Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 1 weeks ownership

2 minutes ago, Alfalfa said:

There vil be no difrence in the driving, but you have to sheck if there is oil in the catch can and take out the oil before the can is full.

Does it works?  Acording many US stories they colect oil ind the can, this oil vil not reach the engine,  if its importent is not that easy to tell, but since Carbon build up is a common problem fore some kind of engine and the is250 engine is one of them i did the job, less than 60£ all included and easy to do.

My car is not in use in the Winter anymore so i have only tried the car about 50km vith the can instaled, so i have not checked the can fore oil, but the car run as before.

On 3/6/2022 at 1:05 PM, Linas.P said:

I didn't say it takes 3 hours, but that is what it is listed as. And it is not unreasonable. To correctly remove the pan without bending anything and praying it out definitely cannot be done in 5 minutes, probably closer to 20 min, but 3 hours are for entire job, refilling, warming-up so it is about right to be honest.

I guess the price is fair if he does change the filter etc. A vid of one of those machines on youtube.

Watched 3 or 4 vids online and only one did the filter, the rest just dropped the fluid and topped up. They did mention you had to do this 3 or 4 times to make it worth while. One guy kept going on about fluid level and an overfill bolt that you had to take out. I was just wondering why they didnt just measure what came out and put the same back in..(but what do i know)

Rear diff looked pretty straight forward.

8 minutes ago, SeanR said:

One guy kept going on about fluid level and an overfill bolt that you had to take out. I was just wondering why they didnt just measure what came out and put the same back in..(but what do i know)

Rear diff looked pretty straight forward.

The procedure is rather specific, even the overfill bolt is useless if procedure is not done correctly. Basically to ensure right level of fluid, the fluid temperature must be correct, so procedure includes running the car on the lift after change of fluid, going thought gears, getting fluid up-to temp and only then measuring the level. 

• Like 1

Thank you

At the risk of not wanting to start another thread and bore you guys to death, just one last quick question.

Ive read the water pumps can start to fail at 70k, just wondering what the chances are of mine having been replaced already at 86k

Got the Lexus history but no receipts for this, any way to find out ?

Water pump is 60k miles service item so should have been done with 60k service. You are right, there is increased risk of them failing just after ~80k and it could result in overheating, which as far as I know only realistic way to kill the engine in this car.

You can check and see how your water pump looks. If it was replaced just 16k miles ago it should look relatively shiny compared to the rest of the engine, which should be quite crusty after 12 years. Aluminium corrodes with like white crust, so see if there is a difference between the block and the pump. 

As well, indication for water pump failing would be pink crust either around water-pump or around expansion tank. This is not definitive proof, but if there is pink crust then I would investigate water pump more carefully. 

• Like 1

Hmmmmm “Water pump is 60k miles service item”

I’m not sure it is, would be nice but it’s not down as a ‘replace’ item in service schedule. Or mentioned at all!

CCA2A327-85DF-4C29-84BD-EC4A0C3C2EB9.png

• Like 1

Yeah... I was convinced it as 60k or 80k service, but water pump indeed is not scheduled item until it starts leaking or making noise. So this ~70k miles may be just recommended mileage. Perhaps another assumption is that many owners had theirs replaced at 60k miles service. Likewise on my previous car I have seen it done at 64k miles, so I just assumed this is part of 60k service. It seems that this is the time when dealers tries to add it as recommended job with big service, perhaps even upselling prematurely. 

Just been watching a video on youtube about changing the water pump, something i would have a go at rather than pay someone big bucks to do.

Even just looking at the pump, all these plastic covers in the way, where they really necessary 

16 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Yeah... I was convinced it as 60k or 80k service, but water pump indeed is not scheduled item until it starts leaking or making noise. So this ~70k miles may be just recommended mileage. Perhaps another assumption is that many owners had theirs replaced at 60k miles service. Likewise on my previous car I have seen it done at 64k miles, so I just assumed this is part of 60k service. It seems that this is the time when dealers tries to add it as recommended job with big service, perhaps even upselling prematurely. 

That's interesting.. mine has never been changed. 167,000miles, 2008 car. Spark plugs have only been done once at ~60k as well.. it was on its original Battery until tail end of 2020 as well. I better put some £££ aside for things that should've gone bad tens of thousands of miles ago 🤣 I'm not replacing or fixing something that isn't broken.

