Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX 450h+ electric and petrol range

The indicated total range is a bit optimistic if you do any dual carriageway motoring.  But that said in urban/rural use we are getting that 45 miles electric range and when in pure petrol ~45mpg

(Of course if we do a journey where the petrol mode kicks in in the last mile or two it shows ridiculous 100+ mpg which is technically true but misleading)  

I think it's impressive for a 4x4 

• Like 2

Just over 1 week in and I’m seeing 43 miles of electric only range. 
Every journey we’ve done so far requires us to join a dual carriageway 2 miles after leaving home with a series of roundabouts after the first 7 miles so happy with the range keeping in mind that I cruise at 65-70 on the dual carriageway.

Have a 400 mile round trip to do this coming weekend so looking forward to seeing the consumption for that.

• Like 1

I get an indicated 50 miles of ev range and indeed completed a journey of 51 miles recently involving 20 miles of motorway with the whole distance covered in ev mode.

• Like 2

I’m hoping mine will improve Ken when we try it going in a different direction from home.
All those roundabouts, some of which you need to quickly accelerate in to a gap when one appears, will no doubt adversely affect the range just as they did fuel consumption in all of our previous cars. 

Anyone else looked at their 'Hybrid Coaching' scores in the Lexus App.  It shows how well (ie economically) you are using the available energy?  I usually score around 90/100 so can't be that heavy footed.

And that 90/100 equated to a displayed 2.9 miles/kwh which should be an electric range of 52 miles but it seems (wisely) the pure electric mode cancels at around the 40 to 45 mile point ensuring there is some Battery reserve for overtaking etc 

TBH I don’t think the hybrid score is too helpful at times since the way you drive any car does sometimes depend on the traffic conditions. It is not always possible, for instance, to accelerate smoothly at busy roundabouts unless you want to get side swiped by another car coming round at a certain speed.

However, my miles/KWh is showing 2.7 & I’m happy with the 43miles on electric range given the type of roads & traffic conditions that it has been done on.

39 minutes ago, Stevek13 said:

Anyone else looked at their 'Hybrid Coaching' scores in the Lexus App.  It shows how well (ie economically) you are using the available energy?  I usually score around 90/100 so can't be that heavy footed.

I would take more notice of the Hybrid Coaching scores if it didn't miss out entire journeys or even days 🙄

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RXtoNX said:

TBH I don’t think the hybrid score is too helpful at times since the way you drive any car does sometimes depend on the traffic conditions. It is not always possible, for instance, to accelerate smoothly at busy roundabouts unless you want to get side swiped by another car coming round at a certain speed.

However, my miles/KWh is showing 2.7 & I’m happy with the 43miles on electric range given the type of roads & traffic conditions that it has been done on.

I have seen my NX indicate as high as 3.4 miles per kWh but generally it is at 3.0 to 3.2.

• Like 1

I filled up on day one (1st March) with odometer showing 29 miles. I've filled up today with odometer showing 3838, not put any fuel in between. Today put in 39 litres (8.58 gallons) to fill again. That works out at 444 miles per gallon.

I am not naive enough to think that this is a true representation, so I thought if I add the cost of the fuel (£65) to the cost of all my electric charges (£255.82), divide that by todays fuel price per litre (£1.669) after converting to gallons, this will provide an equivalent number of gallons to the total cost, then divide miles covered (3809) by the equivalent gallons: 

All fuel cost 65 + 255.82 = £320.82 

Cost per gallon 166.9*4.54609 = £7.587

320.82/7.587 = 42.29 gallons

3809/42.29 = 90.06 mpg

Sits back and waits for those cleverer than me to blow my theory/calculation/premise out of the water.

What have I missed?

I'll do the same calc again when I've been to Southampton and back in the next couple of weeks, se what's changed.

Impressive that you are only on the 1st refill!

My initial calculation was along the same lines and close to your overall result. Have been undertaking some longer journeys of late without recharging so will report soon on the overall mpg.

Latest p,U.K. in range has increased to 46miles and efficiency to 3.0miles/kWh .

On our journey back from S Yorkshire to Suffolk, entirely on petrol & travelling at around the speed limits, but mostly dual carriageway & motorway, the car showed 49.5mpg. Not yet refilled it to check the actual brim to brim mpg though.

I'm getting similarly impressive results from mine.  Filled up on the day I picked it up and I'm 2500 miles in and still have 3 bars of fuel.  Admittedly it's all about the use case (ie: lots of short journeys on EV) but I'm mighty impressed with the overall consumption.  For such a big car with so many features I can't see anything else that comes even mildly close in the market.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marc Jolly said:

I'm getting similarly impressive results from mine.  Filled up on the day I picked it up and I'm 2500 miles in and still have 3 bars of fuel.  Admittedly it's all about the use case (ie: lots of short journeys on EV) but I'm mighty impressed with the overall consumption.  For such a big car with so many features I can't see anything else that comes even mildly close in the market.

