Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So called space saver

Spark plug

You only realise how big of a deal spare wheel is when you get puncture in the car without one... and you have bottle of useless glue and are stuck on the side of the road. It saved me at least 3-4 times and I always try to avoid cars without spare wheel. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

This reminds me....I really ought to check whether my spare can even still be fitted on the front. I've never test-fitted it since putting GS brakes on.

I think same spares were available across the range - IS250, 300, 350 and IS-F, so you may be alright... but it would be best to find out before you need to fit it on the side of the road 😄 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

Or for emergency use only, and you get a puncture on front, put a rear one on, and the space saver on the rear.

Not all cars come with same size/ET rims and tyres front and rear. The rears of my RC wouldn't fit on the front

7 minutes ago, scudney said:

I have got 2 full size spares in my boot, one for the front and one for the rear,call it ocd if you like,never liked the space savers lol 😆 

They are certainly not perfect, but still better than no-space saver. Guess how do I know... 

Unfortunately nearly all models from various manufacturers no longer provide a full size spare in or under the boot and of the few that do only provide a space saver.  I have also used the spare a few times over the years in different  cars.  When I looked at the market before buying my RX I ruled out various cars because they only came with a pressurised tin of stuff (inadequate in some situations) or with run flats as on BMW X3.  So, some buyers would still rather cars at least came with the option of a spare in a suitably designed place and not just placed loose above the boot carpet and secured as best you can as a customer aftermarket addition.  

Having to check the pressure of the spare and top up as necessary is a small inconvenience compared to what can happen with a major puncture or blow out without one.

• Like 1

I've been trying my local scrap yards for a couple of spares but no luck yet. I'm glad it happened at home and not far from the place I bought the tyres. It would have not been good on a long run and no where open to fix it. For it didn't feel safe even  at 30mph never mind being on a motorway 

On 2/23/2022 at 4:47 PM, scudney said:

I have got 2 full size spares in my boot, one for the front and one for the rear,call it ocd if you like,never liked the space savers lol 😆 

So called ‘Space Saver’ spare wheels are Also known as ‘Fuel Savers’ by manufactures trying to reduce vehicle weight and Up the mpg!. Imagine ( at todays prices! ) the cost of transporting a full size spare wheel & tyre for 100,000 miles ( that could possibly Never actually be used!)  Let alone TWO!!! Ouch £££’s 😀😀😀

2 hours ago, Texas said:

So called ‘Space Saver’ spare wheels are Also known as ‘Fuel Savers’ by manufactures trying to reduce vehicle weight and Up the mpg!. Imagine ( at todays prices! ) the cost of transporting a full size spare wheel & tyre for 100,000 miles ( that could possibly Never actually be used!)  Let alone TWO!!! Ouch £££’s 😀😀😀

there is very little differents in weight between the space saver and alloy wheels as it's metal.  

On 2/23/2022 at 2:19 PM, Linas.P said:

You only realise how big of a deal spare wheel is when you get puncture in the car without one... and you have bottle of useless glue and are stuck on the side of the road. It saved me at least 3-4 times and I always try to avoid cars without spare wheel. 

So true but would still rather have a proper spare as I would not want to travel far on the space saver. Tyre shops don't open 24 7. And as I do most of my driving in the evenings a puncture without a proper spare can be a real pain 

On 2/23/2022 at 4:47 PM, scudney said:

How do you deal with direction of rotation? 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links