Here's the 60K service schedule for anybody ineterested:  ( Taken from:  https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/service/maintenance-schedules  )

MODEL / YEARIS 250 2010

ENGINEV6 - 4GR-FSE

TRANSMISSION6AT

DRIVE2WD4WD2WD

SERVICE INTERVAL--Select--1K Miles /1Months5K Miles /6Months10K Miles /12Months15K Miles /18Months20K Miles /24Months25K Miles /30Months30K Miles /36Months35K Miles /42Months40K Miles /48Months45K Miles /54Months50K Miles /60Months55K Miles /66Months60K Miles /72Months65K Miles /78Months70K Miles /84Months75K Miles /90Months80K Miles /96Months85K Miles /102Months90K Miles /108Months95K Miles /114Months100K Miles /120Months105K Miles /126Months110K Miles /132Months115K Miles /138Months120K Miles /144Months125K Miles /150Months130K Miles /156Months135K Miles /162Months140K Miles /168Months145K Miles /174Months150K Miles /180Months
FACTORY RECOMMENDED SERVICE FOR 60K MILES /72MONTHS
print-icon.jpgPRINT
  • Reset Oil Maintenance Reminder, if Oil was Changed
  • Perform Road-Test on Vehicle
  • Rotate Tires
  • Inspect Axle Shaft Boots
  • Inspect Body
  • Inspect Front Differential Oil (4WD/AWD, If Applicable)
  • Inspect Transfer Case For Signs Of Leakage (4WD/AWD, If Applicable)
  • Inspect Transmission for Signs of Leakage
  • Inspect Ball Joints And Dust Covers
  • Inspect Brake Lines And Hoses
  • Inspect Rear Differential Oil
  • Inspect Engine Coolant
  • Inspect Steering Linkage And Boots
  • Inspect Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs
    (Thickness Measurement And Runout.)
  • Inspect Exhaust Pipes And Mountings
  • Inspect Steering Gear Box/Rack And Pinion
  • Inspect Drive Belts
  • Inspect Fuel Lines And Connections, Fuel Tank Band And Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
  • Inspect Fuel Tank Cap Gasket
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Replace Smart Key Battery
  • Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter
    (Reset "Maint Reqd" Light If Equipped after maintenance at every 5,000 miles.)
  • Replace Spark Plugs
    (Required Under Terms Of Emission Control Warranty.)
  • Replace Engine Air Filter
  • Replace Cabin Air Filter (If Equipped)
SPECIAL DRIVING CONDITIONS
ALSO RECOMMENDED WHEN DRIVING ON DIRT ROADS OR ON DUSTY ROADS
  • Torque Nuts And Bolts On Chassis And Body 
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 2:16 PM, SeanR said:

Just been watching a video on youtube about changing the water pump, something i would have a go at rather than pay someone big bucks to do.

Even just looking at the pump, all these plastic covers in the way, where they really necessary 

Changed my water pump about a year ago (just after I did a major service which included replacing the coolant...) and with the AISIN waterpump (oem manufacturer I believe) and coolant supplied by myself I think it totaled to just under £250. I think labour was about £75 - well worth it for the pain of coolant spilling everywhere on your drive. Make sure you get the toyota/lexus coolant as apparently regular pink/red coolant is not a 100% match for the oem spec

• Like 1

Thank you, seen there is quite a lot of Toyota red coolant for sale on eBay.

Coincidently, took a look under the bonnet earlier and one of the belt pulley wheels caught my eye. 2 of the bolts that hold it on look a lot newer than the other bolts, in fact look pretty recent.

This is the pulley in front of the water pump, so maybe it has already been changed. I cant see any other reason why someone would have removed a pulley wheel

Original fitment is Toyota Pink long life coolant. 

Be carefull where you purchase as with nearly eyerything you can buy on the internet there is a lot of fake copy product out there.

Your local Toyota/Lexus dealer is your best source for peace of mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Thank you, seen there is quite a lot of Toyota red coolant for sale on Ebay.

Coincidently, took a look under the bonnet earlier and one of the belt pulley wheels caught my eye. 2 of the bolts that hold it on look a lot newer than the other bolts, in fact look pretty recent.

This is the pulley in front of the water pump, so maybe it has already been changed. I cant see any other reason why someone would have removed a pulley wheel

I would monitor it then - mine showed white salt like deposits just below the water pump and small pools of coolant - so keep an eye for that and change it when necessary. I don't think they'll just explode all of a sudden. 

10 minutes ago, Beamish said:

Original fitment is Toyota Pink long life coolant. 

Be carefull where you purchase as with nearly eyerything you can buy on the internet there is a lot of fake copy product out there.

Your local Toyota/Lexus dealer is your best source for peace of mind.

Declan is right here - you need pink long life coolant. lexuspartsdirect.co.uk is a reputable source and often better priced than eBay for oem service items. 

And btw my waterpump was changed at about 93k miles 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links