Interesting Recent Car History in your signature block. When things aren't just as we would like with our cars (and lots of other things too!), we tend to think the grass is always green on the other side and are quick to criticise without necessarily balancing up those thoughts with the alternatives.

1 hour ago, Joey020 said:

Confused, my app indicated 39miles at 100% when I picked up the car and now when charged to 100%, it indicates 40miles. How are people getting it to indicate 50 miles?

I’ve had 46miles but yesterday was 40miles.

Driving style is one thing, smooth acceleration, steady braking & speed, but traffic & road conditions is a major factor. If you have to accelerate quickly at busy roundabouts & junctions, for example, to be able to utilise a gap rather than sit there for 15minutes then 50miles will never be possible imo.

10 hours ago, Joey020 said:

Confused, my app indicated 39miles at 100% when I picked up the car and now when charged to 100%, it indicates 40miles. How are people getting it to indicate 50 miles?

With climate control off and in eco mode I can get and indicated 52 miles. Have achieved a round trip of 51 miles on ev which included motorway driving.

Mine is now indicating ~ 60 miles EV range after a charge (the range has been slowly creeping up with each charge) but a journey today achieved more like 46 miles range albeit with about 10 miles on a motorway at 70 mph and 3 people in the car. Still impressive though!

• Like 1

Took the NX for detailing this morning, picking it upon Thurs late afternoon. Along the B roads from our house to Snetterton it covered 38 miles and on arrival there was 14.2 miles left in the EV range, so happy with the EV range on that trip & confirms my view that road & traffic conditions affect the range as much as driving style. Range indicator was showing 3.7 miles/kWh.

I read the What Car latest long term report on the NX yesterday and the guy was talking about how he puts it in to HV mode for longer trips and switches the car to EV mode in towns etc whenever he feels that it would improve the overall mpg. He reckons that this is more beneficial than running the EV range down over the first 40-45 miles and that fuel consumption also improves because the car will engage EV running more in HV mode when there is a higher charge left in the EV batteries rather than running it to the 30% level.

I must admit it does sound a bit convoluted but wondered if anyone has tried doing the same.

10 hours ago, Ken R said:

Meant to say that 3.7miles per kwh is impressive! Best I have achieved is 3.4 to date!

Purely empty B roads pottering along at 45-50 mph where possible since there are many villages along the route with 30mph limits.

I wouldn’t normally keep the speed down to that level on the open road but I did this time as an experiment to convince myself that the car can achieve the 50+ mile range.

Not questioning your achievements Ken, just had to prove that me & my car can break through that barrier.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 9:57 AM, malcolmw said:

Also take into account wind direction and speed. In Hampshire the prevailing winds are south westerly so, in general, the wind will be behind you going to London and against you going back to Hampshire.

For the Lexus Hypermiler community

Google Maps has a cool feature for Cyclists where it will show the gradient for a given journey.  Even though this feature is not shown for car journeys, a car using the M3 this should hold some similarity in terms of elevation profile. 

During a moment of boredom whilst listening to an un-interesting conference call,  I plotted an example the journey from Rownhams services Southampton to London LHR airport which for the most part uses the A30 *(cyclist route). The elevation changes from 39ft @ LHR to 558ft where the apogee being close to Basingstoke.   Rownhams also seems to show that at the start this is a little bit higher in elevation making the gradient out of Hampshire being a little less demanding.   Taking into consideration all theories, elevation/gradient,  prevaling wind, vehicle speed and fact that the longest part of the journey is a downward gradient, this would support the statements here for a London bound journey through Hampshire being more efficient than a Southampton bound journey from London in terms of fuel efficiency.

252545785_GMCapture.thumb.PNG.cdf3db770dfe02575be888a869e662ad.PNG

image.png.fe7f8a7078f87e3073e0502b4a93bf8a.png

Why cant they show this elevation map for Car Journeys?   The hypermilers would love it.

🤔🤔🤔🥱

• Like 1

A full charge of approx 15kW costs me about £4.20 at 28p/kWh and gives me approx 45 miles

The same distance using petrol would use about 1 gallon - currently about £7.20 (£1.60/litre)

If the cost of electricity doubles or more as predicted it will become cheaper to not charge it at all and use petrol ! So pointless having a plug and painful for people with full electric cars ! 🤔 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links