neil E

have you guys got stock exhaust on? Do you guys know much abt muffler delete and how bad the drones are? Pondering if should give it more noise.

i found a few issues now on my SC. Taking to lexus dealer next week. Electrical stuff, hopefully they can sort.

The wind noise on door mirror is from the rubber triangle thing, vaseline seems to improve the issue for now, will get a quote for a replacement.

I noted some bubbling noise also only in the morning on start up behind the dash. not present when i used the car in the afternoon. Online research points to expansion tank or air in the radiator. Hopefully nothing serious.

barry

• Like 1

My exhaust has developed in stages and now consists of PPE headers, 2 primary cats, third cat delete, Y merge pipe to straight pipes (resonators deleted) to large rear box and dual twin ovals. 307 bhp not too loud and no drone.🙂  Adsog - there's some exhaust content at 6 mins and 12 mins.

The gurgle behind the dash is common, probably just a little air and normally nothing to worry about but yes check the radiator and the expansion tank condition carefully.

• Like 2

Hi Barry

I have just seen this clip on utube and seriously considering rear box delete and two straight pipes like this mod.

Lexus SC430 Custom Exhaust: How to make the Lexus SC430  

TGH CUSTOMS

Ant

Screenshot_20220326-093210_YouTube.thumb.jpg.53f16146ed723dca234de68e1724818e.jpg

• Like 1

@Lexiguyi have been thinking long and hard abt this. For this summer i will leave it stock, feels like i am ruining the car in some way when it is designed to be quiet and comfortable. 

barry

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lexiguy said:

Hi Barry

I have just seen this clip on utube and seriously considering rear box delete and two straight pipes like this mod.

Lexus SC430 Custom Exhaust: How to make the Lexus SC430  

TGH CUSTOMS

Ant

Screenshot_20220326-093210_YouTube.thumb.jpg.53f16146ed723dca234de68e1724818e.jpg

I've said it many times, deleting the rear box will make it loud. In my view deleting the centre resonators and retaining a large rear silencer is the better option for that V8 sound with fewer decibels to contend with in the cabin. You won't get the high end rasp like mine, that's mostly due to the headers that flow the exhaust gas more efficiently.

45 minutes ago, Cactus said:

@Lexiguyi have been thinking long and hard abt this. For this summer i will leave it stock, feels like i am ruining the car in some way when it is designed to be quiet and comfortable. 

barry

@CactusI agree Barry, keeping it quiet retains the true character of the car. When I first added the headers, the car had resonators and a rear box. It was quicker with just a hint of a sporty note from the aftermarket exhaust. Later I had the exhaust builder remove the resonators but sleeve the straight pipes so that they could be put back in if it was too loud. When the job was done he looked at me and said 'listen to how good that sounds, you will never put them back on.' I wasn't convinced but he was right. They must still in the back of my garage. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links